To experts: Whats the difference btw grado sound vs senn sound?
Mar 5, 2004 at 6:19 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by jpo245
Hi experts,

I've always been a grado fan, and started off with the 60s, and right now at the 80s.. was thinking of getting the 225s..

i love the sound, and i find it excellent for most of my listening stuff... the bass is good for stuff like dance, and the midrange is nice for rock too. with super clarity all the while...

how do the senns sound like?
im thinkin of getting some 600s, but im not sure if i will like the sound... how different is it? is the bass as good?

The HD600s are very different from the SR225s (I used to have the 225s, and now have the HD600s). The 225s have an up-front, in-your-face sound. The SR225s are punchy, but the HD600s with an upgrade cable are much more impactful overall, to me. The HD600s simply mop the floor with the SR225s as far as being able to plumb the depths of the bass in a recording. The sound is very laid back on the HD600s, the soundstage is huge on these things. The HD600s do not excite nearly as much as the 225s, but I prefer them since the sound is more to my liking and it is far more comfortable to listen to for long sessions. I like the HD600s for industrial and rock better than the SR225s, but I am likely in the minority on this. I tend to like a large soundstage so that when I close my eyes I feel like I'm in an auditorium listening to music, it gets me far more involved in the music than a closed soundstage and in-your-face sound does. I love my HD600s with the Oehlbach upgrade cable and doubt I'll be giving them up any day soon.

Again, this is all IMHO and I do have a minority opinion on the HD600s. I don't like listening to classical on them since they simply sound boring then, which definately goes against the majority opinion on Head-Fi since most here relate these as excellent classical cans. The SR225s actually made me enjoy classical and if I listened to classical enough I'm sure I'd get another pair. I think the HD600s are quite underrated for rock and electronic music. Also, system synergy is very critical on these. All my stuff is carefully matched for the HD600s to listen to industrial and rock on them.

Mar 5, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #18 of 18
The Senns are smooth yet veiled and slightly laid back. They are great cans for relaxing to your music. They won't lull you to sleep, but won't keep you awake either.

The Grados, OTOH, are aggressive and not laid back at all. THey are the kind of cans that keep you engaged while listening and will keep you awake with their energetic sound.

The bass of the Senns is quite nice, but since the cans are much harder to drive it takes a good amp to bring the bass out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back