To get a 2nd hand Earmax Pro or a new LD MKIII/IV?
Feb 23, 2008 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Arrin

New Head-Fier
I've been looking to get into tube amplifiers for a while and have been given the opportunity to acquire an Earmax Pro at what I believe is quite a good price.

Where would the EMP be sq wise compared to the Little Dot lineup? I know people used to think highly of it but also am aware that its a rather old design. For the price of the EMP I could get an MKIII or maybe just go for the MKIV if it'd be the best option.

I'd be currently be using the amp for MS1s and DT990s, but might also go for some more phones along the path of upgraditis. How is the EMP for driving higher impedance phones like the DT990? I listen to all kinds of music but mostly to rock / classic rock / ska. Would appreciate any thoughts from you guys!

- Arrin

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 5
The EMP is an old design, true and tested one could say, and it can sound very nice with the right tubes. It also scales quite well with good tubes leaving you with many options to tailor the sound to your liking. Also keep in mind that should something go wrong with the amp, Germany isn't too far from Finland or the UK.
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The EMP is an old design, true and tested one could say, and it can sound very nice with the right tubes. It also scales quite well with good tubes leaving you with many options to tailor the sound to your liking. Also keep in mind that should something go wrong with the amp, Germany isn't too far from Finland or the UK.
wink.gif

I've read that the EMP is a good match with grados. However I remember someone mentioning that its not good at prat. So, how do you think the EMP would do with the music genres listed earlier? (With appropriate tubes installed.)

Also have you heard any of the amps from the LD/DV lineups to compare? The EMP still retails for a lot higher price than any of these chinese tube amps. One might think this puts it to a higher class. I was wondering if the price is only due to it having a well known status and being made in the europe?

- Arrin

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read that the EMP is a good match with grados. However I remember someone mentioning that its not good at prat. So, how do you think the EMP would do with the music genres listed earlier? (With appropriate tubes installed.)

Also have you heard any of the amps from the LD/DV lineups to compare? The EMP still retails for a lot higher price than any of these chinese tube amps. One might think this puts it to a higher class. I was wondering if the price is only due to it having a well known status and being made in the europe?

- Arrin

I haven't heard the LD/DV lineup, but I've read very good things about the DV lineup. I just recently bought my Earmax and my personal reasoning was that I prefer having a German product for maintenance reasons and because it has stood the test of time in terms of reliability. If I lived in the US, I might think the same about Woo, Eddie Current or Singlepower products. Also, I needed a small amp, so that narrowed the contender field greatly.

I don't really listen much to rock, so I can't answer that part of the question. PRaT-wise, I think it does pretty well.

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 5
EMP is very soft and slow, probably not a good choice for r"ock / classic rock / ska".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back