To iMod or Not to iMod, that is the . . .
Aug 6, 2007 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

2.2gotboost

100+ Head-Fier
I have a an opportunity to get an iMod (A New/Refurbed Unit from ALO). I have read and read about them and it seems to be a major upgrade. Anyway I am wondering if Apple is any closer to releasing the next gen iPod. I know if I get an iMod Apple will release the next gen iPod the following week. What to do, what to do?

Aug 6, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 13
The beauty part about buying an iMod is that you are buying what will be and is already considered vintage audio equip. It is resilient to upgrades because the SQ it produces is not readily available with most new technology. If you are looking for a new toy with new functions hold out for the ipod (I myself am curious to see what they will come up with) but if SQ is your goal get the iMod because nothing Apple puts out in the future will touch it in that dept. Its not their goal.

Aug 6, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 13
well if you follow the trend of Red win audio, their version of the 5th gen iMod didnt come out for a LONG time after the release of the new generation. I do feel your pain in your decision though. but if you are defiantly going to get an iMod just do it with this gen because apple hasnt even officallly said anything about release and also the lag for the MOD to be figured out.

Aug 6, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 13
There's certainly no reason to expect the next iPod to be any better than the current ones in terms of SQ, whenever it appears. On the other hand, it will probably be a better product than the current one in other ways - smaller, or larger capacity, or with better video performance. And Vinnie will probably develop a mod for it in time. But given the length of time it took for the 5G iMod to appear, I wouldn't hold out any hope for the 6g version any time soon.

Aug 6, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 13
there is no question about it. Mod that bad mofo - you'll be glad you did. As others have posted above, there is no way you're going to be "left behind" if Apple releases another generation the day you get your 5G iMod back.

iMod != iPod++

An iMod is an iMod.

Aug 6, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 13
It's quite simple actually. Apple aim to strenghten their claim on the DAP market. Any next gen iPod will definitely tailored for ease of use for the masses - and the masses are not audiophiles or junkies like most of us here in Head-Fi. The masses are blessed with the comfort and joy in listening to simplified product that already sounds good to their ear, and the majority of them didn't even bother to look beyond iBuds. There's no money in catering for the audiophiles market - so you can expect the next gen DAP to sound similar with what's already offered now.

iMod on the other hand, has been proven over and over again to outclass any known DAP in existence - that includes any newer model coming out in the near horizon - why is this possible? because again back to the statement above, most manufacturers will aim to make their DAP smaller and more compact - in the process they will allow lotsa trade-off that will further introduce more compromises - these sort of things are not acceptable for audio junkies - where SQ governs everything.

The way I look at it, 5G and 5.5G iMod will have at least another 5 to 8 years of shelf life unless Vinnie or someone like him manage to find a different sort of modded DAP that can eclipse iMod

Aug 6, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The beauty part about buying an iMod is that you are buying what will be and is already considered vintage audio equip. It is resilient to upgrades because the SQ it produces is not readily available with most new technology. If you are looking for a new toy with new functions hold out for the ipod (I myself am curious to see what they will come up with) but if SQ is your goal get the iMod because nothing Apple puts out in the future will touch it in that dept. Its not their goal.

I couldn't agree more with this post.

iMod all the way!

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 13
Wait until the 6g is released an buy a 5.5 of someone who thinks youre a fool, but for low price of course.

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #12 of 13
Buy a Kenwood.

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 13
Don't you know? An Imod + 250 posts equals entry into team dumb crackhead!

That my friend should be motivation enough to get one. ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back