to mod..or not to mod....9000es
Apr 21, 2002 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nebuchadnezzar

100+ Head-Fier
I am considering having work done to my 9000es.(Modwright) Can anyone give my an idea of what to expect? Is it worth the trouble/money? What specific mods are the most beneficial? If you've had them done, lemme know! thanks in advance ....oh, by the way this is not in my headphone rig...yet

should this be under tweaks???....i think so
rolleyes.gif

Apr 21, 2002 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 13
The Sony DVP-S900ES has a five year warranty in the US. If you have it modded, you have no warranty. Consider this before modifying.

I'm going to have my 9000ES modded...about 3.5 years from now.

Apr 21, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 13
You can also do a search here and read about my experiences with the modwright 333ES.

He's really keen on the Bybees, but they didn't make a huge impact in my system. I'd go for the clock mod (if he's still offering it) and the standard Level 1 mod. If you use it as a DVD player and send the signal out to your processor, you can get the digital out modded too.

markl

Apr 22, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 13
markl: well, after reading your review:

Wow, wow, wow!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me rephrase-- Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i guess you did notice quite a difference

i'm considering going for the level 3 (what the hell, and be done with it) i'd love to hear from someone who's had their 9000ES modded though

Apr 22, 2002 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Like Jon said, check out www.audioasylum.com and do a search for a thread written by attendies of the West Chester audio society. They compare a modded 9000ES with an unmodded 333 as well as a few others. While in that meeting they didn't directly compare a modded and unmodded 9000, they do seem to believe the mod is worth it.

Apr 22, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 13
His mods on my 333 were of the "night and day" variety, easily discernable to non-audiophiles. It's also worth checking out another thread here I started about an audiophile society that did blind A/B tests of mod-ed and un-moded Sonys. They were easily able to tell the difference.

YOU VOID YOUR WARRANTY so don't come crying to the board if your player goes "phhhhhht!". I had some trouble with mine after initially getting it back from modwright, but he fixed it after I sent it back. That's in my post too, and something to consider....

markl

Apr 22, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 13
thanks ponzio

markl, i read the thread about your 333 and the problems you had. i'm assuming you have full use of your player now? did you get the 'clock mod' you wrote about? thanks for your time

Apr 22, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 13
It's worked perfectly since I got it back. Keep in mind, his mods affect both CD and SACD playback. SACD's on the mod-ed player are chillingly good.

I was persuaded to get the Bybees instead of the clock. From what I've read on audioasylum, the clock mod alone is probably even more effective than the standard mods, so that's A LOT.

markl

Apr 23, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 13
i don't even see the clock mod listed on their site....hmm

mark, you really didn't notice too much in the way of improvement with the bybees? i'm assuming (yikes) that they are similar to ferrite clamps?

Apr 23, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #13 of 13
The thing is, you send it in and two weeks later you get it back (I think wait is longer now). When I first got the Level 1 mods, it had that "oh wow" factor big-time. When I got it back second time with the Bybees, it still sounded fabulous, but I didn't get the same effect.

However, a lot of the mods he did to my 333, including the Bybees (which is not a ferrite ring!) and the mods to the power supply (and adding IEC connection) can take advantage of more and better power. I never bought a fancy power cord which might help take advantage of the tweaks more fully. Well, I have a new power cord on its way for the 333. I'll post impressions in cable forum.

markl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back