to those who have a Sharp MD-DR7
Mar 20, 2003 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dougbrad81

100+ Head-Fier
hi,
those who uses their Sharp MD-DR7 with an amp, can you comment on the quality of the line-out? is it a menu switchable like the n1/n10? also do you think the line-out is more clearer and detailed compared to a sony n1? thanks for any info.

Mar 21, 2003 at 10:00 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

is it a menu switchable like the n1/n10?

nope.
Quote:

also do you think the line-out is more clearer and detailed compared to a sony n1?

by a mile. i have both units.
Quote:

thanks for any info.

you're welcome.

just drop everything and get it. you wont regret it. i'm still waiting to hear from anyone (newbie or audiophile) who purchased it and complain about it's sound
very_evil_smiley.gif
. oh, and sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2003 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 14
No, it is neither menu-switchable nor a separate line-out. As I understand it, Sharp units with this type of line-out require you to set the volume at maximum (30), and then the unit will sense the load placed upon it and automatically switch to line-out. I have the DR7 and this does seem to work, although I use the Doctor sans amp. The Eggos, Etys, and E888s that I use with it sound great straight out of the headphone jack....no amp needed.
Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 14
To my ears, the MZ-R50 dedicated line-out to a portable amp provides better sound than the DR-7 alone, and also allows for a greater variety of headphones to be used. In general, I believe dedicated line-outs perform better than the other kinds. If you plan on using an amp, I would save the money and get an R50.....I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just my opinion, of course.
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 14
joelongwood,
i have a r-50. the line out on it is amazing. but i can't use it for portable use, because i lost the battery pack, and the only way i can use it is with the adaptor.
Tina,
thanks for the info. do you prefer to use the dr-7 with a headamp, or straight out of the headphone jack?
evil zen,
i see you live in singapore. i'll be going to there in a few weeks. do you know if the r-50 is still available there? i would like to purchase another r-50, but i really don't want to do it through e-bay.

Mar 21, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by dougbrad81
joelongwood,
i have a r-50. the line out on it is amazing. but i can't use it for portable use, because i lost the battery pack, and the only way i can use it is with the adaptor.

http://www.partsolver.com/SearchResu...erID=76&Page=3

Try that link, scroll down till you see: case, battery.

I think that's what you need.

Mar 21, 2003 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 14
Another vote here for the R50's line out. Coupled with a nice portable amp like a Supermini or a CHA47, it is approaching a rig that is awfully hard to beat if you're able to play ATRAC type R recordings from a deck and have a nice pair of headphones like Ety4P/S's to bring your music to glorious, melodious life!

Mar 21, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 14
nah I already have the r50s. 2 in fact.

dougbrad81, I don't think new ones can be found on sale. but you might want to check out cash converters, a shop selling 2nd hand stuff. I got one of mine there. Doubt you will manage to find them though. Even if there aren't any, there will surely be some old pdcp that might interest you.

Mar 22, 2003 at 7:57 AM Post #13 of 14
thanks for the links to the battery related sites. much appreciated.
by the way anyone knows of a remote whose light will function with the r50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back