To: HFI-650 users w/ straight cable
May 9, 2003 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GTecX

100+ Head-Fier
Do any of you with the version that has the straight cable (not coiled) hear a *slightly* higher gain on the right channel than on the left? My coiled version seems fine, but the new one's center seems to be a bit off to the right. I'm wondering if it's a problem with just mine.

May 9, 2003 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 5
Hey GTecX,

This is a very interesting question you asked. My HF-650 have a straight cable and, just as you described - a center that is moved to the right just a bit. This is more obvious with electronic music, where there is a bass drum beat that is a tad off to the right. I also perceive some soundstage effectes better with my right ear.

But,

This is something that I have been dealing with all my life with all the headphones that I ever used, from earbuds to full sized ones. My conclusion was a logical one - my right ear is a bit more sensitive than the left, so when I noticed the same with the Ultrasones, I had no reason do suspect the drivers are mismatched. However, in your case they might be, since both coiled and stright cables should be of the same quality.

Couple of friends of mine tried the Ultrasones and they never complained.

BTW did you get the Trackmasters again, or the DVD Edition?

May 9, 2003 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 5
Hmm, I didn't know HFI-650 has a coiled wire variant...

Anyway, the "off-center" sound you're talking about may have something to do with the decentralized placement of the driver.

Also, I've had more or less the same experience as miroslav: I tend to perceive more presence on the R channel, no matter what can I use. Both my Trackmaster and DVD Edition sound pretty ok.

Hope you solve the mystery soon.

May 9, 2003 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by El Scorcho
Hmm, I didn't know HFI-650 has a coiled wire variant...

Yeah, I ordered mine in January I think from Dr. Meier and it came with a coiled cord. I haven't noticed a higher gain in the right cup though.

May 9, 2003 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 5
Both of mine are regular versions, the only difference is that one has a coiled cable, and the other has straight cable. The balance sounds right with the coiled version, but sounds off with the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back