today's headlines
Oct 31, 2002 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
I gather a few of you watch the news a lot of check news sites frequently. I'm not really looking to debate any single news item but do any of the rest of you guys ever just stand in utter disbelief at how surreal the news is some days?

With that in mind, I wanted to share some of CNN.com's top stories today:

Top Story: "Mondale gets the nod." For those of you who don't know, this is an ex-vice president now running for Senate. The competition is quoted as saying "it's like running against Mount Rushmore." Before you know it, Al Gore will be thinking he can run for the presidency. ...

"FEDS DENY THWARTING CONFESSION" Basically the Sniper figured out that he had the right to remain silent and they're now arguing about it. "Ok, who told? Dammit, now we'll have to give him due process!"

"Manhunt launched for fugitive priest" This guy is being accused of child molestation dating back to the 70s. When charges were brought up, he took a Caribbean cruise, came back and then disappeared.

"Run DMC rapper slain in recording studio" Yes, Jam Master Jay has passed on.

"Bush meets top U.N. inspector on Iraq" Apparently North Korea's leader is making Saddam Hussein look like a wimp. But then again maybe the inspectors just haven't tried the direct approach, "Are you sure you don't have any weapons?" "Well, let me check again.... d'oh, you're right, I forgot we had those."

"Canada issues U.S. travel warning" After Septermber 11, the US figured out that some people of some nations may be more likely than the average person of supporting one of the large extremist organizations in their country. Canada has decided this is "unfriendly" and warned them not to come here. Fine with me but those terrorists are going to have a hell of a time finding buildings tall enough to crash into in the great white north. "2 eskimos and a penguin die in igloo bombing. Film at 11."

"Witness says she saw Ryder cutting tags" Poor Wynona. If only they'd made Beetlejuice II, she'd have not had to steal her clothes. Day-O

"University gunman sent 22-page letter to newspaper" Before killing himself and 3 other people at an Arizona Nursing College thsi guy wrote a long letter that included a lot of things to prove he wasn't crazy and whatnot. I'm reminded of the Daffy Duck cartoon where he kills himself on stage to try to get people to applause. The guy practically includes a resume.

Very very strange world we live in these days.

Oct 31, 2002 at 8:27 AM Post #2 of 10
The 22 page letter was an interesting read though I have to say. The guy did have a lot of things go wrong his way (if the letter was taken to be a true account) ... but I don't think that can justify his actions. On a side note, caught a few grammatical errors in there ...
eek.gif

Oct 31, 2002 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 10
And our dear Russian firends finally come clean about the gas they used to end the Chechnian siege...of course by now everybody had figured out the type of gas it was anyway...and the Chechnian rebels have certainly figured out they need to add gas masks to their terrorist hostage taking kits...

Oct 31, 2002 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I gather a few of you watch the news a lot of check news sites frequently. I'm not really looking to debate any single news item but do any of the rest of you guys ever just stand in utter disbelief at how surreal the news is some days?

That is why I visit The Onion.

Not much different than the examples you stated.

Oct 31, 2002 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 10
Headlines are great entertainment. As is the rest of the news.

I like how small, earthquake-prone Italian towns are 'villages' according to the BBC. Have you ever heard a British or American town called a village? "An unidentified man successfully pulled a sword from a stone in a small Massachusetts village yesterday. ..."

Latest sign that the Saudis remain our staunch allies: "For the first time since 1990, Iraq reopens its border with Saudi Arabia in a sign of growing friendship between the former Gulf War enemies."

Of course the most fun European news, as always, pertains to soccer and ethnic hostility: "Football fans pelt the Greek and Turkish foreign ministers with plastic seats and bottles at a landmark club match in Istanbul."

And how about CNN's latest great idea: studio tours! Visit the wonderland of current events today! Fun for the whole family!

kerely

Oct 31, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
I like how small, earthquake-prone Italian towns are 'villages' according to the BBC. Have you ever heard a British or American town called a village? "An unidentified man successfully pulled a sword from a stone in a small Massachusetts village yesterday. ..."

interesting, but i actually live in the village of scarsdale, which is in new york. my trusty online dictionary says:

village
n 1: a community of people smaller than a town [syn: {small town},
{settlement}]
2: a settlement smaller than a town [syn: {hamlet}]
3: a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village'
became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th
century [syn: {Greenwich Village}, {Village}]

it just means a place smaller than a town. it says a town is "a collection of houses larger than a village" so that doesn't really give any help on the difference between the two. but yes, i agree that it is pretty funny how cnn seems to have such odd ways of forming headlines and it's interesting that they seem to use the word "village" while trying to enforce a connotation of being uncivilized or whatever.

i'd read/watch the news more often, but i generally find it more depressing than amusing.

Oct 31, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 10
There are numerous villages in Illinois as well. I live in one of them. We do not have a mayor but instead a Village President. Not many Hamlets though.

Oct 31, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #10 of 10
lol, yeah, the news rules. grown up people running countries! but once you realise it's all actually really happening...kinda depressing isn't it...

still, coffee, a sandwich and the paper is the way to start a day IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back