To dac or not to dac
Jan 26, 2021 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Shabda

100+ Head-Fier
I realize this is an all too common question but i’m getting tired trying to search forums for my particular situation

i have schitt heresy, just bought loki, using with srh 1540, sundara, 6xx (etc :wink:

streaming through iphone se2020 with apple dongle (dac)

i dont hear much background noise if any right now on normal listening. Only if i turn my iphone volume way down (losing sound quality by keeping it up???)

anyway, i’m wondering if i should get the modi 3 + to convert my hifi files i.e. my deezer/tidal and flac

i guess i’m comparing apple dongle to modi 3 +

am i losing bits? Audible bits? By passing on the modi?

i cant find any specs on apple dongle’s bit rate / sample rate

any info / advice would be so much help

thank you!

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 9
Not 100% sure by " I'm wondering if I should get the Modi 3 + to convert my Hifi files i.e. my deezer/tidal and FLAC".
Are you wondering if you should send your digital music files thru the Modi 3, instead of the Apple dongle?
Will the Modi 3 connect directly to your iPhone se2020?

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 9
I guess either the iPhone is outputting noise or the dongle.
But best guess the noise is coming from the Schiit Hersey.
What is the Loki used for.

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 9
The loki hasnt arrived yet but i just plan to use it as an eq in conjunction with the heresy. I’ve decided to not get the modi because it seems to primarily reduce noise but i dont have that problem (yet?). We’ll see with the loki or if i get better headphones later (currently running sundara and srh 1540).

however i always see people showing off their stacks! Makes me wonder, and it does look good, eh idk it’s just peer pressure maybe

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #7 of 9
I realize this is an all too common question but i’m getting tired trying to search forums for my particular situation

i have schitt heresy, just bought loki, using with srh 1540, sundara, 6xx (etc :wink:

streaming through iphone se2020 with apple dongle (dac)
Check out this review of the Apple USB-C dongle. I'm pretty certain the Lightning dongle is the same, just a different connector. There are some graphs on there that show how it compares to the Modi 3. Modi 3 looks a little better, but I don't know that those differences will be audible. I think the way that the Modi will be better is by having higher voltage, but this should only really matter if you're not able to get your current setup loud enough..

i dont hear much background noise if any right now on normal listening. Only if i turn my iphone volume way down (losing sound quality by keeping it up???)
Best to keep the phone's volume at or near max. A phone's volume is controlled digitally and it loses bits the lower you go... that may or may not be audible.
Also, I don't see the Heresy's input sensitivity, but my guess is that it's best to keep it at 1V or above; turning the phone's volume down will lower the voltage.

My general view is that if you don't hear a problem (E.G., noise) then don't worry about.
anyway, i’m wondering if i should get the modi 3 + to convert my hifi files i.e. my deezer/tidal and flac

i guess i’m comparing apple dongle to modi 3 +

am i losing bits? Audible bits? By passing on the modi?

i cant find any specs on apple dongle’s bit rate / sample rate

any info / advice would be so much help

thank you!
The Apple dongle can do up to 24kBps/96kHz. That link says that it's limited (for some reason?) to 24/48, but somewhere else people were claiming an update allowed it to go all the way to 24/96.

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 9
Check out this review of the Apple USB-C dongle. I'm pretty certain the Lightning dongle is the same, just a different connector. There are some graphs on there that show how it compares to the Modi 3. Modi 3 looks a little better, but I don't know that those differences will be audible. I think the way that the Modi will be better is by having higher voltage, but this should only really matter if you're not able to get your current setup loud enough..

Best to keep the phone's volume at or near max. A phone's volume is controlled digitally and it loses bits the lower you go... that may or may not be audible.
Also, I don't see the Heresy's input sensitivity, but my guess is that it's best to keep it at 1V or above; turning the phone's volume down will lower the voltage.

My general view is that if you don't hear a problem (E.G., noise) then don't worry about.

The Apple dongle can do up to 24kBps/96kHz. That link says that it's limited (for some reason?) to 24/48, but somewhere else people were claiming an update allowed it to go all the way to 24/96.

Thank you very much for the research and tidbit about phone volume. I happen to be listening to subdaras on heresy right now and it actually made a big difference because I thought the opposite before so had it very low

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back