To finish antibiotics on not to finish antibiotics
Aug 2, 2008 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
A while back I caught a nasty cold, complete with sore throat. I normally just wait them out, but as I'm prone to ear infections, when my inner ears started to hurt I went and visited my local drug dealer who for a small co-pay of $50 hooked me up with a 10 day, 20 pill run of Augmentin antibiotics.

2 days after, my ears felt substantially better and my sore throat was almost gone.
3 days, my ears and throat felt completely normal, but still had cold symptoms of cought and stuffy nose
4 days, cough symptoms began to subside, sore throat and ears still gone

Now, at 5 days, I feel fit as a fiddle. I just can't see taking antibiotics for 5 more days when I feel fine. Plus, the antibiotics give me the runs, which the doctor said was a possible side effect. This is rather unpleasant.

So, I know people always say "OMG you MUST finish your antibiotics even after you feel better or your brain will splode!!!!" but, why do they tell you to keep taking them for days after you feel better? Is it because they don't want you taking them later without coming in to the doctor and giving them more money for more antibiotics later? Or will my infection really come back if I stop taking them?

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 37
You must take the antibiotics for the 10 days they're prescribed to completely erradicate the bacteries causing the infection. Otherwise you have about 70% probability to suffer the infection again caused for the population of bacteries who are still in a too low number to cause symptoms, but are ready to grow and multiplicate as soon as you stop having the antibiotics.

I wonder why many people like you choose not to follow their doctor's instructions and decide to go for the "creative medicine". Really unbelieavable, you behave as though medical titulation were given for free at raffles, and medical science were voodoo. But it's still more incredible that you come to an audio forum seeking for advice.

Rgrds

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 37
LOL torpedo you crack me up. Anyway, this is why antibiotics are becoming less effective. That 30% of bacteria that lives (when you don't take all your doses) is the "stronger" group, or more resistant to antibiotics. Thus only those are multiplying and now you have bacteria that is harder to kill and antibiotics lose their power.'

Way to go human kind for not listening to your EXPERTS.

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 37
Yeah, people who do not complete their antibiotics dosages pisses me off.
mad.gif
mad.gif

Its because of these people that bacteria strains become resistant to more and more types of antibiotics...
mad.gif
mad.gif

biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

But seriously though "trains are bad", do complete the full 10 days. Not because doctors don't want you to save $ for using the remaining antibiotics later, but because of the reasons already stated in the posts above. Its true.
smile.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 37
Yes, finish it. You might as well since you've already paid for it. Plus, by the time you may need an antibiotic again they may have expired.It may also not be the right antibiotic to take when you get sick again.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 37
In biology/medicine textbooks there's always a page (or chapter) on the effects of stopping an antibiotics treatment early. I've always wondered who those people were and why they would do something so stupid...

Well, now I know.

wink.gif

EK

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #10 of 37
Not finishing an antibiotic course is how we end up with multiple-drug-resistant varieties of disease.

Please finish your prescription, if not for yourself than for humanity.

Thanks.

--Chris

Aug 3, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #11 of 37
you can stop taking medication if you like....

by the time that bacteria grows back, you'll be prescribed another type of antibiotics. Stronger ones!!

They'll kill off bacteria.. along with something else in your body.

Why bother taking such risk? finish your prescription and you won't have to worry.

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #12 of 37
I finished my medication and got pneumonia in my other lung anyway. Trust me, you gotta finish it. It's so hard to get rid of that stuff if it comes back.

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #13 of 37
you keep taking it because there MAY still be bits of the bacteria inside your system. taking ALL of the antibiotics will make sure to clear them ALL out so that the bacteria wont mutate and become resistant to the antibiotic for future cases.

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #14 of 37
Listen to Dr. House!!

Not finishing antibiotics leads to drug-resistant bacteria. Only the weaker ones are killed, the remaining ones are stronger and become resistant to the antibiotic, resulting in these "super germs" that cannot be killed.

Finish your pills or we'll all get sick!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back