To Stick with Magni 3 or not
Oct 16, 2020 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

nicknack40

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all just after some Advice i was looking to upgrade my Magni 3 and spoke to spoke to mark at Schiit uk. And he said its not really worth upgrading from the 3 to the 3 plus as there is not much of a big step up to warrant the change for the money. So i was looking at the Asgard 3 my Cans are the Audeze LCD-2C's anybody have this setup. Thanks

Oct 16, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 3
I've owned the Magni 3 and now have both the Heresy and Magni 3+. It's not much if any of a sonic upgrade, but the design work especially on the Heresy is top notch.

You want to avoid tube amps for planars for a couple of reasons. Typically tube amps have high distortion which will easily couple into a very revealing headphone like most planars. Also, tube amps add bloom to the bass of dynamic headphones, but in the case of planars you really aren't getting any benefit from a tube amp in this regard. I own the HE-400i and MrSpeakers Aeon Flow open and both work wonderfully with the Magni 3 and especially the Heresy. The Asgard 3 is not an ideal amp as it has more distortion and noise than even the Heresy.

You can get better measurements and possibly sonics for less going with something like the Topping L30 amp and E30 DAC for example. Lower noise, plenty of power for any headphone within reason, and stacks nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back