To upgrade my Headphones or Amp/Add DAC?
Jun 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #17 of 29

Looks like an optical but the description and picture both say it's a USB? So just a standard optical to optical from the DAC to my TV or do I need something USB?

Picture is of a USB (only) input Schiit Modi DAC.

A standard Toslink to Toslink optical cable should do the job, with an optical input Modi DAC, no need for anything USB.
(There is the mini-Toslink connector, looks like a 3.5mm jack, which something you have no need for)

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #19 of 29
I can only find reviews for the USB version,I found the Optical version but no reviews. Should be the exact same thing,just a different connector right?

They are the same, just one is USB interface input and the other is optical interface input.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #22 of 29
Started with the M50s,paid full retail at $180 after tax. Traded those for the HD518 (Definitley downgraded there in sound quality but it was worth it) Purchaed the ATH-Pro700 MK2 for $180 (Don't use them cause I don't like em) and just Purchaed the HD558 for $80 (Best value IMO but still not quite there)
Guess I shouldn't really expect to be impressed by any of these though right?

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #23 of 29
You might have to go even more expensive to find what you're looking for, or it could just be that you haven't found the house sound that you're looking for.  Bottom line is that you're looking for big chunks of change.  Finding the right sound for you is the hardest part of this hobby, it's why many people have lots of buys and sells on this site in the classifieds section.   While you said you hardly noticed a difference with a new amp, a new dac will give you even less of a change.

Once you found a headphone you KNOW that suits you, then you can start buying amps and dacs to go with it.

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #25 of 29
I'd say 2 years, and about 5 different headphones.  Ultimately jumped onto the Hifiman house sound after trying Audio Technicas, Sennheisers, Beyerdynamics, Denons.  

Of course since I've had my first Hifiman I've tried a couple high-end headphones too, but ultimately I just decided to get a more expensive Hifiman, which suited me just fine.

It can be a long process.

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #26 of 29
We'll the 558's are getting more and more pleasant to listen to. Perhaps I won't have to aim quite as high as I thought before.. I think a good mid-tier headphone will probably suit me just fine.

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #27 of 29
Where do you live? Maybe your best bet is to see if there is a Head-Fi GTG in your area. Go and listen to lots of headphones and equipment :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back