To other hd228 owners
Jan 11, 2010 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nitrotron

New Head-Fier
I recently bought a pair of senn hd228's. I'm satisfied with it so far, but one thing i noticed about the headphones that it does not have the hd228 tag no where on the phone. I did buy them off a reliable source which was guitar center.

So i am not sure whether this could be a fake or a real one.
50800954.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 9
I recently bought mine and it has the HD-228 label right on the side of the headphones (top part of the phones where the headband meets). I'm sure the white one has it too.......

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 9
I bought mine early on from J&R and the HD 228 tag is not on the headphone.

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #5 of 9
Phew! That assures that i'm not the only one with such hd228's.

But anyone know why the id's are there on the pictures and not on the actual phone itself?

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But anyone know why the id's are there on the pictures and not on the actual phone itself?

Did you mention where you got the photo? Two possibilities: the photo is of a fake, or it is a picture of a prototype? The padding on the headband looks different from mine as well.

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Did you mention where you got the photo? Two possibilities: the photo is of a fake, or it is a picture of a prototype? The padding on the headband looks different from mine as well.

^ Photo is definately a fake, look at the padding, there should be no circular indent where the transition from the black plastic goes around the mesh.

The HD228 label should NOT be on the outer side. Fakes have HD228 printed out on the outer side.
I have had two pairs from Sennheiser Australia, both replacements for HD228 from mymemory.co.uk (Sennheiser UK verified them as authorised resellers) and the 3 pairs all did not have HD228 printed on the side.

However, with the second replacement pair from Sennheiser Australia (first replacement was exactly the same as the ones from Sennheiser UK), I did notice a drop in sound quality... sounds like the newer HD228s have changed factory or something, the bass sounds like its emphasising the bass from a rock-guitar, furthermore, the mids aren't as distinct as the previous pair.

Edit: I have just done the astroid mod, and it seems like there is still a tinge of that strange new-bass as compared to the older pair of HD228s that suffered the cable-death problem. But it does bring it much closer to the SQ of the older pair of HD228s (didn't need to do astroid mod).

In regards to fakes, take off the padding (do it GENTLY!) from the headphones, if there are plastic seals over the screws, it's a good indicator yours are not fakes.
How I know? I tried to search for a replacement pair of HD228s (mymemory.co.uk doesn't offer them anymore :frowning2: ), bought some fake ones on ebay and failed with counterfeit-dispute (for future ref, just do Item not received dispute, less hassle, much higher chance of getting your money back, counterfeit-disputes almost guarantee the seller is going to keep your money)

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 9
nope. that's a prototype picture. there are no hd228's that are fake around the market. got mine from an authorize senn dealer and yes, there's no hd228 mark on the outside, just inside near the band. its engraved. 

OT: where can i buy extra foam pads for these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back