Today is a sad day!
Sep 22, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #16 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Maybe it's just me but my XP Pro install right now has an uptime of 18 days (restarted for a new LCD monitor) and the last time I saw a BSOD was well over 5 years ago
confused.gif

its not just you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
I know. It's like learning a new language. Even if i was blind, i can probably do anything on the PC. Now my eyes are wide open and i'm AM blind. I feel like i lost one of my senses.

dont worry youve probibly mastered OS-X already, it not an illusion theres really nothing to do. i learned how to autohide the dock and now high-school girls are so impressed they think im a hacker.

Sep 22, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #17 of 60
I haven't posted ina while, but one comment here warrents a reply.

Quote:

This makes me laugh. Ok, he was a little overboard saying only 4 games, but looking at the list of games and such, I see MANY top games not listed. Trying to say a Mac plays games is like saying a kia is fit for the indy 500.

Sure you could show up in a $10k kia at the indy, and people will laugh, just like trying to play gamer's games on a Mac. I'll admit a MAC is nice for "screwing off" off on, and doing pretty little media stuff.. but serious gaming it is not.

..looking at that list again.. I mean comeon... no HL 2, F.E.A.R, Prey, oo UT ...2004!! is on there... laugh.

Sep 22, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #18 of 60
It's a good analogy...

if only it made sense here, which sadly, it doesn't.

Are you even remotely familiar with the architecture of intel macs, and how that would make your post have zero validity?

It's there, it can handle the code, just more people have to bother, that's really all there is to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewtz
I haven't posted ina while, but one comment here warrents a reply.

This makes me laugh. Ok, he was a little overboard saying only 4 games, but looking at the list of games and such, I see MANY top games not listed. Trying to say a Mac plays games is like saying a kia is fit for the indy 500.

Sure you could show up in a $10k kia at the indy, and people will laugh, just like trying to play gamer's games on a Mac. I'll admit a MAC is nice for "screwing off" off on, and doing pretty little media stuff.. but serious gaming it is not.

..looking at that list again.. I mean comeon... no HL 2, F.E.A.R, Prey, oo UT ...2004!! is on there... laugh.

Sep 22, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #19 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
Enjoy your overclocked MS Windows powered PC!
tongue.gif

1. http://www.apple.com/games/
2 & 3.. I bet it will run circles round a Dual 3GHz Intel Xeon Mac Pro, with NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500. Yes, sure!
4. That you do not have any virus and spyware problems, certainly do not mean that MS Windows is safe against these kind of problems. To your information there are zero (0) known viruses for OS X!

I'm pretty sure Computerpro's rig will in fact run circles around a computer you mentioned. There is a certain amount of specialized knowledge involved in this, which he likely has and which (I can only speculate) I am not sure if you have.

Conroe is a pretty big leap from Intel's previous stuff, and IIRC the Quadro FX 4500 is more of a workstation/production/etc. card than a gaming card.

Also, I'd think that the lack of viruses for OS X has more to do with no one bothering to target that OS, as opposed to the OS being inherently virusproof, although I will acknowledge that it may be somewhat stronger in that regard.

Sep 23, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #20 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
Enjoy your overclocked MS Windows powered PC!
tongue.gif

1. http://www.apple.com/games/

Lol

Quote:

2 & 3.. I bet it will run circles round a Dual 3GHz Intel Xeon Mac Pro, with NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500. Yes, sure!

More like run octagons, triangles, and circles around it, while calculating pi. Here's the work machine that I just ordered.

Case: SilverStone TJ07 B
Motherboard: SuperMicro X7DA8-O
Graphics: EVGA 7900gt (no point for a gaming card at work)
PSU: Pc Power and Cooling 1 Kilowatt
CPU: 2x Intel Xeon 5160 Woodcrest 3.0ghz Dual Core
Memory: 4x Crucial 1GB DDR2 (can be expanded to 32GB but I don't have the cash)
Storage: 3x Seagate Cheetah 15k.4 147GB Raid 5, 4x Seagate 750GB Raid 5

And here's the gaming

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo x6800 @ 3.7ghz on air (but my Chilly1 Phase Change unit is in the mail, this will allow around 4.5ghz at -60C chip temp)
Motherboard: Asus p5w-DH Deluxe
Graphics: 2x EVGA 7950GX2
PSU: Pc Power and Cooling 1 Kilowatt
Memory: 4GB Corsair Pc8500 Low Latency running wayyy over spec
Storage: 2x Raptor 10,000RPM 150GB Raid 0, 3x Seagate 750GB Raid 5

Sep 23, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #21 of 60
Dudes, seriously, CHILL!

I will repeat one more time... [size=xx-large]CHILL![/size]

We shouldn't be getting into fights about Macs and Windows machines here. Go to macrumours or hardforum or something. If you want to fight, go debate Grado vs Senn or iPod vs iRiver...

Both have their strengths, both have their weaknesses. Deal with it, accept it.

Nabwong... you'll get used to the OS. It doesn't take long... I know it may seem bad, but learn the new keyboard shortcuts - and the fact that you can program in your own shortcuts in System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse - and you'll be set in no time!

Also... this post will help you acclimatize. http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...7&postcount=25

Sep 23, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #22 of 60
I've never had any problems with my Windows machines, honestly. I never get viruses, and I've had perhaps 3 BSODs during the entire time I've ever been using Windows 2000. I never get spyware and I've had uptimes that have lasted for months. It never crashes unless I really do something stupid to make it crash.

Honestly, I could keep using Win2k forever.

Sep 23, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #23 of 60
ComputerPro your machines are sick. im specifically impressed by the powersupply, most (including myself) settle for a PCP&C 510.

roastpuff there are no discussions in real computer forums, this topic is understood. this members lounge for general discusion which is what is going on, its the MAC users that always start this and as soon as MACs weaknesses are discussed they get offended, start chasing their tails, and then it gets locked down.

nobody cares anymore how cool OS-X seems, its viturally useless to alot of PC owners and completely useless to PC builders.

Sep 23, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #24 of 60
Hey, look on the bright side:

You won't have to spend nearly as much time in BestBuy looking at available software, you should be able to thoroughly look over the mac software aisle in about 5 seconds!
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #26 of 60
Quote:

It's there, it can handle the code, just more people have to bother, that's really all there is to it

I'll admit I suck at analogys but I try. :p

Who cares if a mac COULD run all the best games IF the code was there. Simple fact is, it can't right now, so for people who enjoy using their computer for games, a PC is still the best route.

Sep 23, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #27 of 60
if the justification for OS-X is really better security then just run windows under the guest account. those parameters are so locked down it wont even let you install basic programs let alone allow any system-level changes, yet the interface and customization is still more liberal than OS-X, plus you still have full access to the BIOS at startup. then use the Administrator account or Safe Mode to make system changes.

does anyone else find it ironic that the MAC community is rejoicing over the ability to run windows? Microsoft should make a commercial Apple-style and "PC" should just lift "MAC" and body slam him... and "MAC" should make girlish scream on the way down

Sep 23, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #28 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid
ComputerPro your machines are sick. im specifically impressed by the powersupply, most (including myself) settle for a PCP&C 510.

I dunno, they are great PSUs, but from a practical standpoint I'm not sure what the benefit of a PCP&C 510 is over say an OCZ GameXStream 600W, which is cheaper, quieter, puts out as much power, and in all likelihood is going to perform the same. PCP&Cs are a bit past the decreasing returns point, unless it's REALLY critical your computer NEVER goes down...

Sep 23, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #29 of 60
I'll take this weekend to chill and then start my "rehab" on monday. Thanks for the people who gave me suggestions on using Mac-OS. I've been a PC person all my life from pre-harddisk and ms-dos era. The change is hitting me hard. The good news is that i still have my IBM laptop. I think i'll try to go cold turkey at work and try to "adapt". I need a TMX elmo to cheer me up.

Sep 23, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #30 of 60
Oh c'mon. This thread is nothing but flame bait.

I just bought another PC. A tablet PC.

Yes, it has this thing called a digitizer behind the LCD where I can draw directly on the screen.

There will eventually be a Tablet Mac. But only after a couple years when Tablet PC's are standard. Then a whole "new" Tablet Mac will arrive, touting innovations that no one has done before!
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back