to all you Canadians!
Aug 4, 2004 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

pretzel

Head-Fier
I am currently in Australia studying in University. I am having serious thoughts on studying overseas for one semester (probably staying around 5 months). Im interested in going to Canada
smily_headphones1.gif

i'm having a look at a university in Ottawa and Toronto, but dont know which to choose. Is Ottawa a really nice place to stay for a holiday? Is there lots of things to do and see? Would you recommend Toronto to be the better destination?
I am assuming that I would have a greater time in Toronto (5 million people as opposed to Ottawas 1.5 M?), but is Ottawa still fun?

Any feedback would be GREAT!!

Regards,
SImon.

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 51
Ottawa is fun for a holiday. I've been there about 4 times over the last few years. There is alot to see if you want to learn about Canada's history. And there's also the Parlament buildings. and much more.

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 51
Aug 4, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 51
Ottawa is a nicer place than Toronto, it's smaller but a lot more scenic in my opinion, and there's just as many attractions and places to visit there as in Toronto. Of particular interest is the Royal Canadian Mint in Ottawa where you can watch them stamp out silver & gold coins. But, if all you want to do is hit night clubs & party then Toronto is the better choice by far, it all depends on your priorities.

University-wise, you want to apply to the University of Ottawa which is right downtown and within walking distance of all the fun stuff, you DON'T want to go to Carleton U which is in the middle of a farm field way out in the boonies. U of O has a lot of international students, and it's also a smaller campus than the university of Toronto so it's a lot easier to get around and you get to meet & know the other people better. U of T has something like 50,000 students on campus while Ottawa has about 1/3 of that.

I went to the University of Ottawa for 2 years before running out of money and transfering back home, so if you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 51
studying bachelor of commerce/Management Information Systems (double degree).

My university has partners with Ryerson Uni (toronto) and Carleton Uni (ottawa) so it's one of those two.

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 51
aerius said:
University-wise, you want to apply to the University of Ottawa which is right downtown and within walking distance of all the fun stuff, you DON'T want to go to Carleton U which is in the middle of a farm field way out in the boonies. QUOTE]

EEEPPP!!!

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 51
Ottawa is boring.
It's a big suburb with lots of governmental buildings in the centre, but it is beautiful.
Toronto is cosmopolitan.
Not as naturally beautiful but lots more to do. Diversity.

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzel
studying bachelor of commerce/Management Information Systems (double degree).

My university has partners with Ryerson Uni (toronto) and Carleton Uni (ottawa) so it's one of those two.

Given a choice between Carleton & Ryerson, I'd take Ryerson every time. Ryerson's right downtown and it's a much better size than the university of Toronto, though the buildings are more modern and don't look nearly as nice as the U of T ones. Fun fact about Ryerson, there's at least 5 adult stores and nudie bars within 5 minutes of the campus.

Aug 4, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 51
if I ever move back to BC its the Queen Charlotte Islands all the way... too busy in Vancouver
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
Come to Vancouver. It is much nicer (In pretty much all ways) than both Ottawa, and Toronto. We have great Universities as well.

Just because UBC has a nudie beach behind it doesn't make it nicer.
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #13 of 51
One more vote for Ryerson University. Lots and lots of fun stuff around
wink.gif
. Your 5 months will pass by so fast before you even notice it. I'm coming back to Ryerson for my last year, so if you need any help getting around, give me a shout.

Aug 5, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #14 of 51
Ryerson is awesome... I'll be back in the fall
biggrin.gif

All of Canada's major cities have their own unique charm: Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver... (haven't been to Calgary, etc. so don't be offended) but Toronto is the biggest and 1st destination for most immigrants, so it's more of an international city.

We love visitors!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back