TO TWEAK OR NOT TO TWEAK THE STAX 007A? THAT IS THE QUESTION
Aug 5, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #106 of 128
My Omegas MK1 arrived yesterday and I have spent a day to make them fit like they are supposed to.Before the headband bending my head started to hurt after 30 min.When I stripped down the pads I have noticed that they were put in exactly like the pads on the Mk2!This is a 2007 model with a new cable and earpads.
The spring is longer like on the early Mk1 but bent to form a smaller circle so I didn't need to put additional wire on it.

Is this the right way to put the spring?The black fabric became loose now and the ears don't touch it like before.

The image from top to bottom:
Earpad
Black fabric
Spring
Short flange
Black Plate
Long flange
Aluminium case (not on the image)

Paint masterwork :)

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #109 of 128
While all this knowledge is fascinating and appreciated, it is making me feel bad. In an effort to support Stax and its retail presence in North America, I have spent more money than is prudent for me to buy a top Stax headphone/amp combo. It arrives tomorrow.

I know full well that the O2 Mk1 is better thought of, and almost certainly sounds better. The SRM-007tII has few friends here. I have passed on a used Mk1 and other amps since I ordered the new pieces to keep my deal with the dealer.

Do I have anything to look forward to besides disappointment? I am hoping the Mk2 can be modded to Mk1 specs, but given these discussions it seems unlikely. I will have a killer amp sooner or later, but I wanted to buy the best headphones in the world, at least the best for a longtime Stax fan. Now it seems I will have the second best.

Clark

Sep 18, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #110 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkmc2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While all this knowledge is fascinating and appreciated, it is making me feel bad. In an effort to support Stax and its retail presence in North America, I have spent more money than is prudent for me to buy a top Stax headphone/amp combo. It arrives tomorrow.

I know full well that the O2 Mk1 is better thought of, and almost certainly sounds better. The SRM-007tII has few friends here. I have passed on a used Mk1 and other amps since I ordered the new pieces to keep my deal with the dealer.

Do I have anything to look forward to besides disappointment? I am hoping the Mk2 can be modded to Mk1 specs, but given these discussions it seems unlikely. I will have a killer amp sooner or later, but I wanted to buy the best headphones in the world, at least the best for a longtime Stax fan. Now it seems I will have the second best.

Clark

You can't have buyer's remorse until you actually get the items.

Actually you will do fine with them. I spent quite a while listening to my 007A aka 007Mk2, without modifying them, albeit with the pads reversed compared to most users, and was quite happy with them. However I think these phones can be made a bit better. I think it's nice to know about all the mods that people have reported on in case you want to experiment. I spent some time at the last Canjam comparing the Mk and my Mk2 and couldn't hear any advantage of one over the other. Minor sonic differences, sometimes favoring one, sometimes the other. As well there is a large body of opinion that the Mk2 are just fine as they are.

Do give us an account of your initial impressions.

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #111 of 128
Congratulations with your purchase Clark.I really doubt that you will be disappointed with the Mk2.
I suggest that you listen to them unmodified for a while so you get accustomed to the sound and then mod them later if you want, like Ed did.But the arc bending is a must for comfort.

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #112 of 128
Thank you, gentleman, for your replies. It was just that after reading many of the opinions here it seemed they were painted as a very poor second. I admit that at this level minor differences could enhance the experience (or detract from it), but it is so good to hear that it is not a make or break proposition. I suspect that even Spritzer might admit that the Mk2 is a really nice example of Staxen. And since I have been striving for several decades for neutral, uncolored sound reproduction, I can feel his pain.

I do always give a very extended listen - months at least - to gain a baseline before attempting modifications. As for the amp, the Stax amp is probably almost perfect for combo Jazz, most of my listening. But I am already preparing to pursue alternatives, just for comparison. It will be something new, not what we can already buy. More on that when it happens.

I have a trace of tinnitus and no longer listen to classic rock - unless Concrete Blonde, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Santana or or Peter Green era Mac count - so very high volume is not in my program. That gives me a wider choice of amplification than most Omega listeners.

Clark

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #113 of 128
The Mk2 is a very good headphone but not slayer of all like the Mk1. Simple as that...
smile.gif

Btw. I need to reply to your email...
redface.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #115 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Mk2 is a very good headphone but not slayer of all like the Mk1. Simple as that...
smile.gif

Just in order to add to the dischord suffered by all on head-fi who have not yet found their "one headphone". (And to put a bit of the wind up my Icelandic friend)
wink.gif

I too, used to be an O2 supremeus, like Spritzer. Then one day I heard the Bass Heavy R10. That was about a week ago. It was.... very nice.

However, an R10 costs an O2 plus a BHSE. And so while my path was badly shaken for a brief while, it remained facing the same direction.

I'm wondering if, were you to step back a little from your consistancy in vocabulary for a second dear chap.

Are the O2 Mk.1 and O2 Mk.2 more similar to each other than either of them is to any other headphone you've heard? And does each on listening, give most of the sound of the other? Are they as far apart as the HD600 and HD650 or are they closer or further away? I appriciate that you like the HD600 more than the HD650 and the Mk.1 more than the Mk.2, but were the Mk.1 to have never touched your ears, do you think that the Mk.2 would be the endgame headphone you have in the Mk.1, or would you be posting on it lacking something somewhere?

Apologies for the unexpected Spanish Inquisition.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #117 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by wink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the Senn Orpheus and be done with it.

confused_face_2.gif

How is that related to tweaking the Stax SR-007A? Different 'phones, different sound and in may peoples opinion not a step above the Stax'.

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #118 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just in order to add to the dischord suffered by all on head-fi who have not yet found their "one headphone". (And to put a bit of the wind up my Icelandic friend)
wink.gif

I too, used to be an O2 supremeus, like Spritzer. Then one day I heard the Bass Heavy R10. That was about a week ago. It was.... very nice.

However, an R10 costs an O2 plus a BHSE. And so while my path was badly shaken for a brief while, it remained facing the same direction.

Just saw this now...
redface.gif
The R10 is indeed brilliant but the cost is excessive to say the least. I also some major concerns about their reliability and with no parts to be had from Sony I wouldn't want to own one.
frown.gif
For 7000$ I'd just get a stacked set of ESL57's and amps to match.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if, were you to step back a little from your consistancy in vocabulary for a second dear chap.

Are the O2 Mk.1 and O2 Mk.2 more similar to each other than either of them is to any other headphone you've heard? And does each on listening, give most of the sound of the other? Are they as far apart as the HD600 and HD650 or are they closer or further away? I appriciate that you like the HD600 more than the HD650 and the Mk.1 more than the Mk.2, but were the Mk.1 to have never touched your ears, do you think that the Mk.2 would be the endgame headphone you have in the Mk.1, or would you be posting on it lacking something somewhere?

Apologies for the unexpected Spanish Inquisition.

tongue.gif
The difference is much smaller then the 600 vs.650 on the whole but also more annoying at the same time. The Mk1's true sign of greatness is it's ability to get out of the way and present what they are fed without altering it. You could say they lack soul etc. but being so damn unimpressive is their single most impressive part. Now enter the Mk2 and this isn't the case. They do sound rather similar to the Mk1 on first listen, perhaps a bit more forward and the bass sounds a bit bloated but the family resemblance is there. The same imaging and sounds emitting from nothing all rings true. To expand to the rest of the Omega family then the same character can be found in the SR-Omega which to me is a slightly less refined version of the Mk1. The bass is loose, the treble has some issues and the headstage is less then absolutely precise but they are still truly great headphones.

Now back to the Mk2, they do sound like a Mk1 except that they can't disappear. The bass is always thick (similar to the "twack" sound omnipresent in the HE90) never mind what they are fed and the midrange has a texture to it which is a clear coloration. While this isn't as bad as what Stax did to the SR-303/404 (which the SR-202, 404LE and SR-SC1 do not suffer from) to me this is unacceptable since they've thrown out what truly makes these transducers great. The reason, fix issues which are easy to live with.
frown.gif
They did fix some of the other issues the Mk1 had (cable issues and weak elastic in the headpad) which is why I'm going to make a modded Mk2 set my goto set headphones.

The other question is a bit tougher to answer. The SR-007 was my first real highend headphone (the HD600 doesn't really count) so they will factor into all comparisons. I do think though that when you've had this "bug" for long enough then you know what sound you are looking for and for me that is neutrality and a relaxed presentation. Adding extra textures to the sound is something which I can't tolerate. So gut feeling says I'd have some issues with the Mk2 even if the Mk1 didn't exist since there are other headphones which are more linear to my ears, SR-Lambda, ESP950 or some oldies like the SR-3 (non NEW version).

Quote:

Originally Posted by wink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the Senn Orpheus and be done with it.

I assume you've heard all these headphones before making that statement? I have owned all of these headphones and I even prefer the HE60 to the HE90.

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #119 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif
The difference is much smaller then the 600 vs.650 on the whole but also more annoying at the same time. The Mk1's true sign of greatness is it's ability to get out of the way and present what they are fed without altering it. You could say they lack soul etc. but being so damn unimpressive is their single most impressive part.

Quote:

I do think though that when you've had this "bug" for long enough then you know what sound you are looking for and for me that is neutrality and a relaxed presentation.

So despite our huge difference in knowledge and headphone systems heard, all to your favor of course, we do have something in common. You and I want the same thing out of a headphone. From reading a lot here, it seems that most who prefer dynamic phones over these top Stax are looking for bass slam. After fifty years with electronics, speakers and headphones, I do not seek it in a stereo. Bass slam is seductive in one sense but not realistic re: the live experience. At least not with anything I ever listen to anymore. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Quote:

Now back to the Mk2, they do sound like a Mk1 except that they can't disappear. The bass is always thick (similar to the "twack" sound omnipresent in the HE90) never mind what they are fed and the midrange has a texture to it which is a clear coloration

Even after only one day with the Mk2 I have to agree that the bass thickness seems unlikely to disappear with break in. It is so pronounced on some recordings that I can't tell, without having heard a Mk1 for comparison, the exact nature of the midrange. Who knows, I might end up liking the mids & highs. I am old and we hearing loss types gravitate to slightly bright, forward reproduction. Unfortunately, the stock Mk2 treble sound either recessed, or buried by the excess bass signature. Hard to tell at this stage.

Strangely, and I need to experiment more here, using my old (round) extension cable seems to help. Capacitance loading? No explanation. (The cable goes from five pin male to six pin female, so they work with pro phones.)

Quote:

They did fix some of the other issues the Mk1 had (cable issues and weak elastic in the headpad) which is why I'm going to make a modded Mk2 set my goto set headphones.

Wow, if your mods succeed I won't need to go shopping for a Mk 1.
o2smile.gif
Put me on the me too bandwagon.

Quote:

...there are other headphones which are more linear to my ears, SR-Lambda, ESP950 or some oldies like the SR-3 (non NEW version).

I recently acquired a pristine (except needing earpads - thanks again, Spritzer) SR-X Mk3/SRD-7 combo. I bought a set for a friend and it rendered my SR-5s unlistenable, so I scored myself a pair too. Having experienced them at length, I was hoping the SR-007 Mk2 would be like them but with more realistic bass volume levels. Unfortunately, no.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #120 of 128
Quote:

Even after only one day with the Mk2 I have to agree that the bass thickness seems unlikely to disappear with break in. It is so pronounced on some recordings that I can't tell, without having heard a Mk1 for comparison, the exact nature of the midrange. Who knows, I might end up liking the mids & highs. I am old and we hearing loss types gravitate to slightly bright, forward reproduction. Unfortunately, the stock Mk2 treble sound either recessed, or buried by the excess bass signature. Hard to tell at this stage.

Strangely, and I need to experiment more here, using my old (round) extension cable seems to help. Capacitance loading? No explanation. (The cable goes from five pin male to six pin female, so they work with pro phones.)[/QUOTE]

Both SR-007's have no treble emphasis to speak of so that plus the natural decline of HF perception as we age could be the cause here.

Quote:

I recently acquired a pristine (except needing earpads - thanks again, Spritzer) SR-X Mk3/SRD-7 combo. I bought a set for a friend and it rendered my SR-5s unlistenable, so I scored myself a pair too. Having experienced them at length, I was hoping the SR-007 Mk2 would be like them but with more realistic bass volume levels. Unfortunately, no.

It's current day replacement would be the 4070. Same brutally revealing nature and more bass but Stax have always limited the amount of bass in its monitor phones, presumably so that and engineer can hear deeper into the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back