Todays riddle. Only elite cable and DIYers apply. Rest don´t have a chance I believe ;)
Jan 25, 2012 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

oqvist

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay.

I have a LCD-2 Rev1 and Rev2 with identical mini XLR connections. I have three cables for them already.
I get a fourth cable. Use it on the Rev2 works flawless.
I connect it to the Rev1 and only get sound out of the right channel. I switch them around still only the right channel.
I switch back to my old cables they all work as they always has.
I switch back to the new cable and mess around but I can´t make the slightest bit of noise out of the left driver.
But they both do work on the right as well as both Rev 2 connectors.

No visible sign of wear or physical defects on the Rev1 L or R connectors. Pins are by blind eye as new. Hasn´t messed around with them much.
Nothing loose it clicks and all also with the new adapters.

What on earth can cause this? There is nothing seemingly wrong with either the LCD-2s or any of the cables yet ít doesn´t work in tandem with the L Rev1 driver.

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 6
I've encountered this phenomenon a couple of times. I've pretty much chalked it up to manufacturing tolerances in the connectors. Not much to be done about it except to re-terminate the cable's one channel and hope the tolerance stars align in a favorable way.

Good luck!

se

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 6
Wait a sec - do you mean that with this faulty cable, when you switch the right earcup connector to the left side, the right cup still makes no sound?  Or does the problem migrate to the other side?  In any case it's probably a bad mini xlr plug.

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
I've encountered this phenomenon a couple of times. I've pretty much chalked it up to manufacturing tolerances in the connectors. Not much to be done about it except to re-terminate the cable's one channel and hope the tolerance stars align in a favorable way.

Good luck!

se

Suppose it has to be something like that but still find it strange and totally surreal.

@scootermafia I don´t think I can say the cable is defective since it works flawless on the Rev2 and the right driver of the R1 for both channels.

It would then be the left XLR connector on my Rev1 that for some reason don´t enjoy neutrick HD connectors. But this type of connector has been tried and tested and it´s just 100 % the same as the other mini XLR adapters on previous cables. 
But I recon I would try some other type of connectors and just hope for the best. If now that wouldn´t work what on earth could it be. I have tried to provoke a loose connection with my other cables but it´s just not possible loose signal on those. Just like I can´t get any signal of the new cable no matter what.

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 6
No signal may mean that it's out of phase, because the LCD headphones when out of phase produce no sound, not just a faint sound.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 6
Replacement cable and I have not had a single problem with my Rev1. So it does appear to be something with it´s XLR connector on the first.

However I have another equally weird issue that started to occur at the same time I got the replacement cable on my Rev 2 this time. Not the Rev1 that was problematic before.

Now the left driver generally don´t cut but gets lower volume. Sometimes it cut just about entirely. It has happened two times where I would do my cycle on 4 different amps, three different sources and three different cables with the same result. Left driver not working properly. no distortion just lower volume. Was doing the cycle for a couple of days and prepare it for rma but then it automagically start to operate normally again after not being used for a day or two.

Working fine for some weeks of not so heavy use. Some occasion with lower volume on the left driver but thought I had some issues with my usb extender since it was easilly fixed fiddling some there.

Two days ago the left driver again though started acting up in my living room setup. Now I also got distortion in the left channel otherwise similar story. the trouble shooting cycle again had no effect same story no matter what. Letting it rest for a day and got it back up and running like nothing happened?

It´s like my LCD-2s is possessed by the devil or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back