TJ 274B Meshplate or Sophia Electric 274B Princess mesh plate ?
Jul 8, 2008 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Pricklely Peete

Franken modder
Any difference other than the obvious pricing difference ? The amp in question is made for 274B recs so no worries about upstream cap (less than 10uf) and has choke.

Does Sophia contract TJ for their mesh plates ? They look identical, but my eyes are not that good going by the pics online.

Many thanks in advance for tips/insight on either type from mesh plate owners.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 14
Other than ebay, where did you see the TJ 274b mesh plate? The reason I ask is that I had a bad experience with a guy from China. I paid for a tube and never received it. I ended up filing a complaint with paypal and got my money back.

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 14
The Sophia 274B mesh plate is supposed to have a more refined top end and a little nicer midrange, meaning that it does a little smoother job of rectifying with less overshoot and softer recovery. I have not heard the solid plate but do have the mesh and it holds up fine against the Philips GZ34 metal base GZ34. As long as your current demand isn't over 85mA's the mesh plate would be the way I would go.

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks Jamato and atb !!!

Wow that stinks atb....what PITA to deal with. At least you got your money back
smily_headphones1.gif
Do you remember what the Vendor was by any chance ?

I'll have a look at the specs for the pre amp in question, Jamato. I think the mesh plate will be fine but I'll double check as per your specs to make sure. I appreciate the heads up on what it's strengths are SQ wise !!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers, and happy listening !!

Peete.

PS The current rotation of ST bottles are RCA black plate (early 50's), Jan Ken Rad (early 50's) and NU black plate (early 50's once again). Nice recs but looking at the SE/TJ 274B Mesh plate has me wondering...what if....never ends does it ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 14
Pete

The ebayer I purchased the tube from was chinabest2006. He has good feedback but for some reason he never sent out the tube. At least paypal gave me my money back

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pete

The ebayer I purchased the tube from was chinabest2006. He has good feedback but for some reason he never sent out the tube. At least paypal gave me my money back

Strange, your right, that is the eBay vendor I was looking at. You'd think they would try and fix you up and treat you right. Must be a huge communication problem (which isn't unusual considering the origin). I'll deal with Sophia Electric in light of this development, it's the prudent choice in this case.

Did you end up getting a 274B from elsewhere atb ?

Regards,

Peete.

PS I'll have to shutdown my computer....massive TS moving into area as I write this.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 14
Pete,

I think I'm going to purchase the 274B from Woo Audio. It's only $10 more than buying direct from Sophia Electric. The shipping is cheaper from Woo so it only ends up costing only few dollars more. I think it's worth it because Jack is a great guy and has great service.

Glenn

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 14
Jack also offered me a pair of 274B's when I had my PSU upgraded. I thought about it, but after spending the money for the PSU upgrade I really didn't have the funds to also get the new tubes. When and if I get back to tube upgrades (changes), I probably would go back to jack as well. I know that he will stand behind everything that he sells (and makes).

Cheers,

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pete

Chinabest also sells watches. I enjoy watches and on some of the watch forums he does not have the best reputation. He sells fakes based on the Sea Gull watch, which is an excellent Chinese watch but they are marked sometimes as high end Swiss watches.

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #10 of 14
Looks like Jack at Woo Audio is the man for this tube (now that price is right
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Thanks guys !!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Just finished an extensive PSU upgrade on an old HK CDP. It works !!! Yeah baby
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When and if I get back to tube upgrades (changes), I probably would go back to jack as well. I know that he will stand behind everything that he sells (and makes).

x2 on buying the Sophia and buying it from Woo Audio. From all I have found on the Internet, the Sophia 274B is the reigning champion; Woo is an honest company. what a great combination.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 14
Is the Sophia Electric tube from China? From what I understand from reading a couple threads is that it's ok to use the 274b Meshplate with a stock WA6. Correct? If this tube is from China, I'm going to be on the look out for them when I'm there in the following weeks.

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #13 of 14
Yes, the tube is made in China but that doesn't always mean it would be easy to find it there. You also need to make sure the tube is well tested if you can find it there. I lived there recently (China) for a year and a half and it wasn't always easy to find things locally that are available in the US that came from China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back