To iPod or not to iPod?
Dec 15, 2009 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Punky

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So I'm thinking about finally picking up an iPod Classic after being an avid iPod hater for many years. I originally avoided the iPod because of the SQ, but I've heard they updated the DAC and things are sounding much snazzier. So should I get one?

Here's some background: I started on a Creative Labs Nomad Zen Xtra and moved up to a Creative Labs Zen Vision M and I was very satisfied with the SQ of both. I now listen to my Zen Vision M with Sony MDRV-7506 headphones which I also use for DJing. I mainly listen to punk, EDM, hardcore, hip-hop, and general rock. Bass is important to me, but not at the expense of highs and mids.

I'm upgrading because my Zen Vision M is doing some weird stuff with its battery - the battery life is decreasing rather significantly over the last two months (I get about 9 or 10 hours on a charge when I used to get about 12 or 14) and it's about three years old now.

Here are my thoughts:

PROS:

Tons of storage space. I filled up my Zen Vision M 60 gig entirely too quickly.

I never used the video functions of the Zen Vision M because I'm on a Mac and using the workarounds to convert the video was a pain in the ass. However, I won't have to do that with the iPod, and there are tons of videos available.

The accessory market for the iPod is very good. There are all kinds of gewgaws and nick nacks and iPod sleeves I can pick from.

It integrates well with my Macbook and many of my DJ programs can read the iPod like an HD, which is REALLY nice. A lot of DJ hardware uses the iPod as well.

CONS:

No integrated microphone, though I hear that there are gizmos I can slap onto it to give it that functionality.

I've heard the headphone jack doesn't really have the juice to amp a full sized pair of phones like my Sony MDRV-7506s. I don't know how true this is. Your experiences?

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 20
I think the classic should have no problems powering your sony hp's. based on the specs, the 7506 is only 60 ohms have senn hd580's (300 ohms) and with the volume completely maxed out, they get to a loud enough volume.

i also stayed away from ipods after starting out with them mainly because i hated itunes. but once i started converting my music library to mainly flac/320kbps, i really had to get something with more capacity. you can really improve the sound by getting an LOD and maybe a portable amp with the classic. The sound from the line out is much better than the HP out, imo.

Dec 15, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 20
Noob question: What's a LOD? I've seen that acronym bandied about but have no idea what it means.

I'm probably going to avoid the portable amp because it's an extra expense I can't really justify and I'm always on the train and on the go so having another gizmo weighing me down isn't really an option.

Dec 15, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 20
LOD = Line Out Dock. The connector at the bottom of an iPod. Cleaner signal than headphone out. Could you not get the battery in your Zen replaced?

Dec 15, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by krismusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOD = Line Out Dock. The connector at the bottom of an iPod. Cleaner signal than headphone out. Could you not get the battery in your Zen replaced?

I could, but Creative Labs tends to rake you over the coals for the cost of stuff like that. Also, I'd love to have more capacity.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 20
you could also get the fiio e1 - a LOD to a portable amp/remote for the ipod. not really added weight or anything. there's a great review by ClieOS here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/p...iio-e1-448364/

i think you can grab one for ~$20 right now. the remote is a nice addition so you don't have to take out your ipod constantly.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm on a Mac.

Dude, why are you even thinking twice? That's like wondering if you should put Pirelli tires or no-name Walmarts on your porsche.

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #10 of 20
Yes!! Integration with your mac will be sweet.

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 20
Is there any other kind of integration besides native iTunes compatibility that I should know about? I remember back in the day you couldn't pull files off of your iPod, only load them up. Is there any way around this? Or has this silly ass DRM measure gone away?

Dec 15, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any other kind of integration besides native iTunes compatibility that I should know about? I remember back in the day you couldn't pull files off of your iPod, only load them up. Is there any way around this? Or has this silly ass DRM measure gone away?

You can sync your ipod with Winamp and Mediamonkey, and possibly others. I'm fairly sure you can pull the files off this way. That's how I sync my ipod, cause I can't stand iTunes.

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Booda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think is a good pairing with a fullsize phones on the go. if you really want a convenience one, to pair a decent IEMs is the good option.

I've actually got a pair of V Moda Vibes, but I'm not a huge fan of them, though they are nice and compact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back