Tivoli’s iPAL -- The Mini Cooper of portable radios (Mini Review)
Dec 3, 2005 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Alwayswantmore

1000+ Head-Fier
Plug your iPod or MP3 into Tivoli's iPAL, shoulder the custom carry case (like you would a canteen or purse), and you can now share your tunes while on the go.

ipal.jpg

I find the iPAL great for listening to my iPod with a couple of friends or ditching headphones when getting dressed in the morning. And audio books have never been more accessible when working around the house or winding down at days end.

iPAL stands a hair taller than the length of a dollar bill. And features rechargeable batteries, an optional carry case w/ shoulder strap, an input jack for your iPod or MP3, stereo headphone output jack, and two side pockets to hold your player and a patch cord or IEMs.

The unit exudes a feeling of quality construction in a compact and convenient package. And while the sound is impressive given its size, you’ll need more power to liven up your next rave.* Comes with AC adaptor for easy recharging.

I've had mine for a almost a month now and I absolutely love it! You can find them at Tweeter, Magnolia (the new store-in-store at select Best Buy locations) and Brookstone. Also on the Web at www.jr.com. Here's what you can expect to pay...

iPAL retails for $150. I found it at JR and Brookstone for $130 (call J&R to get this price).
Optional case retails for about $30. J&R sells this for $25.

* Speaker is mono and can not be classified as hi-fidelity. The headphone jack however is stereo, allowing you to use your headphones for FM; a need not addressed by the iPod.

Edit: Here is link to another portable from Sonic -- http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151002

Dec 3, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 15
Next time you are in a Best Buys, see if they have the new Magnolia (store-in-store). Plug in your iPod and see / listen for yourself...

It has the "feel" of a product that would sell for more than $150. The case is not cheap plastic and the controls are smooth as silk. And in terms of portability -- considering iPALs custom case -- I found few (if any) good alternatives.

Unfortunately, most stores don't display the case which is well constructed and fits as snug as OJ's glove. For best sound I tweak iPod EQ: Spoken voice works well for audio books; Acoustic works for much of my music (at normal EQ iPAL can sound heavy in the lower midrange). Tivoli claims unit to be weather resistant (even without the case).

I am not affiliated with Tivoli, but like it so much I wanted to share. For me this products holds more emotional appeal than my new iPod 5G 60 gig
tongue.gif

Dec 4, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 15
Ya know, I really, really wanted to like the iPal or the new iSongbook, but when I listened to them with my G5 iPod at a local Magnolia I really wasn't all that impressed.

They didn't sound particularly more impressive than basic computer speakers you can get for $50.

Now for conveniance I can see where some people would fork over the dough to have an all in one, "iPod ready" portable system.

But for sound quality, no.

Dec 4, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 15
I agree with you on the sound quality... iPAL’s fidelity can definitely be bested at this price. [But must we always seek the absolute sound? That's where my home system and soon to be Aria headamp IEMs come in.]

Here are iPALs relative strengths...

Portability / convenience = 10
Overall construction / duribility = 9
Features = 7*
Sound for the $ = Honestly it’s less than a 5

* It would be nice if it had an iPod universal dock; I would also like to be able to switch to FM without having to remove the patch cord.

One more thing: If you plan to audition, bring your own iPod / MP3 with higher quality files (I'm using Apple lossless), and see my tips on EQ in an earlier post.

Last thought -- The same could be said of the Mini Cooper. Could you buy a small car for less money? Yes. Could you arguably get "more" car (or at least a more practical car) for the same money? Probably. Would I still love to own a Mini? You bet.

Dec 4, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 15
As a radio, the Tivoli PAL isn't too bad. The AM is hampered by a small ferrite bar antenna placed near a ground plane resulting in weakened reception. Otherwise that section is decent. The FM is reasonably sensitive, selective (thanks to two IF filters), and is image resistant (thanks to a balanced mixer). The non-defeatable AFC that helps make strong stations somewhat easier to tune makes it hard to tune the weak stations next to strong ones.

Fairly strong audio from the headphone jack.

Paul

Dec 11, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #10 of 15
Sorry to hear. Have you tried your portable into another source or tried a different cable / player into the iPAL just to validate that the iPAL is the problem?

Dec 14, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 15
Sound quality? Well, it's no hi-end. But it has pleasant sound. It's warm and very forgiving, ideal for radio. And being weather resistant is a natural for bath use.
In my opinion is a great product, very well designed.

Dec 15, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 15
I have the excellent CCrane FM transmitter connected to my MF x-can v2. With the iPAL FM sensitivity and its portability I get very good music anywhere in the house -- an inexpensive alternative to Wi Fi.

Dec 20, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4u
I have the excellent CCrane FM transmitter connected to my MF x-can v2. With the iPAL FM sensitivity and its portability I get very good music anywhere in the house -- an inexpensive alternative to Wi Fi.

Here's a link to a user review of the CCrane FM / Tivoli PAL combo... http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...1105027109.htm

Dec 20, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #15 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back