Jan 19, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #16 of 70
I wish I hadn't asked, now I'm confused but nm
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #17 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by DRuM
I wish I hadn't asked, now I'm confused but nm
biggrin.gif

The K-340's are pretty hard to drive..... 400 ohm impedance..... so volume control has to go higher to pump enough juice into them.

Mikie.

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #19 of 70
Ok, cool. Btw mike, I made a mistake about the phillips headphones. I hadn't tried the 890's as I thought, I'd tried another phillips model, which was just silver and black, but good build quality, though not comfy enough for me.
I just went into currys because I remember a phillips pair they have with the same blue headband as the 890's, but they were 840's and not the 890's as I thought they might be.

Jan 19, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #20 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by Filipe
how much does the chiarra come to in that aluminium fascia?
Could you build in it two separate boxes, one PSU of for the Amp, X Can v3 sized boxes?

Cheers
Fil

Hi Fil,

The boards are a lot larger than an x-can and wouldn't fit inside a small enclosure like that. I have mine in 2 seperate cases, they are the cases that come with the kit and are very bog standard and require painting, I'm not too bothered about their appearance though..... as long as they sound good :)

You can see what they look like, after being spray painted:

chia1.jpg

chia3.jpg

chia4.jpg

I'm not going to be building anymore of the "exotic" amps as they involve getting parts from Italy / Germany and are too time consuming.

Mike.

You can see from this image why the boards would not fit inside an X-Can sized enclosure!!

underbonnet.jpg

Jan 19, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #22 of 70
Jan 19, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #23 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by Filipe
So, is it you who have been building it for people?

I not going to be building any more Filipe, send RichardH a PM he may build one for you in a fancy case too
biggrin.gif
No idea what it would cost for him to build you one...... the total kit is about £208 before assembly.

His profile: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/membe...threadid=53606

Jan 19, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #24 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by Fastjack
I don't know how many PinkFloyd has built but in general it's a complete kit including all the parts that you have to build yourself. You can order it here:
http://www.williamshart.com/
This is the sub-page with the Chiarra:
http://www.williamshart.com/phono.htm

These pages are very sparse with dertails though. More info is on PinkFloyds page:
http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/xcanpropage.htm

Hope that helps.

Cheers Fastjack,

Any developments with yours? Have you e-mailed Shaun? I e-mailed him suggesting he take a look at yours for free but have heard nothing back. I hope he didn't think I was being presumptious
frown.gif

Mike.

Jan 19, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #25 of 70
Quote:

Ok, cool. Btw mike, I made a mistake about the phillips headphones. I hadn't tried the 890's as I thought, I'd tried another phillips model, which was just silver and black, but good build quality, though not comfy enough for me.
I just went into currys because I remember a phillips pair they have with the same blue headband as the 890's, but they were 840's and not the 890's as I thought they might be.

890's are a totally different kettle of fish compared to the 840's..... much much better. I know Nigel tried a pair of 890's but returned them because they were way too bassy for him
eek.gif

I gave mine the benefit of the doubt and after about 3 months burn in they came together very nicely :) At £49 they're a great buy :)

I'm back on the AKG K-340's at the moment, the electrostatic midrange is positively addictive. These are really a touch of class and an absolute "must" for midrange junkies....... it's like having a pair of quad electrostatics taped to your head......... yum.

Jan 19, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #26 of 70
Ah, in that case, the AKGs you have possibly wouldn't be for me. I feel the 580's have enough midrange for my taste. If I was going to change headphones, I guess it would be for the purpose of having more treble rather than anything else. Still, I'm really enjoying these 580's now ever since I cranked the chiarra up to volumes you wouldn't entertain!
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #27 of 70
I have a pair of pair of AKG271 and would recommend them anyday..
Never tried them with a decent amp tho, so can’t comment the performance w/ a chiarra (I use a HR airhead).

Jan 19, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #28 of 70
Quote:

Ah, in that case, the AKGs you have possibly wouldn't be for me. I feel the 580's have enough midrange for my taste. If I was going to change headphones, I guess it would be for the purpose of having more treble rather than anything else. Still, I'm really enjoying these 580's now ever since I cranked the chiarra up to volumes you wouldn't entertain!
biggrin.gif

The AKG-271 would be right up your street :) The K-340 was introduced in 1979 and run till 1992... it's an old headphone but sheer class.

The 271 has got a lot more welly and I think you'd love the AKG top end compared to the Sennheiser signature.... surely there's somewhere in edgware road or Tottenham court road you can audition a pair?

They are as rare as rocking horse **** on the net (well in the UK anyways) and I'm seeing what they would set me back if I ordered them from the USA or Germany.

Mike.

Jan 19, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #30 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd

Any developments with yours? Have you e-mailed Shaun? I e-mailed him suggesting he take a look at yours for free but have heard nothing back. I hope he didn't think I was being presumptious
frown.gif

I mailed him this afternoon but also didn't receive an answer yet. Presumably he doesn't read mail that often.

Trying to find the source of the problem I've tried a different PSU today. Well, two in fact. Some high quality lab PSUs that hopefully are pretty much free of noise.
The hiss wasn't impressed and stayed right where it was
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back