To use with FiiO amp: Etymotic ER-6 or ER-6i?
Oct 21, 2008 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mudo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I would like to get a clean and detailed portable sound from my Sansa Fuze. I am tempted by Etymotic ER-6 or ER-6i, but I'm afraid about bass strength and sibilance so, here are my questions:

- Would a FiiO amplifier solve the bass problems on *both* problems?
- What should I get? ER-6 or ER-6i? First has more impendance (hiss reduced?), but second has better bass.
- I read ER-6/ER-6i has some sibilance. What would FiiO do to the treble?

Thanks in advance

Oct 21, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all. I would like to get a clean and detailed portable sound from my Sansa Fuze. I am tempted by Etymotic ER-6 or ER-6i, but I'm afraid about bass strength and sibilance so, here are my questions:

- Would a FiiO amplifier solve the bass problems on *both* problems?
- What should I get? ER-6 or ER-6i? First has more impendance (hiss reduced?), but second has better bass.
- I read ER-6/ER-6i has some sibilance. What would FiiO do to the treble?

Thanks in advance

There are no 'bass problems' on either. The FiiO just adds a little bass and makes it easier to drive some headphones. If you want a little extra bass, get the ER6 and use with a FiiO (that would be my first choice, as I love my ER4S or modded iM716 @ 75 Ohm with the FiiO); or you could get the ER6i and skip the FiiO; or, if you want even more bass, use ER6i with the FiiO, but then you might get problems with hiss as they are pretty low-impedance. If you're worries about not liking neutral sound and think that more bass is better, stay away from etymotic.

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 6
ER 6i, try it, decide if you are ok with the amount of bass or not, if not get fiio. The ER 6 + fiio would probably be comparable to the 6i or maybe a little more. Both are very neutral sounding and not bassy. The 6i's triflange tip often fits peoples' ears better, and I believe its tips are interchangeable with ER 4 and HF phones.

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 6
Uhm... it seems a matter of tastes (as often I guess). My main problem is that I don't have experience with portable audio and I can't try them before I buy. That's why I don't know where is the balance I'm searching for.

First thing I want to get is a good detail with voices and guitars, and as I read etymotic + FiiO is a good choice in this price tag, but maybe I'm wrong.

I already bought the PL-30 from SoundMagic, hope they will be my warn unit and so I can learn about my preferences.

To help me decide between ER-6 and ER-6i (both with FiiO), I just can say that EP-630 sounded too bassy for me. How will ER-6 + FiiO compared with EP-630 bass? and ER-6i + FiiO? I prefer to have less bass than EP-630, but not *much* less.

Thanks to all.

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 6
Wait for the FiiO E5. It is said to have worked on the bass clarity and soundstage which are not so good on the E3. I'm sure you want to keep the ETY clarity and the ETY already aren't the best for soundstage.

I agree with those issues. I had the E3 and would not use with my SF5's for those reasons. It hurt their large soundstage and the clarity down low.

Plus the bass boost is on/off controlled with the E5 in case you don't need it and the volume control makes it more flexible. The only downside is that you can't just pop in another battery.

I would go with ER6 and FiiO E5. Also many people recommend the d-Jays as a slightly better alternative to the 6/6i. The CK7 is good to look into as well for that sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back