to all you Canadians!
Aug 5, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzel
i want to go to Toronto because Adelaide is one of the more quieter and smaller cities of Australia, and i kinda have the perception that Ottawa will be similar. I want to experience something different. But im a little afraid Toronto will be a little too overwhelming. And the talks about toronto being dirty...would it just be the same as if i go to New York or Las Angeles?

Toronto overwhelming? Definitely not. In fact, I can't think of a better "big city" to start in than Toronto. It's quite big, but not outrageously ginormous. The people are incredibly friendly, especially compared to New York. It's expensive but it's not anywhere near as much as Manhattan, or even San Francisco. There are oodles of things to do and places to go and people to see. New York would probably be overwhelming at first because it's so incredibly enormous and fast-paced. Toronto is similar to New York, but more personable. Of course, NYC is incomparable... and you should visit it (if not live there) at least once in your life.

Yes, all big cities are dirty. It's not very dirty. There are wads of gum and cigarette butts on the streets and occasionally some graffiti on the walls and the apartment building/dorm you'll be living in probably won't be brand-new. But that's part of the charm. A clean city is a lifeless city. (Look at Singapore for instance.
blink.gif
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzel
How far is naragra falls from Toronto? Thats one place i wouldn't mind going to
580smile.gif

Montreal is a french speaking city isn't it?

Niagara Falls is about two hours away from Toronto. Generally speaking it's a place you'll want to visit and enjoy once, and then stay far away from. It's an absolute tourist trap -- kind of like Las Vegas without all the lascivious glitz that makes Las Vegas so fascinating.

Montreal is indeed a French-speaking city (technically it's bilingual -- but from what I've heard, you're SOL if you only speak English. Maybe I'm wrong). Of course, I've also heard that Montreal has some of the best strippers in the world. Interesting fact.

- Chris

Aug 5, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #32 of 51
I think Toronto would be your best choice.

You'll get a kick out of all the cultures you'll see here compared to Adelaide. I remember returning from my year in Oz and noticing it for the first time.

Another reason you might want to consider Toronto is its proximity to other places you might want to visit. Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, New York, they're all great cities and all within 8-10 hours of Toronto. Montreal is 5 hours away and you'd probably enjoy spending some time in Quebec.

Good luck with wherever you choose and look us up when you get here!

Aug 5, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #33 of 51
I've attended both Ryerson and U of T ( although 30 years ago ) and have lived in and around Toronto my entire 50 years. I agree with eyeteeth and minya's descriptions. I've seen Toronto change from a predominantly prim and proper, neat and tidy, rather boring British colonial city to a true cosmopolitan city. I just read our school system now contains a diversity of students who between them speak 127 different languages at home.

Toronto's not nearly as clean as it was once famous for, and the aging buildings, increased street crime, and growing number of homeless living in the city's core gives it a much more New York feel than any of the North American west coast cities. But as has been mentioned, this is common to most older large cities.

But there is plenty to do and see and there are plenty of nice areas to hang out in as well. The diversity of recent immigrants has given us neighbourhoods with much character and a huge selection of entertainment, restaurants and cafe's of all types. As mentioned, Niagara Falls is worth seeing once and 2 or 3 hours drive north gets you into our recreation areas where you can experience the forests, lakes and wildlife Canada is famous for.

Don't worry too much about winter, it sucks for the most part, but when you are dressed properly it can be a lot of fun experiencing snow. I think you'd enjoy it here. (But plan on making a trip to Montreal , to experience the Francophone influence in Canada as well.)

Aug 5, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
I've attended both Ryerson and U of T ( although 30 years ago ) and have lived in and around Toronto my entire 50 years. I agree with eyeteeth and minya's descriptions. I've seen Toronto change from a predominantly prim and proper, neat and tidy, rather boring British colonial city to a true cosmopolitan city. I just read our school system now contains a diversity of students who between them speak 127 different languages at home.

[sarcasm]but how is this possible with Toronto having no culture?[/sarcasm]

sorry trevor... I just can't get over that
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
[sarcasm]but how is this possible with Toronto having no culture?[/sarcasm]

sorry trevor... I just can't get over that
biggrin.gif

I suspect he's been sampling a bit too much of BC's finest herb.
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #36 of 51
my girlfriend is from vancouver and goes on about how much cleaner vancouver is but how vancouver doesn't have all the cool, funky ethnic neighbourhoods and districts that Toronto does.

listen, you're going to be away from Australia for one year, go for the experience that will be different than what you have at home. experience our winter, it'll be easy to do if you know it's just for one year.

while i was in oz i kept wishing for 40+ celsius temperatures and all kinds of extreme weather becuase i knew i'd be leaving!

Aug 6, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I dare say you're too delicate Wodgy.
The uniform exchange between the panhandler who is seated non-threateningly 99% of the time and the declining passerby:
Panhandler:"spare some change sir?"
Passerby:silence
Panhandler:"thank you" sometimes "have a nice day" without sarcasm.
Real threatening
rolleyes.gif

I can tell your job doesn't require you to be walking alone to the subway station past 10pm at night. Yes, Toronto's panhandlers are largely harmless, but there were two instances over the eight month period where I was seriously threatened by a panhandler, including one where I had to grab a frying pan out of the dude's hand as he was swinging it at me. (I'm not making that up; it's not some lame attempt at humor by connecting the word "panhandler" with "frying pan".)

The panhandling situation seems to me to be worse in Toronto than Chicago or even Manhattan because the panhandlers are simply more aggressive. IMHO, there are too many bleeding heart liberals (to borrow Pierre Trudeau's phrase) in Canada who insist that nothing be done about these people, that somehow they have a "right" to be on the street bothering and threatening people. We had people making the same arguments here in Seattle in the mid-90s, but sense won out and the police were granted powers to haul away people who 1) squat on public property or 2) solicit for money. Result: virtually no panhandling even in the downtown core. It seemed to me that Toronto was falling apart because no one had the balls to start behaving like a real city and make realistic choices. Contrast NYC in the early '80s with NYC today. A night and day difference. Toronto seems to still be in the "early '80s" phase.

Edit: Is there still a problem with "squeegy kids" in Toronto? Or have they gotten around to fixing that yet?

Aug 6, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Edit: Is there still a problem with "squeegy kids" in Toronto? Or have they gotten around to fixing that yet?

They've been...terminated. Over the last few years there's been a crackdown on squeegy kids, aggressive panhandlers, & homeless people camping on city property. A lot of work still remains to be done and there's still shady areas I wouldn't go at night but things have gotten better.

Aug 6, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

....I was seriously threatened by a panhandler, including one where I had to grab a frying pan out of the dude's hand as he was swinging it at me. (I'm not making that up; it's not some lame attempt at humor by connecting the word "panhandler" with "frying pan".)

How do you think they got the name?
smily_headphones1.gif

J/K ... although I'm sure it wasn't funny for you, the vision of a panhandler swinging a pan at someone is sort of funny.

Aug 6, 2004 at 9:03 AM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
I can tell your job doesn't require you to be walking alone to the subway station past 10pm at night.

Yes, Toronto's panhandlers are largely harmless, but there were two instances over the eight month period where I was seriously threatened by a panhandler,

I've done the evening shift 3-11PM and walked home alone to and from subway for two years. Now day shift to the subway 5:15AM. I'm certainly aware of my environment but feel relatively safe. I've thought that were I to actually feel threatened, I'd pay the bum. But it hasn't happened yet.

Your two incidents are bizarre. Had the media caught wind of it you'd have been headline news. JoJo Chintoh all over yer *****
biggrin.gif
(citytv)

5:03AM-time to go...I think I'll bring a spatula with me just in case I need to defend myself in a duel
wink.gif

14-spatula.jpg

EDIT 6:27AM: I've arrived alive. No encounters with unsavory chefs.
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2004 at 9:09 AM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Ottawa is boring.
It's a big suburb with lots of governmental buildings in the centre, but it is beautiful.

That is called "CANBERRA" in Australia.
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #44 of 51
canberra is NOT the same as Ottawa.

don't be scared. Canberra is hell. It's got to be the most boring national capital on the planet.

Ottawa is much prettier and has much more to do.

Aug 17, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #45 of 51
It's a little late...but eyeteeth, that's one of the funniest posts I've ever read. It's a good thing there aren't may co-workers left in the office
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back