Titanium vs DX vs DG (New soundcard)
Jan 28, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #16 of 22
So based on what you believe to be true, if you are going to use an external DAC then the Titanium is a better bet, but for the actual card itself the DG is a better buy?

Many thanks!

Quote:
As far as I know, using the optical output on the DG bypass the DG's audio processing.

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #17 of 22

Quote:
Do these Xonar cards have a way in software to mute the headphone output?  I'll be alternately running headphones and the line-out jack to a speaker amplifier, and I'd hate to have to keep reaching behind the computer to plug/unplug the headphones.

In control panel, when you switch the output to line-out (speakers), I believe the headphone output stops working.
So you can only power one or the other at a time.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #18 of 22

Quote:
So based on what you believe to be true, if you are going to use an external DAC then the Titanium is a better bet, but for the actual card itself the DG is a better buy?

If you use an external DAC, it really does not matter which sound card use use (DG or Titanium) because the sound cards audio processing is going to be bypassed anyway.
I'm biased for Xonar cards over Creative Labs, not because of sound quality, but because I found it much easier to solve driver problems with Xonar over Creative Labs.
I like the DG because it's the best bang for the buck (built in headphone amplifier and Dolby Digital).

Now the new CL Titanium HD is a nice card, cheaper then the Xonar Essence ST & STX, great game support, does not come with a dedicated headphone amplifier, but does a good job at powering headphones anyway, can do headphone surround sound thru the RCA outputs (maybe the S/PDIF to?).
But it seems to have a hissing sound in the audio and a little more negetive feedback then other sound cards.

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #19 of 22

Quote:
If you use an external DAC, it really does not matter which sound card use use (DG or Titanium) because the sound cards audio processing is going to be bypassed anyway.

Again, incorrect. Xonar cards allegedly refuse to output Dolby Headphone-processed S/PDIF as a shortsighted driver limitation, but EAX effects in games should still go through just fine. X-Fi cards can output CMSS-3D Headphone through S/PDIF. I've tested it myself, and RightMark 3DSound's positioning test doesn't lie.

I don't hear any hissing sounds out of my Titanium HD; certainly, my headphones would pick it up if there were any.

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #20 of 22

Quote:
Again, incorrect. Xonar cards allegedly refuse to output Dolby Headphone-processed S/PDIF as a shortsighted driver limitation, but EAX effects in games should still go through just fine. X-Fi cards can output CMSS-3D Headphone through S/PDIF. I've tested it myself, and RightMark 3DSound's positioning test doesn't lie.
I don't hear any hissing sounds out of my Titanium HD; certainly, my headphones would pick it up if there were any.

Were is a good website that has a review that talks about X-fi output thru S/PDIF?

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #21 of 22

Quote:
Were is a good website that has a review that talks about X-fi output thru S/PDIF?

I wish I could find one. Most Web sites that even discuss PC sound cards for gaming don't even go nearly as in-depth as I do, never mind the whole matter of audio being so subjective.

But my ears aren't lying to me. RightMark 3DSound allows me to test up to EAX 4 and demonstrates the binaural qualities of CMSS-3D Headphone at its best, and I know my SU-DH1 isn't interfering with all of its DSP features completely off (straight DAC mode).

Perhaps it's time for me to start my own site for in-depth PC hardware reviews?

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #22 of 22
hi guys i bought asus xonar DG, im using it atm, i didnt hear any difference at first, but then i enabled dolby headphone + 7.1 virtual speaker shifter and holy christ..... and the wonderful EQ made it possible for me to increase the clarity of youtubevideos to the TOP :D my VIA-card had sucky EQ (i only used iTunes before and it was great, but now i can apply the same EQ on EVERYTHING, not just iTunes :)) but now its like if i have HD audio on youtube :) im very satisfied!

however ive stumbled across a problem, the front panel doesnt auto-switch, i cant use the backpanel at all, only the front panel (i connected front panel to my soundcard)... 
EDIT: FIXED this, i just changed the output settings in Xonar DG audio center!!!!!!!! i love this :) ty for the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back