to all DIY builder people
Oct 16, 2002 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
This goes out to antness, eric343, JMT, KurtW, Tangent and anyone else doing this sort of thing:

I noticed today that Tangent updated his mall-fi ad. Last I heard, Tangent was backlogged and not taking new orders. Therein lies the problem, I never really have any idea how backlogged you guys are. Maybe Tangent is taking orders again--maybe I should just check his web page instead of posting this. But it's not just Tangent, it's the rest of you guys too. Eric343 took time off for school. I'm not even sure what Kurt's up to. JMT is like a factory--I'm not sure he has down time.

Anyway, the point is--we need some kind of solution to knowing what all you guys are offering (which designs) and whether you're taking orders and about how long it'd be before you got to a new order. Someone neutral could run a web site or at least someone not in the business on Head-Fi could get email updates from you guys or something. You tell me. What's a good way to keep us informed without breaking Head-Fi's ad policy?

Oct 16, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 13
I would also be interested in such a solution that kelly is proposing.

Oct 16, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 13
Jude
If it came across that way, this post was not intended as a criticism of Head-Fi or policy (or anyone else actually).

The problem arises when people ask, "Where is the best place to get..." and our answers are convoluted by not knowing who is busy, who has free time, who has new boards for whatever new design, etc. I'm looking for something more proactive than telling a poor newbie to PM four or five people and ask. I can put information on my homepage if needed but wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas first.

Oct 16, 2002 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Jude
If it came across that way, this post was not intended as a criticism of Head-Fi or policy (or anyone else actually)....

Honestly, I didn't interpret it that way. I was serious about the fact that we're working on some ideas to make this work. Really.

Oct 16, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 13
All though the idea is good, I'm not sure how this would work. Especially on head-fi, with our recent discussion about advertising, etc.

If there was a way, I think it would have to be on a private website, where tangent, eric, jmt, antness, fixup, etc, would be able to send regular updates. I think I might be able to put something like this together. . . or, if you want, kelly, you could do it. . . .

Oct 16, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
All though the idea is good, I'm not sure how this would work. Especially on head-fi, with our recent discussion about advertising, etc.

If there was a way, I think it would have to be on a private website, where tangent, eric, jmt, antness, fixup, etc, would be able to send regular updates. I think I might be able to put something like this together. . . or, if you want, kelly, you could do it. . . .

This is, essentially, my default suggestion.

Oct 16, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 13
The initial idea we're kicking around (mostly, I've been discussing this with antness so far) is a possible Sponsor Forum, sponsored by a group of DIY'er-turned-sellers. This would allow discussions with virtually no restrictions, as HeadRoom's forum does for HeadRoom. I've not discussed this yet with the possible target sponsors, but will do so soon. There are still some basic issues to work out, like the defintions of who'd be eligible among other things.

Whether it's a separate web site independent of Head-Fi, and/or a group Sponsor Forum here, I don't think a solution is far away.

Oct 16, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
This is, essentially, my default suggestion.

sorry, kelly, my initial post didn't was pretty unclear. I meant that you could do it or I could. Again, I apoligize for being unclear, and I see that it may have appeared that I was stealing your idea. . .

Oct 16, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
sorry, kelly, my initial post didn't was pretty unclear. I meant that you could do it or I could. Again, I apoligize for being unclear, and I see that it may have appeared that I was stealing your idea. . .

It's ok--I only get royalties for baiting certain Head-Fi members, apparently. All other ideas are up for grabs.

The sponsored forum idea is interesting. I suppose a mod could simply edit a Sticky post in there with the basics of who is taking orders and whatnot if that comes to fruition.

Oct 16, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 13
Question about the sponsor forums: Obviously, the amp makers would have to pay for the forum, right? So would they all pitch in to have one forum? If one chooses not to pitch in, will discussion of their amps be prohibited?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back