To Mod or Not To Mod - D2000, Beyer 770's and Senn 598
Sep 23, 2017 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Taxihamster

New Head-Fier
So I have a birthday around the corner...and so I just asked for some $$ to put towards some headphone gear. Now I'm a bit torn...I have some delicious D2000's that I love listening with, I have two decent amps (SOHA II and a Mamba D4) so it's not that I need to invest in amp's per se...

I love listening to electronica (Infected Mushroom, VaC, Chemical Brothers, etc) so the bass and punchy sounds are what I go for.

The hard part now is deciding...do I go for a second set of cans like the Beyer 770's for some crazy banging bass for those "bass head" moods...do I go for Senn 598's for some super immersive gaming type sound (Skyrim, Fallout, Doom, etc) or do I mod my D2000's with some new Lawton pads and "tune up kit", maybe toss on a TH900 cable as well since he's got a sale going on.

My budget really only allows for 1 of these pieces of the puzzle. I've never owned open back headphones so I can't lean towards the Senn's with any certainty. But I know the 770's are tooth rattlers from lots of reading and apparently modded D2000's are fantastic sounding (something towards the D5k and D7k depending on the effort).

Anyone with any or all of these puzzle pieces that could chime in on this?

Sep 23, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 13
As someone who understands where you are coming from both gear wise (have the d2000 have owned and appreciate the 840) but also musically I have a bit of advice.

Challenge yourself and chart into unknown territory. :wink:

Get a set of open backs and it will allow you to appreciate the music you already love but also discover more.

A set of HD650s well powered (fine with your gear) are awesome for electronic music. But your D2000 you still may like more.

If you want to splurge and indulge yourself (that's kind of the point!) you may want to consider planar.

An LCD2 (used) will show a whole new realm especially with the low end of the music you like. You'll still enjoy the tuning of your denons but the LCD2 is technically a level ahead and has the low-end that most open backs do not.

Sep 24, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 13
Dang, those are pretty look cans. So are the HD's.

Though I think with something of the level of LCD-2's, I'd want to hear them in person considering the "tier" of sound they are. Considering that I have the amp power I might look into the Senns. Might be worth saving up a bit for a "next level" type since I can mod the D2000's to something higher with less capital.

Thank you for the thoughts, I'll have a look and see...

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 13
Had to chime in :)

Got some cash in your pockets and want to make a move but as long time D2000 user I think that (regarding your taste in music along with gaming) you are just where you want to be. Modifications are going to make Denon's more neutral in other words "less fun".
Cables ..... not a cable believer, if you don't like the sound ditch the sucker and buy something that you actually like, but those cables look so good ... ahhh.

Denon has it flaws but it is one hell of a multimedia headphone. It may be heresay but red a few comments here, from user that have Denon 2000 along with LCD 2 that Denon's bested Audeze for movies and games.... soundstage being the key.

Save up and then pick a store with good return policy and decide for yourself.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for chiming in...

That's interesting to know that it would essentially drown out the "fun" in them. Hmmm...I'd really like a place near me to have a "headphone bar" that I could go A/B live to see how things hear. Maybe I'll wait and see....I don't want to lose the fun in these things, I've recently repaired them and the SOHA II which has made me fall in love with headphones all over again. If I lose this sound I'll probably be really bummed out. I thought the mods would add to it, not neutralize it. :/

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 13
Denon has it flaws but it is one hell of a multimedia headphone. It may be heresay but red a few comments here, from user that have Denon 2000 along with LCD 2 that Denon's bested Audeze for movies and games.... soundstage being the key.

Save up and then pick a store with good return policy and decide for yourself.

Having both, I game far more on my D2000 than my LCD2, same with movies. Partly due to its ergonomics and long cord, but also because of sound character. The D2000 has a great bass balance. I don't think they need modding and are just awesome as is. I've listened to TH900 and those are great but so are the 2000s - same tech.

Sep 25, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 13
I hear ya !
Was reading so many positive comments about Fostex, being an upgrade to Denon and all, so I've had some spare cash and said what the hell, let's here it. I've bought tx00 mahogany and that's where the hype train fell out of it's rails.
Definitely not the upgrade I was hoping/reading here. I was tempted to go to the chu chu train thread that is still going strong and troll a bit, since there are just a few comments that reflect my impressions, just to balance the matter... but then I remembered, I have smarter things to do :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 13
I'm really glad you guys chimed in on this...I was eyeing up the Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts but if it's basically the same thing as what I have, I'll keep my money close. I just need to patch a small issue with my SOHA but I'll just enjoy the Denons for now until I can try out some open backs, see if that suits my fancy.

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 13
@Taxihamster , yeah, been enjoying my D2000s a lot recently. Especially for psy genres. Currently listening to a fantastic psy compilation. Check this out, I think you will dig

Some of the tracks are just so good with the D2000s. Hitting those liquidy low points.

LCD2 is a less bright on the very top end, but yet more detailed. Not as much volume on the low-end, but again more detailed. Both D2000 and LCD2 are very linear in this respect. Noticeable separation between all the sounds and more open sounding. So ultimately, excellent, but the Denon is a bit more visceral, with some sparkle and really enjoyable. I keep coming back to them, especially for music that requires it's low-end depth, but even enjoy them with classical.

For me the D2000 is hard to beat. I wouldn't mind hearing another very bass orientated headphone like the Ultrasone PRO 900, the new Taction Kannon (uses a separate haptic feedback driver for true tactile bass), or even some older Sony MDR-XB1000 just for fun. I have a feeling, that even still the D2000 are probably an almost perfect balance with very good technicalities.

Kind of interested to hear something different myself though.. like perhaps http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/zmf-atticus

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #10 of 13
So I have a birthday around the corner...and so I just asked for some $$ to put towards some headphone gear. Now I'm a bit torn...I have some delicious D2000's that I love listening with, I have two decent amps (SOHA II and a Mamba D4) so it's not that I need to invest in amp's per se...

I love listening to electronica (Infected Mushroom, VaC, Chemical Brothers, etc) so the bass and punchy sounds are what I go for.

The hard part now is deciding...do I go for a second set of cans like the Beyer 770's for some crazy banging bass for those "bass head" moods...do I go for Senn 598's for some super immersive gaming type sound (Skyrim, Fallout, Doom, etc) or do I mod my D2000's with some new Lawton pads and "tune up kit", maybe toss on a TH900 cable as well since he's got a sale going on.

My budget really only allows for 1 of these pieces of the puzzle. I've never owned open back headphones so I can't lean towards the Senn's with any certainty. But I know the 770's are tooth rattlers from lots of reading and apparently modded D2000's are fantastic sounding (something towards the D5k and D7k depending on the effort).

80ohmers work well with infected mushroom. Though i dabble with sz1k and xb1k for thumping bass, the speed/balance of the 80ohmers is great. This can has basically disappeared into black hole with all the new releases. Its not perfect for classical or jazz , but for genres like hip hop/dance/trance etc. its perfect. I listen to lots of synthwave 80s, GOA trance/ psychedelic if that helps. :D I will say the e-MU teak look attractive though :D

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 13
@Malfunkt I'm going to have a listen to this when I get home tonight, it looks interesting...I love finding new more music like the stuff I've been listening to. Especially with cans like these, it makes finding new bands a real treat. Thanks!

Jan 25, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 13

Just a thought..... if I was eying for something better than Denon's 2000 it would probably be the new 7200.

Personal preferences and all... but for my taste the best 'bass heavy' headphones are indeed the Denon 7200 - alongside Sony's Z1R. If the Z1R is out of your budget, the Z7 gives you 95% of the experience for a fraction of the price (especially 2nd hand). All of these have lots of dark and deep bass - without the mid bass bump of the 2000's and TH-X00's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back