To get input volume correct???
Aug 29, 2003 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

london luke

100+ Head-Fier
Digital volume output from Marantz 63mk2 KI into Super Chiarra (Well thats what its called for the moment!!)

How high should I set the output to ????

Should it be full output to let the amp have a large input etc???

You guys know what i mean.....!!

Aug 29, 2003 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 4
I'd keep the CDP output level at max or close to max (simple digital volume controls have the habit of loosing bit resolution, if used for more than subtle attenuation). Though, its of course better to decrease it further in case clipping in amp input stage is suspected.

Also, the quality of the amps level control needs to be considered; if you happen to have a pot with bad L/R balance in the range of listening volumes its better to decrease the CDP level, even if loosing some bits.

Aug 29, 2003 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 4
I have a Headroom Total Airhead that I bought from another headfier recently. The directions it came with suggested if there was no line out to use the headset output, with the volume set about halfway up.

The guys at Headroom are well regarded by most folks here, and seem to have their heads screwed on straight, so that advice seems to me to make sense.

You don't want the volume up loud, or the lousy amp in the device will distort the sound more, and then the external amp will amplify the worsened signal. Too low may have the same issues, and may make it too quiet.

(Too quiet is not a problem I'm having. My device seems to drive the Ety 4S just fine. "Half way up" to drive the TA is higher than I've ever listened to it. I suspect this device does not strongly need an amp.)

Hope that helped some.

Aug 29, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 4
I've always used the volume all the way up on my Marantz players. The digital volume control is not the best on those units and anything lower than all the way up altered the sound. If you can use it this way without any clipping of the amp (which I've never encountered), the that's how you should set it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back