To Beyerdynamic/Senheiser Owners: A Simple Request
Feb 7, 2008 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

oshox

New Head-Fier
I've lost the screw-on 1/8"-1/4" for my Beyerdynamic DT-880 'phones, and I've been shopping around for a replacement. The only Beyer-made models are selling for $10 + shipping from Euro-shops. B&H is selling the one for Sennheisers for $3 (plus $5 shipping; LAME), and I was hoping someone who owns both types of cans would test the fit & sound. B&H lists the part as for the HD280P, but I doubt the adapter is MODEL specific.

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 10
The Sennheiser adapters I own are not screw on, AND they only work with the 580/600 cord, because the black plastic part of the 1/8th inch Sennplug slips down into the adapter. The AKG and Beyer adapters are interchangeable.

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 10
Nearly all threaded 1/4" adapters in use are functionally identical. The only difference I've found is that the Sony ones have green insulators instead of black.

So you can take one from a Sennheiser or Beyer or Sony or Audio-Technica and use it on any other brand.

Feb 7, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDeliveryMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get your spare parts fix here:

Retail 2002

...we carry something for nearly every headphone we've sold, with a few rare absences. I hope this helps!

He's looking for an adapter for his Beyer phones, not Senns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nearly all threaded 1/4" adapters in use are functionally identical. The only difference I've found is that the Sony ones have green insulators instead of black.

So you can take one from a Sennheiser or Beyer or Sony or Audio-Technica and use it on any other brand.

The Sennheiser adapter, at least the one that comes with 580s, does NOT work with the threaded 1/8 inch plugs that come with AKGs and Beyers. To make sure, I just tried it again. Generic adapters will work, but the Sennheiser adapter will not work. The reason is, as stated above, the Sennheiser adapter has a 1/2 inch recess that the threaded part of the 1/8 inch Beyer/AKG plugs wont fit in to.

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's looking for an adapter for his Beyer phones, not Senns.

The Sennheiser adapter, at least the one that comes with 580s, does NOT work with the threaded 1/8 inch plugs that come with AKGs and Beyers. To make sure, I just tried it again. Generic adapters will work, but the Sennheiser adapter will not work. The reason is, as stated above, the Sennheiser adapter has a 1/2 inch recess that the threaded part of the 1/8 inch Beyer/AKG plugs wont fit in to.

I'll have to review what documents i have, but i purchased a number of threaded adapters from sennheiser several months ago and have used them on . . . just about every brand i have that has threaded adapters.

I don't doubt that there could be some different 'phones out there, but i have yet to find the incompatible threaded adapter.

Edit: my email confirmation from sennheiser for that order does not include an itemization. I can tell you for sure that they're compatible with hd485 cables, and that I've threaded them onto dt250-80 and dt770-80, and ath-a900, and k401, and $diety knows what else.

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 10
Alright, this is apparently more complicated than I thought. I've never owned a pair of Senns, and I've never found a store in the Phoenix area that's carried them (I guess sheeple don't know what good sound is. On a side note, I would like to try some out, if only there were a decent retailer of audiophile stuff!!).

So, this is the adapter on B&H. It *looks* identical to the screw-on Sony adapter I borrowed from my father, which works great. I've found a couple of links for the AKG adapter, but they're all ~$15 after shipping. Does anyone have a link or an idea for a cheaper one from Beyer or AKG?

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 10
maybe its time to recable?
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #10 of 10
just pay the $10 bucks dude n be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back