To iPod Video 5.5 RockBox Users: Has the battery problem been fixed yet?
Jun 26, 2008 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Meloncoly

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting the iPod Video again, and modding it with a flash drive. I miss the LOD. So, I was wondering, if the battery life improved at all? I remember when I was using Rockbox on my iPod Video a year and a half ago that they said something about the Video having a PortalPlayer chip in it, that there were battery life limitations because of it. Have those limitations been improved or lifted? And also for iPod Video Rockbox users, what is your average battery life? I would be running off a flash drive, so that should prolong it. I used to only get around 10 hours with the stock battery and 30GB HDD. Is it the same situation now?

Jun 26, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks. Looks like they haven't improved it at all since a year ago. Well, that doesn't deter me from getting one! ^_^ Hopefully with a flash drive and a higher capacity battery, it will improve.

Jun 26, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #5 of 11
@nsx: The battery took 2 and a half weeks for it to arrive.

Jun 26, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #7 of 11
i'm getting ~15hours on my rockbox 80gb 5.5g ipod

Jun 26, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 11
I was going to try Rockbox again myself but since I converted it to flash based, it wouldn't work. Turns out I have too slow of a flash card. I'm thinking of replacing it because loading it with music takes forever. But I digress. The reason I was going to try Rockbox again is that they have done a lot with the battery issue. If you go to their site, many are reporting runtimes similar or better than OEM. I say it is worth a try. I certainly plan to give it another go after I replace my drive.

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 11
Cool. Thanks for the info guys. I was gonna take my CF card from my iRiver and use that. The A-Data one runs fine Rockboxed on the iRiver, so I would assume it would do the same under the iPod. I have read of issues where the iPod's coding isn't up to snuff, and it could be made better to efficiently do data reads or something of the sort, but that's just me assuming. I'm planning on getting a 30GB iPod, modding it with a 60GB backplate, adding a new 850mah battery, and doing the CF mod with the iFlash adapter.

Jun 26, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #11 of 11
Good to know. Now with a larger battery I should hope to get at least 20 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back