To be honest, E4C or ER4P?????
May 21, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 15
yeah, thanks for getting my hopes up

i can do a comparison b/w the er6i's, but hopefully someone can do the er4's

May 21, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 15
I've had the ER4P for some time. I recieved my E4C's two days ago. I want to give the Shures some time for burn in to make it a fair comparison.

With that said, I can give you a few first impresions. The Shure's are a little heavier but for me are just as comfortable and provide good isolation. I'm using them rigt out of the box with the soft flex sleeves. I find these comfortable and provide a good seal. I like the bright red and blue colors of the Etys to signify right and left much better than the little red R and L on the Shures. It's a little thing that I didn't appreciate until it wasn't there.

After jsut a few hours of listening, I do not find the E4C's have the same dimensionality as the ER4P's The ER4P's give the music a bigger soundstage and smoother sound while the E4C's have a more two dimensional feel. I also find the high end on the Shure's to have a little harshness. The ER4P's are know for the clarity of highs and open sound. After listening to the E4C's I am again reminded of how special and unique these characteristics are. The Shure's have more base. It's there, it's smooth and not overwheling. It's funny though, when I go back to the Etys, I don't misss the extra bass. So far I don't find the E4C's to be a match the ER4P's.

These are just my initial impressions. I still want to give the Shure's some time for a fair burn in before making my final judgement.

May 21, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 15
interesting...

May 21, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by shineman
I've had the ER4P for some time. I recieved my E4C's two days ago. I want to give the Shures some time for burn in to make it a fair comparison.

With that said, I can give you a few first impresions. The Shure's are a little heavier but for me are just as comfortable and provide good isolation. I'm using them rigt out of the box with the soft flex sleeves. I find these comfortable and provide a good seal. I like the bright red and blue colors of the Etys to signify right and left much better than the little red R and L on the Shures. It's a little thing that I didn't appreciate until it wasn't there.

After jsut a few hours of listening, I do not find the E4C's have the same dimensionality as the ER4P's The ER4P's give the music a bigger soundstage and smoother sound while the E4C's have a more two dimensional feel. I also find the high end on the Shure's to have a little harshness. The ER4P's are know for the clarity of highs and open sound. After listening to the E4C's I am again reminded of how special and unique these characteristics are. The Shure's have more base. It's there, it's smooth and not overwheling. It's funny though, when I go back to the Etys, I don't misss the extra bass. So far I don't find the E4C's to be a match the ER4P's.

These are just my initial impressions. I still want to give the Shure's some time for a fair burn in before making my final judgement.

Just as the predictions before E4C's sale, Shure's products are always more expensive.....

May 21, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz
Shineman, what is your source?

I am using a 4G iPod without amp. I have also been using the phones plugged into my G5 iMac. The E4C's have less harshness using the iMac than when using the iPod.

May 21, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by shineman

i think you might need a little more time to burn in....when i first got my E4C out of the box and listened, my initial impressoin of the highs are rather too bright to the point of bein harsh...i can't turn up the volume to my normal listenin level due to the bright highs.... after two days of nonstop playin...the highs are more refined and def not bright and harsh as before....soundstage also open up and bass is more clear and refined with burn-in....i played the songs on my computer to burn them in...dammnn...these things have BASS which i never noticed as much with the ipod...

May 21, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagger333
i think you might need a little more time to burn in....when i first got my E4C out of the box and listened, my initial impressoin of the highs are rather too bright to the point of bein harsh...i can't turn up the volume to my normal listenin level due to the bright highs.... after two days of nonstop playin...the highs are more refined and def not as harsh and bright as before with more detail....soundstage also open up and bass is more clear and refined with burn-in

so,what's it like comparing 4P?

May 21, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by clackman
so,what's it like comparing 4P?

well the E4C's highs blew ER4P away...there's just no competition...
rolleyes.gif

hahah clackman i dunno how you got the impression i have the ety 4p...but i don't..that's why my post was completely on the E4C...and i was tellin shineman to burn in his E4C more cuz i do find a big difference with burn-in so far...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cresny
I can't give a direct comp right now because the Etys are still unpacked from a move. But the E4c does have detail that rivals the ER4s; it's just that the dynamics are different. The Etys were always too thin for me. So far I've listened to a wide range of music on the E4c and have been mostly very impressed, especially with vocals and guitar which are both reproduced with stunning detail (depending on recording quality of course). Lately I've been using full-sized cans so from those it took all little getting used to (I had forgotten the importance of "seal"), but now I'm doing what always is done with an excellent new pair of cans: rediscovering my music collection.

As for fit, it's still taking some experimentation, but it looks like the winner is from front looped behind the ears. The easiest secure fit for me is simply just stick-em in from front, but it only takes a little more effort to loop them over the ear for a flush fit, one you can even rest your head on. Also, these do not get inserted as far as the Etys.

So, if portability is a main concern then these may be for you. Other from-Ety opinions are sure to appear, but I for one can now say with certainty that I no longer have a need for my ER4s.

this is a comparison of E4C and ety er4 from the other E4C review thread...hope this helps some of yous

May 21, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagger333
well the E4C's highs blew ER4P away...there's just no competition...
rolleyes.gif

hahah clackman i dunno how you got the impression i have the ety 4p...but i don't..that's why my post was completely on the E4C...and i was tellin shineman to burn in his E4C more cuz i do find a big difference with burn-in so far...

this is a comparison of E4C and ety er4 from the other E4C review thread...hope this helps some of yous

haha,I thought ER4P had been owned by almost everyone here,as it's such a classic earphone...

May 21, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 15
While I have yet to review the Shure E4. I can share my feedback about the Etymotic Research ER4 series. Early on I struggled to enjoy the earphones because I found them to be quite insipid and inactive. I observed that the lexan plastic transducer housings had failed at three hundred hours of usage. The replacement units seem to be significantly better in terms of overall construction and performance. The earphones are more detailed than the original units and seem to be more consistent with the comments shared throughout headfi.com. I suspect that there is a variation between each product and I now feel that the ER4 is among the most detailed earphones available. Its presentation seems to be more complete than ever before and more than ever, I believe that the ER4 ranks highly among all of the head/earphones I have tested. I strongly recommend the ER4 series.

May 22, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDesign
While I have yet to review the Shure E4. I can share my feedback about the Etymotic Research ER4 series. Early on I struggled to enjoy the earphones because I found them to be quite insipid and inactive. I observed that the lexan plastic transducer housings had failed at three hundred hours of usage. The replacement units seem to be significantly better in terms of overall construction and performance. The earphones are more detailed than the original units and seem to be more consistent with the comments shared throughout headfi.com. I suspect that there is a variation between each product and I now feel that the ER4 is among the most detailed earphones available. Its presentation seems to be more complete than ever before and more than ever, I believe that the ER4 ranks highly among all of the head/earphones I have tested. I strongly recommend the ER4 series.

However,I think the tube of ER4 is prone to break,if u use it carelessly...

May 22, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #15 of 15
FWIW, I'm been an ER4p/s owner for the past 5 months. Ordered the Shures cause... well I don't find the Etys particularly thin, these are only used used in my work rig with EMU 0404 and eq'ed. They have bass. Dance music, jazz, soul, etc, is great, copious amounts of bass. Well produced music in general sounds great. Most rock though falls a bit flat. I can't put my finger on what it is, but it seems to lack impact. Also some things can sound a bit shrill, guess it's that upper mid spike... you know, what the Linkwitz filter and that ilk is supposed to fix.

I think if there's any criticism of these vs. the Etys it might be lack detail with the E4s. That's fine by me. I'll give up some detail if I can get more emotional involvement with that which is supposed to rock. But if air/space/dimensionality/soundstage is compromised by a too forward presentation (I'm reading into that a bit with some of the impressions posted), it will be a very tough call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back