To amp or not to amp?
Apr 11, 2009 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Adron

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm new here. I ordered some ultrasone pro550's the other night and now I am wondering if I will need to get an amplifier. I will be using them with my ipod. I am considering the Practical devices XM4 or the ibasso T4. I do tend to listen to my music loudly. So will I need an amplifier or not? Thanks. P.S I did do some searching and it did not seem like I would necessarily need one with these particular headphones but it also seemed like everything sounds much better with one.

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 9
You are right. 550s don't need an amp in general. An amp would improve the sound, but don't expect miracles straight out of the box. You'll start to appreciate after sometime unlike your headphones which would put a grin on your face right away on your first listen. And I think T4 is a good choice at it's price point.

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 9
amplifer will drive the pro 550 to loud levels.

Apr 13, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 9
In your case you don't need gain as such as your source can drive your headphones comfortably. What you need to look for is synergy and inherent detail improvement. Don't buy an amp just for the volume, there are more important things to look out for.

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 9
glad to help enjoy the ultrasone after couple 100 hours of burn-in :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back