To all those who own EX70/71s
Aug 13, 2003 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JF_Aidan_Pryde

New Head-Fier
For the love of God - mod them!
I'm not asking for much, just take a tiny piece of bluetak and fill the 3 holes at the back of each bud.

I bought a new pair of white EX71s to match my ipod today and gosh they sounded horrible and bloated. I came home and gave them the bluetak treatment - a totally new experience.

It takes 3 minutes.
It makes them sounds miles better.
Go ahead and do it - you have nothing to lose!

If you have more time, try redshifter's more comprehensive silvermod.

Aug 13, 2003 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 13
What's a silvermod?
confused.gif

Aug 13, 2003 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 13
I covered mine with clear tape a while ago and I enjoy them a lot now. It's noisy outside in the city so I can't really make use of better quality.

Aug 13, 2003 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 13
I feel so proud that I was one of the first people to try this mod
biggrin.gif

Thanks for bringing it back to the fore JF_Aidan_Pryde
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2003 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 13
Even normal transparent celophane tape will do it. I think most of the EX70 wearers I see out there are more concerned with their outward appearance rather than tonal experience though
rolleyes.gif

Aug 13, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 13
Instead of obstructing the 3 holes on the side, an easier mod is to just use the silicone tips from the Shure e2c in place of the sony provided ones.

I feel that the bloated bass and harsh highs are a result of the of the provided eartips being too soft and not providing an adequate seal.

Plus you get the extra benefit of the earpieces not falling out so easy and thus, deal with two problems at one time.

Results do vary and sometimes other mods are performed in tandem such as removing the plastic cover over the transducer tube, perforating it, etc.

Aug 14, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by hawkfire
Instead of obstructing the 3 holes on the side, an easier mod is to just use the silicone tips from the Shure e2c in place of the sony provided ones.

I feel that the bloated bass and harsh highs are a result of the of the provided eartips being too soft and not providing an adequate seal.

Plus you get the extra benefit of the earpieces not falling out so easy and thus, deal with two problems at one time.

Results do vary and sometimes other mods are performed in tandem such as removing the plastic cover over the transducer tube, perforating it, etc.

hawkfire: interested to know if...

1. you've got the shure e2 and ex70 or 71 and could either post, pm me, or email me differences & pros/cons between the two. i own ex70 and 71, and definitely prefer the ex71 for the improvements sony made over the ex70. but...there is still the problem of tightening up the bass a bit more.

2. which size ex70/71 gaskets do you use? which size shure e2c gaskets do you use? i use medium ex70/71 gaskets and am wondering which size shure e2c gaskets correspond to that.

3. the shure e2c gaskets make a tight fit with the ex70/71 tube?

thanks!
nikolaus

Aug 20, 2003 at 12:20 PM Post #12 of 13
I don't own the 71s. Just the 70s although I have tried the 71s.

And yes, I do own the Shure E2c.

I use the medium sized eartips on the ex-70, but they are just too damned soft for my liking even though they are confortable as hell.

I use the small silicone eartips on the shure e2c and the medium sized silicone gaskets from the e2c on the ex70s to mod them since they dont fit the same way the e2cs fit.

The tube on the ex-70s are a tad larger than the e2cs and make the e2c eartips fit snugly on the tubes.

like I said, I like using em this way as it does tighten the bass and gives a way better seal than the soft silicone tips provided with the sony, but it is my preference and results will vary on what kind of sound you prefer.

Aug 20, 2003 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 13
I've seen silicon-flange earplugs in the drugstore. They have open tubes like the Ety/Shure eartips(they're desgined to equalize ear pressure on airplanes). Do you think they might work with the EX70?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back