Tivo has completely changed my TV Viewing
Sep 8, 2002 at 2:17 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
Has anyone tried ReplayTV?
They have a choice of paying a onetime lifetime fee or a monthy service charge.

For anyone considering a unit it is very easy to add additional hard drives so one could get the cheapest unit and just upgrade the hard drive.

Tivo hacking

ReplayTV hacking

Yes, I've got a Panasonic Showstopper 30hr unit in addition to the (Philips) Tivo. I bought it because I wanted a second unit for the bedroom but didn't want to pony up another subscription fee ($250 for lifetime of unit) ReplayTV doesn't charge a subscription so to speak, they kind of add that into the price of the unit. Of course you can dodge that by looking for deals on them on eBay which is what I did. I actually bought both units on eBay, the Tivo coming with a subscription. ReplayTV's interface is not as elegant (IMO) and I feel Tivo has more functionality, but it gets the job done. And yes, with the info provided referenced in your first link, I upgraded my 30hr Philips with two 100gig drives just about a year ago. (246 hrs basic/67 hrs best) I planned on upgrading the RePlay unit as well, but never had the need to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #17 of 18
I wanted another TIVO too, but did not want to pay another subscription (about $13 a month) or shell out for another unit.

So I got one of those 2.4ghz vido links (most stores, Radio Shack) which transmits audio and video from my Tivo in the living room to the aux input of TV in bedroom. And also one of those infrared remote control room-to-room extender (Radio Shack, X10). So it's like having the same Tivo in my Bedroom! Great!

Total cost was about $150. Yech. But there is a device called a Wavecom Sr. (I think that's what it's called) that does both functions (video and IR) for about $80 on the net. I had problems getting one of these, so shelled out locally.

My 2.4ghz phone in the living room will sometimes interfere with it so I just put it on the cradle when I use the RF link.

Sep 13, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #18 of 18
So have they figured out a way to put multiple tuners into one box with one feed? I really don't see a need to have multiple units with multiple tuner cards just so that I can record shows that are on different channels at the same time. It seems like it would be a simple enough matter. I don't care if they have multiple tuners internally, just make it convenient for the user, so they only have to connect cable once.

Ultimate system -- Linux box with multiple tuners, dedicated hard drive for each tuner. Write your own operating system. Is the source-code online? If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to become a hermit and just watch TV all day. Until "poof" I blow up due to some blipvert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back