To Canadians Re: Shipping
Jan 23, 2004 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Newbie1

100+ Head-Fier
For Canadians, which one of these shipping methods offers the least trouble. By trouble I mean brokerage fees and etc. Also which one is the fastest? Are there any other methods worth mentioning that are not in this list?

US Postal Service(First/Priority Mail)
FedEx International Economy
FedEx International Priority
Ground To Canada

Jan 23, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 24
First of all, DON"T DON"T DON"T USE FedEx if you ship somthing from US to Canada! I buy and sell lots of stuff from/to US, and I only used FedEx twice, both transation had problems. I took me a month to solve the problem. (it is a long story, don't want to talk about it.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

I usually use UPS or USPS. UPS is more expansive but realiable and faster. USPS is cheaper and slower.

Jan 23, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 24
If price is a major concern, only use USPS. Canada Post will charge you a $5 handling fee/customs clearing fee. Every other company will charge whatever they want, usually $50 and up.

Do a search for "canada customs", tons of threads will pop up... this has been discussed to death in the other forums.

Jan 23, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Newbie1
Ground To Canada

The first thing you should do is strike ground shipping options off of your list, especially UPS Ground (aka "UPS Standard To Canada"). This option doesn't include Customs brokerage, so you could be assessed a massive fee (duty + tax) when it arrives at your door. Also, we discussed UPS, in general, in this thread (where I happen to describe two of my most horrible shipping experiences -- both with UPS).

Anyway, as davei mentioned, a search for various keywords (e.g. canada, shipping, customs, UPS, etc.) will probably bring up some threads with other good info, too. Those should give you some ideas about your shipping options.

D.

Jan 23, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 24
maybe from your position UPS seems like the way to go... but for me on the recieving end it is the WORST!

I dont think that my situation is too out of the ordinary either.

I live in an apartment building and am never home during business hours because I am at work.

Because of this UPS will never be able to get the package to me unless they give it to my superintendant.

If this situation happens with FedEx, they just drop the package off at my local post office and it is easy for me to get it on the way home. When it happens with UPS, I need to go to the special UPS depot that is in ANOTHER CITY. And its not like I live in a small town. Hamilton is pretty big. But the depot is in Stoney Creek and is inaccessable by bus.

anyways, didnt mean to vent so much, but I wanted to show the other side of the coin...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 24
Vaja shipped my iPod case via FedEx and there were absolutely no problems. The package arrived a few hours late but I didn't have to pay any taxes (surprising) or brokerage fees.

Jan 23, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by philodox
maybe from your position UPS seems like the way to go... but for me on the recieving end it is the WORST!

I dont think that my situation is too out of the ordinary either.

I live in an apartment building and am never home during business hours because I am at work.

Because of this UPS will never be able to get the package to me unless they give it to my superintendant.

If this situation happens with FedEx, they just drop the package off at my local post office and it is easy for me to get it on the way home. When it happens with UPS, I need to go to the special UPS depot that is in ANOTHER CITY. And its not like I live in a small town. Hamilton is pretty big. But the depot is in Stoney Creek and is inaccessable by bus.

anyways, didnt mean to vent so much, but I wanted to show the other side of the coin...
smily_headphones1.gif

I live in Winnipeg, did you think I was American? Also does anyone else notice that prices for headphones in Canada DONT correspond to the CA/US Dollar exchange rate? Here I bought the Senn Mx400s for $30 total and they sell the horrible Sennheiser 500s for $150!

Jan 23, 2004 at 5:25 AM Post #8 of 24
definately don't use UPS! they are notorious for having outrageous border charges.

Jan 23, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #9 of 24
There are no duties. Let's be clear on that ... someone mentioned it, but there are no duties because of NAFTA.

You DO get charged GST, wether its FEDEX, UPS or USPS/CP. OK fact of life.

But its the fricking brokerage "service" fees that FEDEX and UPS charge to "clear" your shipment through customs which is outrageous!! Typically $50 and up. If you are purchasing a small $ item, it just ain't worth it. Those considering FEDEX or UPS ... keep that in mind.

I've had stuff shipped USPS/CP Priority: it was cheaper, took only a couple of days longer, and the processing fee was considerably less. If I'm not at home, I can pick up the package next day at the post office. Gets my vote.

Jan 23, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by mister__big
Vaja shipped my iPod case via FedEx and there were absolutely no problems. The package arrived a few hours late but I didn't have to pay any taxes (surprising) or brokerage fees.

Your "bill" for GST and "brokerage service fees" will sometimes come in the mail almost two months afterwards. You many not be off the hook just yet.

Jan 23, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #11 of 24
Hey Newbie, as you have read there are horror stories about all the different shipping methods. I don't think there is one best method.

Here are my opinions:

Purolator:
- absolutely the worst. They have a third party pay the taxes for you - and don't tell you. I clearly indicated that I wanted the package held for pickup because I knew there were taxes to be paid and I work during the day so I was not going to be home. I arrived home to find my package being used as a dogbone because the idiot courier mailsloted it. A month later I received a letter from a strange company asking for my visa # because I owed them money but no details what for. 2 months later they finally send me a letter of details about why the money was owed. Purolator uses the company to pay taxes up front so they can provide better service for their customers. I suppose it is better service, but not if you don't know what is going on.

Fedex:
Very easy to track and fast. The courier arrives at your door and you pay tax to him before getting the package. Or you can pick it up at the closest warehouse. More expensive but best choice if time is a factor.

US Postal Service(First/Priority Mail):
- takes a longer but it eventually gets there. Best choice if time is not a factor.

Ground To Canada:
- have not used it

Jan 23, 2004 at 10:31 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Number9
There are no duties. Let's be clear on that ... someone mentioned it, but there are no duties because of NAFTA.

Actually, Canada Customs still uses the term "customs duty". It can be broken down, in most cases, as the duty (GST) and tax (additional PST and/or remainder of the HST in some provinces), but additional duties/tariffs still apply on some items shipped from the U.S.

By the way, products made in Germany (Sennheisers, for instance) are considered non-exempt (i.e. dutiable). They don't qualify under NAFTA because they're manufactured outside of Canada and the U.S.

D.

Jan 23, 2004 at 12:00 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Number9
Your "bill" for GST and "brokerage service fees" will sometimes come in the mail almost two months afterwards. You many not be off the hook just yet.

I think I'm off the hook now that it's been 5 months, but I'll keep you updated should I get a bill.

Jan 23, 2004 at 12:23 PM Post #14 of 24
USPS. Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Usually get my stuff in 5-7 business days. On most small items (like headphones), they don't even bother to charge taxes, even though the little green sticker declares a value of $60... If if they do, it's a fair 15%+$5.

With the other carriers, you always pay taxes, and the broker's fee is minimum $30, even if the item is itself worth $30...

I must have gotten about a dozen packages from the states through USPS and I was always very pleased. You pay taxes so the government maintains a great postal service, you might as well use it!

Jan 23, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Newbie1
I live in Winnipeg, did you think I was American?

I was addressing uncledan and davei there... sorry for any misunderstanding
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back