Tivoli PAL
Dec 5, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #16 of 35
Thanks MarkO and MacDef! Crutchfield and AudioAdvisor both have the same faded dull brown PAL pictures that turn me off--but your recommendation, Mac, lingered in my mind since I asked you last, so I had to make sure. Thanks again for the help...

Dec 7, 2002 at 8:11 AM Post #18 of 35
My model one is in Chicago, and my PAL is here with me in Australia, so I haven't been able to do an A/B comparison. Or with my Model 88, which is in Canada. (Long story.) But based on my memory of how the Model One and the Model 88 sounded, here is what I think:

I would not buy a Model One instead of a PAL unless the wood finish was very important. The sound of the PAL strikes me as the same as the Model One in quality. The only differences are (1) the PAL seems a bit less loud, less room-filling than I remember the Model One (maybe to save battery power?) (2) my Model One sometimes had bass distortion that seemed like it was coming from the port; the PAL, not having a port, doesn't have that problem.

Take these with a grain of salt, because it's been so long since I've heard my Model One. Neither the Model One nor the PAL is a replacement for a real stereo, but both are terrific radios with wonderful sound that's easy on the ears, for use in those places where it's impractical to have a real stereo.

I am enjoying my PAL far more than I ever did my Model One, mostly because I'm enjoying it more often, because it is so portable. I can carry it with me as I move around, head out to the barbeque, etc. If the Model One has any sound advantages over the PAL, to me they are far outweighed by the convenience of the PAL.

As to the Model 88. Based on my memory again, it had more oomph, more bass, something closer to room-filling sound (though still no substitute for a pair of Paradigm Atoms, say, and an NAD receiver). But it's considerably bigger. And not portable.

Also, I just checked on the Cambridge Soundworks website, and couldn't find the Model 88. Does anyone know if it's been discontinued?

I also don't remember if the Model 88 CD (which is what I have) has an aux input. I use the Aux input on the PAL all the time with my iPod. That's a fabulous ultra-mini combination.

Dec 7, 2002 at 5:36 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

I use the Aux input on the PAL all the time with my iPod. That's a fabulous ultra-mini combination.

Thanks for that tip, Mark. I probably never would have thought to do that..................now I'm really anxious to get the PAL.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by PianoBlack
...which color reproduction is more accurate? Audioadvisor's (left) or Tivoli Audio's website (right)?

I dunno, I really dig my red PAL...also have a new yellow one in the box to give my sister for Christmas.

Brown??? Hey, why not have some fun with colors?...

070102a2.jpg

ppalredbig.jpg

wink.gif

Dec 7, 2002 at 7:23 PM Post #21 of 35
Ah, Porshe yellow and Ferrari Red, very nice !

AudioAdvisor is selling the GI Olive Drab (Hunter Green) for $99 shipped...
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Brown??? Hey, why not have some fun with colors?...

Oddly enough, this twenty-year old is looking for class (...in all the wrong places). And I quite concur with macdef's endorsement: the brown and pearl are definitely top-hat-and-tails classy.

I definitely want to hook up my ipod to my PAL when it arrives. I do alot of prototype building which is usually a deadly silent experience (beside the occasional yelps and curses when the gluegun gets to me and my partners). This seem like the best way to enliven the experience without having to break my back with all the other stuff I have to carry.

But! If I had a couple of $120s lying around, there's no stopping me from getting that red..or yellow!

Dec 9, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by MarkO
Also, I just checked on the Cambridge Soundworks website, and couldn't find the Model 88. Does anyone know if it's been discontinued?

I just got a magazine last week with an ad for a "new" Cambridge Soundworks "table radio" -- looks like the new replacement for the Model 88. All I can say is this: some people said they'd buy the crappy Bose Wave over the Model 88, even though the latter is MUCH better, because the Bose looked better. Well... that reason is no longer valid
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #24 of 35
Phwoar! I just receive my PAL today and man! My IPOD sounded jaw-droppingly good through it! It's astonishing how good it can sound! I can't really speak relatively, except that this knocks the socks off the last boombox I heard (a dismal eighties affair). Considering that I mostly hear this horrible boombox during a task where the music source must be hardy and portable (and good dammit!), I think the PAL is just perfect for me.

...and yes. You can go looouuud with the PAL. With bass that won't shame you and a room-filling presence, the PAL gets an A+ (dripping with drool) from this head-fier.

hmmm....brown! I would say it's not as rich as the tivoli picture but not as horribly over-exposed as the audioadvisor one. The knobs are definitely eyecatching.

Dec 10, 2002 at 12:27 PM Post #25 of 35
Actually i have just read the Tivoli's brochure and found that Model1 and Pal are not much different in size. I think Model1 benefits from wood cabinet (interm of sonic improvement) and maybe a bid higher quality speaker (it said that the speaker is 3",long throw while Pal's speaker is 2.5" weather proof. Pal's benefit from the built in NiMH battery and stereo headphone jack.
Model 1 recieved some compliment from Stereoreview but i'm not sure about Pal.
NEO

Dec 10, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
AudioAdvisor is selling the GI Olive Drab (Hunter Green) for $99 shipped...
biggrin.gif

Deal expired -- this week's special is the Neon Yellow for $99 shipped
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Deal expired -- this week's special is the Neon Yellow for $99 shipped
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you kidding ? I thought the yellow (with the contrasting black print) was kind of sharp. Sort of like high tech gauges. Oh well, I guess I'll learn t love my mean green
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2002 at 5:37 PM Post #28 of 35
Well this worked out pretty well, I just received an email that the Hunter Green is out of stock... so I got my Neon Yellow
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2002 at 6:00 PM Post #29 of 35
I guess I should have got it when it was green. I guess I'll hold out and see what color goes on sale after yellow. I'd rather have black.

Dec 11, 2002 at 6:12 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I guess I should have got it when it was green. I guess I'll hold out and see what color goes on sale after yellow. I'd rather have black.

You might want to give them a call, looks like they're looking to move them. They gave me a choice of gray, black, brown or yellow, so that's probably what they've got left in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back