To hell with SACD & DVD-A!
Mar 14, 2003 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

kentamcolin

1000+ Head-Fier
What do I mean? I just hooked up a Thorens TD160 Super and put on some Oscar Peterson. Unbelievable! I have a good redbook source (HDCD capable) and that is where it stops for me and digital sources. I'm now a vinyl junkie and can't wait to try out the 20+ LP's I've acquired while waiting for my TT to arrive. The sound is detailed and warm, the best way I can describe it is "believable." Digital sounds almost sterile by comparison. I have not felt this kind of excitement for music since I was a teenager with a new stereo.

Mar 14, 2003 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 31
Make sure markl doesn't see this thread, LOL.

All things considered, i'm in bliss everytime i listen to my Taxi Driver soundtrack 180gram via my Stax SR40 electrets. I highly recommend you find the Simply Vinyl version which i own, if your a fan of the movie you'll love this soundtrack.

Mar 14, 2003 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 31
Heh heh, well anyone who can hear the limits of Redbook CD, is OK in my book, even if they feel the need to travel back in time and retreat to vinyl to escape.
wink.gif

Glad you are enjoying your music again!

Mark

Mar 14, 2003 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by kentamcolin
The sound is detailed and warm, the best way I can describe it is "believable." Digital sounds almost sterile by comparison. I have not felt this kind of excitement for music since I was a teenager with a new stereo.

Isn't it great? And used LP's are so inexpensive. So cool that a 25 cent LP can blow away a DVD-A or SACD.

Mar 14, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 31
Yes, the Oscar Peterson LP I found was $1.99 at a used music store. however, I've been tempted by some of the new pressings, especially a new 45rpm jazz series, at $50 per copy!

Mar 15, 2003 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Isn't it great? And used LP's are so inexpensive. So cool that a 25 cent LP can blow away a DVD-A or SACD.

Yep, i wonder why some dvd-a/sacd fanboys get so upset at the vinyl medium
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 15, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
You guys make me wanna dust off my Oracle/EMT!!
biggrin.gif

You should. Notwithstanding the superior sound, there is still a ton of stuff that was released on vinyl that will never make it to CD--in any form. For that alone, it's worth dusting off your old turntable.

Mar 15, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 31
I have the same feelings regarding vinyl as you, kentamcolin. I've recently begun the arduous task of archiving my 1000+ LPs on minidisc, using a Thorens TD125 MKII, and everytime I put on an album, I'm utterly amazed at what this medium is capable of. I mean, geez, it's a diamond stylus vibrating in a groove!
I've also got to say, MD makes the medium of vinyl portable.....the warmth and naturalness of the vinyl is pretty much retained on the MD.
I'm glad you've re-discovered vinyl......enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 31
I am with you Ken ! I just got a used Planar 3 and some used records and I am listening to "the music" again instead of trying to figure out if the cd recording is good, natural etc...

Vinyl just sounds like music.

Mar 15, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by TKSingh

Vinyl just sounds like music.

Well said. And isn't SACD nothing more than an attempt to get CDs to sound more like vinyl? It takes a new format to give us what we had years and years ago (and still have). Go figure.

Mar 16, 2003 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 31
Gotta agree with ya.

I've had my Rega P3 up for sale for the past 6 months or so and have had nothing but agro and timewasters.

Last week I decided to keep it and press it back into service alongside my trusty Project RPM w/ Ortofon Rohmann MC.

Today on the first of day of my weeks holiday from work I got around to fixing the rack on the wall and setting up the Rega with a Blue Point MC.

WOW! I'd forgotten how good this combination sounded. Myself and my father spent a good few hours together listening to Gilbert & Sullivans HMS Pinafore, Tracy Chapman debut album, Kenny Ball's midnight In Moscow along with some Emmylou Harris.

The feeling of spaciousness, the dynamics, and the naturalness is very refreshing. To be honest, I haven't had much chance to listen to music at home this past week due to work commitments so the week or so break from listening has made realise just how good it can sound when you put the effort into your listening.

Sound As Ever
listening to New Favourite - Alison Krauss
on Krell MD10/STUDIO w/Theta TLC >-- Sugden Headmaster >-- Stax Lambda Nova Basic Phones

Mar 16, 2003 at 2:02 AM Post #14 of 31
Hehe...

I'm using a music hall MMF-1, a parasound reciever and some PSB alphas. It's still sonic bliss!

kentamcolin, I think you and me are going to get along very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back