To Complete My Trio...RS-1 or RS-2
Jun 19, 2006 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

esco

100+ Head-Fier
I know this has been debated over and over, and i've researched as much as possible, but I just can't make up my mind. I currently have a beyer DT770-80 (which will be darth beyer'd soon), a senn HD650 is on it's way, and now I want to round it all off with a grado. I have the SR-80, and think they sound amazing, but the head-fi syndrome tells me there's better out there w/ the grado sound.

I'll be using the DT770's for trance/electronica/rap, HD650 for slower stuff, and the grado for rock. I've heard in past threads that RS-2's are better for rock but RS-1's have better soundstage and are a better all-around headphone. Since I want these headphones JUST for rock, should I just assume that the RS-2's are for me? Or should I succumb to the head-fi ultimate upgraditis syndrome and shoot for the more expensive RS-1's just for the hell of it?

So confused...please help

By the way, the headphone's are coming out of a Headroom Microstack + DPS

Thanks in advance
orphsmile.gif

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 5
I had to make a similar decision when I first got obsessed with this stuff. I listened to both the RS-1 and RS-2 quite a bit in the store before making a decision and ultimately went with the RS-2. The RS-1 has more detail and was closer to the HD650s than the RS-2. I felt the RS-2 had a better embodiement of the Grado house sound though. I would definitely recommend listening to both before deciding though.

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 5
I wish i could audition them here, but i have no idea where to in my area. The only headphone place around here is guitar center...and they don't carry Grado's

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 5
Have you heard either one of them before? Deciding between RS-1 vs. RS-2 isn't as straight forward and you should base your decision on your ears and use our recommendations as few grains of salt. I've auditioned both of them, and chosen RS-2 over RS-1 few years ago. It was very close call, but my decision was based on intimate more direct presentation of RS-2. I felt RS-2 sounded little faster and more punchy than RS-1 by a tiny margin due to its smaller soundstage. Now I owned both RS-1 and RS-2 so I don't have to lug around the RS-2 between my home and my office all the time.

Anyways, unless you have a Grado trained ears, differences between them may be more subtle than what you read from the reviews and comments. Yes, there are differences, but you need to really hear it to see if the you can spot the differences and if it really matters. RS-2 is CHEAPER than RS-1, you know
icon10.gif
Try to attend a local meet (there should be one in Cincinnati, OH in a couple of month). I'm so sure that we will let you audition our RS-1 and RS-2.
rs1smile.gif

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by esco
I wish i could audition them here, but i have no idea where to in my area. The only headphone place around here is guitar center...and they don't carry Grado's

Didn't see this before I posted my reply. Oops, I guess I waited too long to post my comments. I was typing the reply, but I had to put my son in bed before I submit the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back