To Replace my CALs
Jul 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

seag33k

100+ Head-Fier
I bought the CALs back in Feb and am noticing a buzzing in the left channel.  The buzzing is most noticeable around 30hz.  Unfortunately I don't have my receipt so I can't return them for repair :frowning2:  I am hoping to find something to replace them.  What do people recommend for under $100? I am looking for something that is:

1. comfortable
  2. over the ear
  3. semi-portable (traveling)
  4. offers good bass with impact similar to my COPs
  5. decent highs/mids but not harsh

Thanks for the recommendations!

Seag33k

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
I bought the CALs back in Feb and am noticing a buzzing in the left channel.  The buzzing is most noticeable around 30hz.  Unfortunately I don't have my receipt so I can't return them for repair :frowning2:  I am hoping to find something to replace them.  What do people recommend for under $100? I am looking for something that is:

1. comfortable
  2. over the ear
  3. semi-portable (traveling)
  4. offers good bass with impact similar to my COPs
  5. decent highs/mids but not harsh

Thanks for the recommendations!

Seag33k

COP or CAL?  You mentioned both in your post.

Have you considered recabling them rather than buying new?

For replacement options, another CAL jumps readily to my mind as a worthy replacement. 

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 11
I own the COPs too which I really like but aren't as portable.  The CALs are the ones with the problem.  Given I've had an issue with these so soon and my warranty is pretty much worthless without a receipt, I would rather try something else since I believe this is a defect and not something I did to cause the problem.  

Thank You!

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 11
Sounds like it could be a loose solder joint, which would be pretty easy to fix if you wanted.

Otherwise, sub-$100 there aren't a whole lot of options, especially bassy ones.

The T50RP from Fostex might be a good option, but you may need to mod it a bit to get the sound you want.

The V-Moda Crossfade LP might be good as well.  Slightly over your budget, but it does include a case.  V-Moda has a reputation for being bassy.

I have no experience with either headphone, though.  My "portable" cans are my Beyerdynamic DT770s, which are bigger than the COP.

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the input.  Now that I can't sent them back for warranty work, I'll look into inspecting them closer to see if there is a loose solder.  I've never tried on the DT770's so I can' really compare them for size.  They are just a big large to carry in my messenger bag.  I look at the Vmoda.

Seag33k

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 11
Are you referring to the JVC? I've read some comments that they aren't very comfortable.  I have a pair of Klipsch Image Ones that are on ear and hurt my ears after about 30 mins.

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Are you referring to the JVC? I've read some comments that they aren't very comfortable.  I have a pair of Klipsch Image Ones that are on ear and hurt my ears after about 30 mins.

My JVC HA-S500-Z (Gunmetal Gray) headphones seem comfortable to me.
You can get different ear pads (Velour or Leather) for them, for around $15, on eBay.

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 11
Apparently, if you have a warrantee on any item and you can prove you bought it (credit card statement) they have to honour the warrantee.
Not sure if that'll help you but it's worth a shot!

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 11
I will dig around more, but its not looking good.  I took the left speaker apart to verify it wasn't a loose solder job or something rattling in the body of the headphone.  There is something wrong with the left speaker.  Using a freq test I found on youtube it points to the 30 hz range.  I tried it from another device just incase there was something wrong with the source.  Anyone know of a company that will mod these headphones?

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back