Tivoli PAL
Nov 29, 2002 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
The Tivoli PAL has been mentioned a few times in various other threads but I thought maybe it was time for it to have its own thread.

I work in a high floor of a tall building downtown and wonder if the Tivoli PAL would be able to receive reception there. Does anyone have experience using it inside a tall building?

I usually listen to music at work but it would be nice sometimes to have talk radio available to me and the RIAA has successfully put a stop to almost all worthy internet radio.

Nov 29, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 35
First of all, the RIAA hasn't put a stop to all worthwile internet radio, although they've certainly threatened it. Try a subscription to RealOne from Real Networks, plus their radio package. There are HUNDREDS of stations available, many in bradband with very high quality sound. I for one consider public radio to be perhaps the most "worthwhile" of all radio available today, and MANY public stations across the US stream their signals with sound quality rivaling, or even surpassing their fm sound quality. WFDD in Winston Salem (near where I live) is one ( www.wfdd.org ). KUOW in Seattle is another ( www.kuow.org ). There are MANY, MANY others! You might even want to check out the internet radio programs at my site www.theproductionroom.net

As for your desire to listen to a PAL high in a tall building, remember height is a good thing for fm reception! The PAL will do as well as anything available in this situation, and far better than most. AM reception should be fine for local stations too, but the PAL is no dx champ on the am band. It DOES have surprisingly good am sound quality. As with any am radio, keep it as far as possible from computer screens and fourescent lights to minimize noise.

And for real variety, there's always satellite radio! An XM system, such as the new unit from Delphi, mgiht be an interesting addition to your office environment!

Nov 29, 2002 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 35
Also: Where is the best place to buy one?

They seem to be the same price ($129.95) everywhere. $10 shipping from Crutchfield. $14 shipping from Tivoli. It may be free shipping from Amazon but the don't stock the black model regardless.

Is there a place to buy them locally? I've only seen the Model One here and that was in a Tweeter, I think.

Nov 30, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 35
gregor
Um size? I don't have my own office. I'm out on the floor in a cubicle so whatever I have has to either go in my drawer or in my backpack at the end of the day.

Nov 30, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
The Tivoli PAL has been mentioned a few times in various other threads but I thought maybe it was time for it to have its own thread.

It's had several of its own threads
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I work in a high floor of a tall building downtown and wonder if the Tivoli PAL would be able to receive reception there. Does anyone have experience using it inside a tall building?

My better half uses a Model Two at work -- about 20 floors up in an office building -- and gets good reception. Let's put it this way: if *any* radio will get FM stations in your office, the PAL or Model One/Two will.

Quote:

Also: Where is the best place to buy one?

They seem to be the same price ($129.95) everywhere. $10 shipping from Crutchfield. $14 shipping from Tivoli. It may be free shipping from Amazon but the don't stock the black model regardless.

Is there a place to buy them locally? I've only seen the Model One here and that was in a Tweeter, I think.

Audio Advisor carries them, as well. Out here, The Good Guys carries them.

Nov 30, 2002 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
gregor
Um size? I don't have my own office. I'm out on the floor in a cubicle so whatever I have has to either go in my drawer or in my backpack at the end of the day.

I also work in a cubicle but size is less of an issue for me. I'm leaning towards having a model 1. However, I'm having 2nd thought because model 1 headphone out is mono, so PAL may be a better choice...

Nov 30, 2002 at 8:41 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Audio Advisor carries them, as well.

kelly, AA is offering free shipping right now, since it's sold for the same price everywhere. It's probably the best deal for you.

Nov 30, 2002 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 35
I would definitely choose the PAL over the model one if I ever planned to listen through headphones. The PAL is not only stereo (through headphones), it has a surprisingly robust headphone amp built in. DEFINITELY a class act!

Nov 30, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #11 of 35
Just got one. Great piece of audio: truly hi-fi.

EXCELLENT tuner. WAY beyond the average radio tuner.

Impressive speaker too.

The tuner ought to work fine in a building like that. FM will be fine (great, actually!). AM too, unless it's thick concrete.

Dec 3, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by PianoBlack
Hmmm! What free shipping?

Yup, according to AA, you should have an option to choose free shipping at check out. Don't know when the promotion is going to end though.

Dec 5, 2002 at 9:41 AM Post #14 of 35
The brown PAL on the right (from the Tivoli site) is how it looks in real life. It's a very deep brown, very nice. I went with Pearl myself, because lots of time my iPod is perched atop it, plugged into the Aux jack. The Pearl finish is good, but it does show dirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back