Tivoli Model CD -> G-Lite -> HD650
Apr 25, 2007 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JPEos

New Head-Fier
Hey, gang! A couple months ago I began a search for a small form-factor CDP for a gift I'm putting together. The Senn HD650s are in hand and the G-Lite should be shipping soon, but I still have no source! Forum members have offered several excellent suggestions (Musical Fidelity X-Ray, Cyrus Audio, Audio Analogue Primo). Unfortunately, my budget is already stretched to the breaking point, putting these units out of reach. The Tivoli Model CD is the right price and size. Any thoughts on using one with this set-up? Ninety percent of the CDs destined for play here will be classical recordings, most of those being orchestral pieces.

Of course, I understand that I can't expect the Tivoli to go head-to-head with units that cost five times the price. Right now I will settle for something that sounds good. I'll upgrade to "sounds great" down the road (I hope).
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the help, everybody!
- John

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #2 of 6
that cd player, i believe, has a 1-bit DAC. it will be a very weak link in the chain. there must be used cd players that are better.

Apr 25, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi, I know I'm new to head-fi, but I own a Tivoli CD player and Sennheiser HD-650's and Grado RS-1's and a Grado RA-1 amp. I can state unequivocally that the Tivoli CD sounds bad. I can (and do) use a 1986 Nakamichi CDP-2A with its internal headphone amplification to MUCH better effect. (dual 18 bit D/A). In comparison, the Tivoli sounds very flat and lacks both in the highs and lows, as if you're hearing it over a phone line. I'm sure that there are literally hundreds of better models to choose from.

Apr 25, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that cd player, i believe, has a 1-bit DAC. it will be a very weak link in the chain. there must be used cd players that are better.

I was afraid of that. I've been watching the sales boards closely, hoping for a good deal on one of the CDPs suggested. Unfortunately, no luck so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattselbee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I know I'm new to head-fi, but I own a Tivoli CD player and Sennheiser HD-650's and Grado RS-1's and a Grado RA-1 amp. I can state unequivocally that the Tivoli CD sounds bad. I can (and do) use a 1986 Nakamichi CDP-2A with its internal headphone amplification to MUCH better effect. (dual 18 bit D/A). In comparison, the Tivoli sounds very flat and lacks both in the highs and lows, as if you're hearing it over a phone line. I'm sure that there are literally hundreds of better models to choose from.

This is exactly what I needed to know. Looks like the search continues...

Thanks to both of you for your help
smily_headphones1.gif

- John

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattselbee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you looking for something that size specifically? Will a standard 19" wide model do? What's your budget?

I am hoping to find something less than 10" wide. Depth and height aren't really an issue. My budget, unfortunately, is quite limited. I need to keep the purchase under $500, and preferably under $400. As such, I've been scouring the sales boards and auction sites, without much luck.

Thanks for your help.

- John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back