Tivoli Audio Model CD
Jun 16, 2006 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bosk

1000+ Head-Fier
product_image.php

We've owned one of these little players -paired with a Model One table radio- for quite some time now, but for various reasons most of it's life has been spent collecting dust.

Since I've just sold my iPod Video (which I've been lazily using as my main source for home listening of late) I decided to dust off the Model CD and use it as my interim source until I acquire a new DAC in a week or so.
Unfortunately the Model CD lacks coax/optical digital outputs, so in my case it is definately a stop-gap solution.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that I've been enjoying this little player immensely.
At present I'm using it with my UM1's through it's own headphone out jack at the rear, and the sound is quite mellow and sweet for a digital player, resolution is also very good.

Of course it's by no means a 'high end' system!
I've ordered a pair of 2006 DT880's from TTVJ which will hopefully be here next week, and coupled with the new DAC and tube amp I plan to acquire I'm sure that will be in a different league entirely.
Even my old headphone rig which I sold earlier this year -Cambridge Audio 640C / Talisman T-3H / Senn 580's- was far more resolving it must be said.

The thing about the Model CD though, is that it's just such a tiny and adorable little player. The wood finish is delictable, and it's footprint is absolutely perfect for a bedside rig which is how I'm using it right now.
I am tempted to look into the possibility of having it modded somehow, and pairing with an Earmax Pro.. if for no other reason, because it would make such a drop-dead gorgeous little headphone rig.

IIRC the Model CD received some bad press when it was first released, I think because some of them suffered QC issues. Pity, because it really is a brillant little player in it's way.
I really wish there were more great sounding 'micro size' players like this one around to choose from.

Jun 16, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 7
I use one as well. I had bad luck with the first one I purchased as it wouldn't read any CDs! I sent it back and said to hell with it, figuring all those past reviews were right about the numerous read problems encoutered by so many. Anyway, to make a long story short, I decided to give another one a go, but this time I bought locally so I could take it back (instead of shipping).

I to have the matching radio plus the second speaker and sub. I agree, this is a sweet sounding CDP, both with phones and without. I currently use a Rockhopper Pimeta portable amp with Shure E4s and really liking the sound. I will be using the new Corda Headfive with this player as soon as it arrives.

I really needed a cdp with a small footprint for my nightstand where the vast majority of my listening is done, and this is working out well.

FYI: I bought the first Model CD from Amazon, and was told that they probably have some of the older, defective cdps in stock, thus the reason for purchasing local the second time. No problems whatsover with this one. Also, in case any one is interested, tech support from Tivoli told me that the Model CD utilizes a model number S5L9292 DAC.

I would love to see Tivoli add digital outs, which can be done as DIY according to their tech, but obviously it would void the warranty, and I wouldn't know what the hell I was doing anyway!

Jun 17, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 7
Glad to hear you're enjoying yours too spaceman.
icon10.gif

The DIY digital out modding option is a very interesting one, I'm going to look into that I think.

Jun 18, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 7
I'm planning to build a dorm rig consisting of this Tivoli CD player, Wooaudio 3 and Grado RS-1. I can't wait to hear how that would sound!!

Would you guys be kind enough to post pictures of your tivolis? There are very few pictures availible on the internet. I'd love to see how it looks like under non-studio lighting.

Jun 19, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 7
I'll try to get some shots of mine posted later today or tomorrow.
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 7
IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back