TNT Audio Shootout: HD650 vs HD497 vs RS1 vs DT990
Feb 10, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 12
Seems to me that Practical Devices XM3 is the limiting factor here.
If you limit the performance of all phones to the max of the lowest performer they will end up performing equally well/bad.
plainface.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems to me that Practical Devices XM3 is the limiting factor here.
If you limit the performance of all phones to the max of the lowest performer they will end up performing equally well/bad.
plainface.gif

Yes, that was kind of a red flag for me also. I was surprised he didn't at least have a decent desk-top amp on hand.

Feb 12, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 12
Anyone dropped him already an email? They really like feedback!

I visit the website weekly, I forgot it this weekend and checked it today... when I read this review, I came here to post about it... but used first the search function. You are fast!

Anyway, I bet he will try again with a better amp if we suggest it, and then add further impressions to the review.

But I have to say I don't find his conclusions to be wrong. I have only heard the HD650 (which I own), but the descriptions seem to fit what I read here in the forums...

Feb 13, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 12
while the amp and source were limiting factors in the performance... the overall conclusions were somewhat correct.

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
while the amp and source were limiting factors in the performance... the overall conclusions were somewhat correct.

I concur - for the most part, the man is on the money. I am pretty sure he was using the stock bowls on the RS-1's, and maybe flats would have changed his perception. I have also noticed TNT usually is pretty good about their reviews, very simply, straightforward, and to the point. Most importantly, very easy to understand

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 12
I'm sorry, but to me it's all a matter of taste. I don't think anyone is ever wrong with his/her most pleasantly sounding phones.

I like the sound of my beyers while someone else prefers Ultrasones
icon10.gif
and another Senheisers. Great!
The world would be so grey if all people liked the same things.
Besides that, what's better then hearing someone else's gear and realizing you like your own gear the best?

I know, it might sound a bit lame but I really think it's true whenever someone says: whatever rocks your boat (with your favorite music).

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 12
A few things in there don't add up.

He found the Senn and Grado to be equal in bass extension.
graphCompare.php

He found the Senn to be superior to the Beyer in treble extension.
graphCompare.php

and If I read correctly he said the HD497 occassionally was more detailed than the HD650?
plainface.gif
Can I get a lol?

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So there's no point to reviews?

Sure there is! For me reviews make me curious to go out and listen for myself if I could agree with the reviewer.

Quote:

That leaves me without a satisfying reference headphone, I suppose I'll continue to use the Sennheiser HD497 for now. I cannot justify spending the additional money for any of the other units, given their respective performances as noted above.

Like I said earlier, it's so personal. For me 'reference' is something you really like and to compare the others to. Like, for me, my DT990's are my reference headphones and might not be the reference for someone else. I'm fine with that.

Feb 13, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 12
im sure the beyers were underpowered, and ive used the hd497s extensively, they don't even come close to the dt990 so i'm pretty sure they won't match the hd650s in any way either.

both the hd650s and dt990s were limited by his equipment. im not sure about the rs1, haven't had any experience with grados but i'm sure they would have benefited atleast somewhat by better equipment. hd497s stop sounding better after a certain point, the 990s have sounded better to me everytime i improved my source/amp/quality of material being played.

directly out of my soundcard at default settings and low quality receivers i thought the 990s sounded thin (needless to say that's been remedied now
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back