to all you Canadians!
Aug 18, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #46 of 51
As well this is probably late, but I have to add my two cents, as I've enjoyed thoroughly living downtown Toronto this past year. I was in residence at U of T, at the corner of St. George and Bloor, right in the middle of the Annex and five minutes away from the ROM and Yorkville. Though I realize this is one of the more high-class areas in the city, I have never, ever felt unsafe in any parts of it at any point in my life. I've come from South Africa, one of the most dangerous countries, from Johannesburg, up there as one of the most dangerous cities in the world, and have cherised every moment walking alone on the streets of downtown Toronto in the early morning. Sure there are panhandlers (many of whom are unseen, though, in the winter due to the cold), and there are various unwelcome sights and smells (many junkies hanging out around Nathan Philips' Square), and sure, the fact I can't see any stars at night does bug me once in a while, but Ontario is a huge province, and Canada an enormous country, most of which is completely undisturbed and astonishingly beautiful.

I love Toronto, for its culture, its people, its myriad nationalities (and the welcome restaurants they open!), the wonderful music concerts and the excellent weather. I lived in the suburbs most of my teenage life, and still do during the summer, and really miss the hustle and bustle of the downtown core. There's just something intoxicating about people purposefully striding down the streets together, agreeing that they would rather be nowhere else. It's comforting to me.

Aug 18, 2004 at 9:48 AM Post #47 of 51
Toronto is big, much much bigger than Ottawa. Ottawa is nice and clean and has wonderful architecture, but I think that if you are staying there for an entire semester, it might get a little boring. Toronto is, yes, somewhat dirtier and more "american" (not an insult). Niagara is a neat place, but its a visit once and take some pictures place... you'll be bored of it by your 2nd time. There is nothing to do there. Just falling water and some grapes. Niagara is a 2 hour drive from Toronto. Toronto traffic is usually horrendous. Remember to factor that in for travel times.

Ottawa is 5 hours away from Toronto and 2 hours away from Montreal. There are trains that run between these cities all the time, the passes are heavily discounted if you have an ISIC (intenational student identity card). You can obtain a card in Australia for not much money usually at travel agencies.

Montreal is nearly as big as Toronto (in terms of people) but the center of town is somewhat more compact. It is a very cultural city, with french and english influences. IMO Quebec is the most "european" of all the regions of North America. Montreal is built somewhat as a replica of Paris, you will notice many of the same names, streets, layout. Montreal is very bilingual, if you speak only english or only french and you will do perfectly fine. There are 2 major universities in Montreal: Concordia and McGill. McGill is the better one
wink.gif
. Absolutely fabulous food in Montreal, no matter where you go. Cant really say the same for toronto. Where Toronto lacks in Beauty and "flavour", it makes up in wealth. Montreal in general, is quite a bit poorer than Toronto. Which results in cheaper everything. Living expenses are among the lowest.

Sep 1, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #48 of 51
Thanks for all the input guys!
The reason i have dug up this age old thread
eggosmile.gif
is because im tryin to see the accommodation options that are available for Toronto (Ryerson UnI). Does anyone know if Ryerson Uni have a place for people (more sepecifically, international students) to stay? If so, how much are we looking at spending (In canadian dollars is fine)?
Are there any other options available that would be close to Ryerson?

Thanks all head-fiers
smily_headphones1.gif

Simon.

Sep 1, 2004 at 10:17 AM Post #49 of 51
Ryerson did have (30 years ago at least) a large apartment building residence (It was called "Neil Wysac" (SP) or something like that) but I don't know if it's still there. EDIT: HERE is a link to Neil Wycik.

I assume you've checked THIS site out, but I see you have to be a registered student before they'll allow you to look at their off campus listings. There used to be places for rent posted on bulletin boards in the campus ( but they might be tough to read from Australia.
smily_headphones1.gif
) Perhaps if you contacted the school, they could help.

THIS site gives a good description of the various neighbourhoods in Toronto.

Sep 1, 2004 at 12:06 PM Post #50 of 51
Pretzel ... a good resource would be
http://www.torontostarclassifieds.co...SApp/index.jsp - Toronto Star classifieds , Rentals

http://www.mapquest.com/ - can use mapquest to find locations and distance to Ryerson [you can use address or postal code]

the earlier links to ryerson newspapers may provide info/contacts.

Toronto has an excellent transportation system.
Ryerson is right on the subway line [5 min walk].

http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/ - Toronto Transit
http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/schedules/index.htm - Toronto Transit maps/schedules

Users who are viewing this thread

Back