TN - Center Hill Lake: Whiskey-Fi / Head-Fi Meet: March 16, 2024

Do you plan on attending?

• Total voters
Jan 8, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #31 of 68
Justin here with Alclair Audio. I plan on coming and bringing some high end IEMs. BA drivers, some electrostats.
Excellent. I have the Studio 4s and interested in the newer models.

Jan 10, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #32 of 68
I'm not sure if I'll be in the area in March, but if I am, i can bring:

Cans:
Grado HP-2 (unless I sell them)
Stax Omega II mk1
Beyerdynamic T90
Etymotic er4s

DACS:
Exemplar Audio modified es9038pro DAC (his current top-of-the-line offering w/ outboard PS and custom tube output stage)
AQ Dragonfly Cobalt (es9038q2m based, which is the 2 channel version of the es9038pro)
Exemplar Audio modified Sonica (unless I sell it)
Exemplar Audio XD-1 (already listed, so hopefully will already be sold by then)

Amps:
Exemplar Audio eXception headphone amp
Headamp Blue Hawaii (unless I sell it) (the original version, not the SE)
Exemplar Audio custom electrostatic headphone amp (if John finishes it in time)
Exemplar Audio custom headphone amp (if John finishes it in time)

Cables:
Exemplar Audio interconnects and powercords

Lastly, I've been driving my new DAC w/ a raspberry pi 5 via USB thanks to its amanero board, but John built me a 5v5a linear power supply for it that makes a huge difference. I'll bring that as well, but I won't be able to drive the XD-1 with it since that only has spdif and toslink inputs.

If I come, I'll try to get John Tucker (of Exemplar Audio) to come with me since he lives in Cookeville and is why I might be in the area in March.

If he comes, is there any sort of MoT registration he'd need to complete first? We definitely don't want to run afoul of any Head-Fi rules regarding members of the trade.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #33 of 68
Oh! What kind of pizza oven do you have? I make an excellent pizza dough (even though I say so myself) that's a 70% hydration version of the Tartine Sourdough loaf recipe. I can bring a batch (6 balls at about 320g each) if you'd like.

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #34 of 68
...If I come, I'll try to get John Tucker (of Exemplar Audio) to come with me since he lives in Cookeville and is why I might be in the area in March.

If he comes, is there any sort of MoT registration he'd need to complete first? We definitely don't want to run afoul of any Head-Fi rules regarding members of the trade.

Great, Cookeville is the closest "Big" city to here, only 25-30 mins away. I don't have any MoT rules/registration.

I haven't heard any Exemplar equipment yet, it would be great to hear them.

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #35 of 68
Oh! What kind of pizza oven do you have? I make an excellent pizza dough (even though I say so myself) that's a 70% hydration version of the Tartine Sourdough loaf recipe. I can bring a batch (6 balls at about 320g each) if you'd like.
I would love a batch. I worked on some sourdough breads several years ago, then I kind of gave up.

My usual is a fairly classic dough, 4cups flour, 1.33cups water, ~1.5tbs salt, yeast. I cook on 16" square steel, usually in my house oven (essentially all this oven is ever used for). I have cooked on the smoker before, though at the higher temps (425 seems ideal for my medium thick dough), there is very little smoke flavor.

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #36 of 68
Sounds good. I've been buying Exemplar gear for close to 20 years now, starting w/ a modified $2500 Denon 2900 that replaced a $5000 Electrocompaniet EMC1UP.

I've also got his single ended pre-amp, some custom 300b amps, and his gigantic horn speakers, but I won't be bringing those lol.

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #37 of 68
Oh, and I'm happy to show you how I make the dough. I'll bring some extra starter for you to keep.

In a standard oven I may dial the hydration back a little though. I've been wanting to master a good bar pie. Lately, I've been trying to figure out detroit style and still working out the kinks

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #38 of 68
Oh, and I'm happy to show you how I make the dough. I'll bring some extra starter for you to keep.

In a standard oven I may dial the hydration back a little though. I've been wanting to master a good bar pie. Lately, I've been trying to figure out detroit style and still working out the kinks
I'm happy for the offer. You are making me want to explore more with cooking pizza.

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #39 of 68
I went crazy w/ pizza for a while. During covid, I ate it probably 4x a week. I've got a blackstone pizza oven and an ooni koda 16"

The blackstone was only $300 when I bought it, but they discontinued it and then recently relaunched it but now it's $800. The only difference is that it's not as ugly as it used to be but the functionality is essentially identical.

I'd still recommend it over the $600 ooni koda 16 though.

the blackstone has a rotisserie motor that spins the stone, so you don't need to turn the pizza after launching it. This means you can get away with using a much weaker dough w/o fear of tearing your pizza halfway through the baking process.

Also, the heat element is *under* the stone, which makes a huge difference. With the ooni (and virtually every other pizza oven), the only source of heat is above the stone, so once you launch your pizza, the part of the stone that it's sitting on doesn't get any heat because the pizza is blocking it. With the blackstone, you can launch the pie at any stone temp you want and be assured that the stone temp will stay stable throughout the entire bake. This enables baking at lower temps, which I prefer. The ooni excels at high temp Neapolitan style pizzas, but struggles w/ anything else. The blackstone can do Neapolitan just as well as the ooni, but can also do NY style, or New Haven style, which is my favorite.

https://blackstoneproducts.com/products/blackstone-pizza-oven

Jan 13, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #40 of 68
Getting so hungry reading through, and I wish I could join again...
@kilkil you are such a great host, and I am still hoping to visit one of your future meetups again :pray:

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #41 of 68
I am new to this area and am def interested in attending this meeting. Mostly interested in meeting some new people, seeing new and different gear and learning and catching up with what is new in audio and headphones in general.

Would probably bring my record player and some headphones along with some house warming gifts.

Headphones would include HD800, LCD3 (prefazor), Stax 007. And maybe HE6 4screwEP assuming I can get the original or the new earpads back on them.

Don’t really have any digital sources that travel (would love to learn more about that) but anyone that wants to can plug their source into my stuff.

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #42 of 68
Getting so hungry reading through, and I wish I could join again...
@kilkil you are such a great host, and I am still hoping to visit one of your future meetups again :pray:
I loved having you. It would be great to see you again, maybe next year?

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #43 of 68
I am new to this area and am def interested in attending this meeting. Mostly interested in meeting some new people, seeing new and different gear and learning and catching up with what is new in audio and headphones in general.

Would probably bring my record player and some headphones along with some house warming gifts.

Headphones would include HD800, LCD3 (prefazor), Stax 007. And maybe HE6 4screwEP assuming I can get the original or the new earpads back on them.

Don’t really have any digital sources that travel (would love to learn more about that) but anyone that wants to can plug their source into my stuff.
Excellent. I would love to have you join in.
As for portable digital sources, i use phone to chord mojo, though i let a friend borrow the mojo, I'm not sure I'll have it back by the meet.

Feb 23, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #44 of 68
Excellent. I would love to have you join in.
As for portable digital sources, i use phone to chord mojo, though i let a friend borrow the mojo, I'm not sure I'll have it back by the meet.
Sorry I didn’t introduce myself last email. My first name is Scott.

Is it possible to have my FLAC hires files stored on iPhone and to just stream them hires from the phone through a usb-c to usb printer type cable plugged into a DAC?

Feb 23, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #45 of 68
Sorry I didn’t introduce myself last email. My first name is Scott.

Is it possible to have my FLAC hires files stored on iPhone and to just stream them hires from the phone through a usb-c to usb printer type cable plugged into a DAC?
Scott,
Yes you should be able to use your phone as a streamer with a usb cable to a DAC. I'll also note that I have Roon throughout my house, therefore if you have a roon app on the phone, you'll have access to my library and Tidal streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back