To All Chinese Music Lover,
Mar 2, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #16 of 36
I haven't listen to cantopop in a long time. I don't really like Mandopop either but never really listened to those who seem to have credibility (like David Tao) properly. Anyhow I think the tomboy in SHE is cute, they music is not
tongue.gif

How are things going?

I don't see Sammi or the 3 heavenly kings milking out albums. I remember a time when most HK singers would produce like 2 albums a month
basshead.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
There are many "manufactured" Taiwan singers, too. The one I dislike most is Jolin Tsai. I feel a bit ill already typing her name.

Due to the large number of future potential singers from China, I think there's hope for quality Chinese-language singers. The problem will still be the lack of creative songwriters.

There are many gazillion of audiophile vocal cds from China or more specifically Guang Zhou (I think). I have one of them and really like it but alot of times its just the norm classics and no original stuff
frown.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #18 of 36
Hong Kong has a fairly skewed idea of what an "singer" really is. To be popular in Hong Kong you need to be a singer, actor, and dancer all at the same time. If you release a cd in Hong Kong it's only a matter of time before someone expects you to star in a movie, then after that you're expected to throw some huge concert with a hundred daners and lots of pretty costumes.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
Lip-syncing is now explicitly forbidden in TVB music shows; those fortunate enough to sit through one of these shows will now have an unforgettable evening of atonal music, asthmatic attacks, and feigned tears.

Even more disturbing is the rise of singer-songwriter upstarts. This gang consists of youngish people newly returned to HK, unable to find a job, but somehow has a relative with the right "connection". What is so disturbing about this gang is that they are always marketed as "talented", "with a vision", "technically assured" -- even if they can't sing to save their lives. Sad but true: they are going to be the rickety yardsticks by which a new generation of audience judge music.

I remember the Chinese central government passing a law last September banning lip-syncing. I am not sure if that's strictly enforced though.

You scared me with the singer-songwriter comments. I guess I am old-school since I still connect that term to people like Sam Hui, Danny Chan and Terrence Choi.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
Hong Kong has a fairly skewed idea of what an "singer" really is. To be popular in Hong Kong you need to be a singer, actor, and dancer all at the same time. If you release a cd in Hong Kong it's only a matter of time before someone expects you to star in a movie, then after that you're expected to throw some huge concert with a hundred daners and lots of pretty costumes.

That's mainly the audience's fault....you want crap, you'll get crap. The "singer" is marketed by his/her/their management to all media, unlike here in the US. So, in order to be in the news all the time, the "singer" need to be in movies, TV shows, commercials/ads, public appearances at events, etc.

Then the typical audience buys into the hype. In HK, it's fashionable to be "in"....there's a certain amount of "pact mentality" there. So everyone goes to the concerts, buy the CDs (or buy the pirated CDs), watched their movies, etc. When the freshness of these manufactured "singers" fade, a new batch will be waiting in the wings.

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
I believe these are what mysticaldodo is talking about.

(Click to view)

I wonder if I should be worried that I actually own just about every single CD in that picture.
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
There are many gazillion of audiophile vocal cds from China or more specifically Guang Zhou (I think). I have one of them and really like it but alot of times its just the norm classics and no original stuff
frown.gif

Yeah, I've learnt to scrutinise the track listings on the CDs before thinking about buying them. Still, you can find some very interesting titles from time to time. There's an interesting couple of CDs from this chinese singer who shaves her head bald. She does covers of songs by Beyond.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by av98m2
I wonder if I should be worried that I actually own just about every single CD in that picture.
tongue.gif

I actually have a cd (actually my mom) from the pic

Second from the right, middle row. I think she sucks (boring) and so does the arrangement
tongue.gif
My mom says she's suppose to be the new Theresa Teng (no idea where she heard that from
rolleyes.gif
).

Hi, AV98M2

Any more suggestions?

Can u post a pic of the bald lady?

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #26 of 36
I like these 2 best (but haven't listened to much though) and sold off those I didn't like particularly the boring jazz flavoured remakes.

Scan10001.jpg

Her voice isn't especially impressive (her singing is too breathy) but the songs and bittersweet arrangements are nice

Scan1.jpg

I love her voice and the songs. There are some mando crap in here though but this album is more accessible compared to her prev albums. My chinese is no good so I'm not sure of the songs origins.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #27 of 36
If mainland Chinese singers continues to exploit the pseudo-jazz/lounge music niche, the market will collapse in no time. Ditto to Taiwanese singers who squeeze the last drop of life out of R&B/hip-hop.

A mainland singer I like a lot is Ding Wei (丁薇). Although she has yet to find her own style, at least she is trying to do something original, instead of joining the banal lovelorn "singer-songwriter" guild (I'm thinking "老鼠愛大米" here) or slumping into the lounge-lizard bandwagon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
You scared me with the singer-songwriter comments. I guess I am old-school since I still connect that term to people like Sam Hui, Danny Chan and Terrence Choi.

There is something profoundly wrong with the current batch of "singer-songwriters" in HK. Not only that they (mostly) cannot sing, not only that their music are styleless derivatives (they all quote R&B as their influence) indistinguishable from so-called "idol singers". It is the fact that their marketing crew has been busy creating a "personality sect" around each.

A certain upstart (who will remain unnamed) has apparently been instructed to keep up with the facade of a rejected, dejected, persecuted weakling. This image turned out to be unaccountably attractive to adult females and juveniles of both sexes.

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
There is something profoundly wrong with the current batch of "singer-songwriters" in HK. Not only that they (mostly) cannot sing, not only that their music are styleless derivatives (they all quote R&B as their influence) indistinguishable from so-called "idol singers". It is the fact that their marketing crew has been busy creating a "personality sect" around each.

So sad, but true. I'm disgusted when a singer comes out a proposes that they write their own music, therefore they must be real "artists". Except the fact that their music and lyrics are so commerical, formulated, unoriginal and probably written by someone else in the background.
mad.gif

I miss the days of Beyond and Sam Hui and even Leslie Cheung and Anita Mui. These guys had real class, originality, talent and guts. They weren't just marketing figures. And yes, I notice how old this must make me seem.
icon10.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #29 of 36
Yeap, Anita has alot of personality and a unique and gorgeous voice. She's the only HK singer that I really like other then Faye Wong (I know shes not from HK
tongue.gif
but she did start out there)

I have Ding Wei's first album too but never knew what happened to her.

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #30 of 36
I can't stand Faye Wong's voice, I understand that's really an aquired taste. But I will admit that she is a real "artist" as far as Hong Kong goes. She has original songs and she is willing to go against the norm.

Oh, forgot to address the Taiwaness music scene. I will admit that when Jay Chou first came out it was original as far as Chinese music went. He did something different and though I couldn't understand what he was singing half the time
tongue.gif
and he does NOT have a good voice, I give him props for at least trying. Then suddenly everyone from Taiwan wanted to be a RnB/Rap "artist." Totally boring and for the most part untalented. David Tao is average at best, I don't care for his voice and his music is overly repetitive and simple. Leehom Wong is seriously wasted. He seems talented and has a good voice but he fell into "I want to be a Chinese rap star" trap.
mad.gif

Though I am tempted to check out some of the China artists. This seems to be the only Chinese music industry I haven't tried yet, and thus most of my hope lies therein.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back