To think about.
Oct 5, 2002 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Outdoor Man

1000+ Head-Fier
The number of pricies that are threatened is growing so fast.
That they are already talking of a plague.

Peter
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2002 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 52
Could it be:

"The number of species that are threatened is growing so fast."

Oct 6, 2002 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Could it be:

"The number of species that are threatened is growing so fast."

It was the plague part that is confusing me.
tongue.gif

Biggie.

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #13 of 52
Oke, now that you don't understand it.

The number of animals and plants in the world that are treatened to disapeer forever is growing that fast

That the list of animals en plants that wil disappear is that larg that it looks like it is a plage.

This is a ironical statement.

Peter.
(Who hates those screw*** tourists who come to Amsterdam only for drugs. The Netherlands is more than Amsterdam en drugs).

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #14 of 52
Yes, actually that is what I thought you had said in your original post. I'm all for preserving species, but not at all costs. For instance, here in Oregon, the salmon are favored over humans. Millions of tax dollars are spent to coddle them, so that no harm will come to them. Why not spend these millions to help people who are in a bad way, or to improve the school system, instead giving it to some stupid fish? This past summer there was a huge showdown between farmers and environmentalists, with the government in the middle. Over what? Whether or not the farmers would get the limited supply of water, or the fish. Hmmm, tough decision. Do we give water to people who need it to feed their families and thousands of others, or do we give it to some fish who are here today and gone tomorrow? I can't believe the millions of dollars that were spent on that little battle alone. It's a matter of balance. Do what we can to preserve species, which will of course cost money and inconvenience some people. But it's important to keep things in perspective. A human life is simply worth more than a fish's life. Utlimately both lives are at the mercy of the ways of nature, and death is a
normal part of nature.

Just my humble opinion.

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:57 AM Post #15 of 52
Outdoor Man

The world is in a lot of trouble. Man is indeed destroying the planet and it's inhabitants at an escalating rate.

In Canada, until very recently, we had possibly the largest supply of fish in the world. Now many of our fresh water lakes are dead, and entire species such as Cod and Salmon have been over-fished to the point of near extinction.

The really sad part about it, is that instead of people freaking out and doing something about this downward spiral, the focus always seems to be on the loss of jobs in the fishing industry. I don't think I've read a single newspaper article which discusses the fact that a once plentiful food supply is rapidly disappearing...and that this will continue to happen exponentially as other fish species are over-fished, also eventually to extinction, to fill the void.

Unfortunately, there are always going to be people and governments which don't give a damn about anything but economics and who won't lose a minute's sleep if they destroy an animals natural habitat or hunt them into extinction, as long as they get what they want.

Actually, I've given this whole matter much thought over the years and it depresses me greatly. I can't say I've personally done much to help the situation, unless you call throwing money at Greenpeace helping. I honestly don't see any solution on the horizon either. Sure, every bit helps, but there's always going to be a frightenly large contingent of people who don't give a damn...enough of them I'm afraid, to continue the destruction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back