Titanium vs DX vs DG (New soundcard)
Jan 23, 2012 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

constipationnow

New Head-Fier

Hi!

I'm going to buy a new soundcard. Which one would be the best for this setup:

Setup:
- VIA VT1818 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC (Onboard M4A87TD/USB3)
- Sony MDR XB500

Buy-Options:
Asus Xonar Dg
Asus Xonar DX
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Or any other within the pricerange ~75$

Purpose:
- Soundquality. More clarity for mids and highs and general boost. Want it to sound "better", want to notice a difference between onboard and this new one.
- Investment for future speakers, midclass maybe logitech z-906
- Investment for future headphones
- Music (dubstep/hiphop)

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 22
Asus Xonar DG, it's the only one that comes with a dedicated headphone amplifier, rated up to 150-Ohms.
The DG is half the price of the other two cards.
The DG comes with opticcal digital output.

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 22

Quote:
What difference between DG and DX/D1 would you notice if you compared those?

The DX/D1 are rated for full Blu-ray audio
The DG is half way between DVD & Blu-ray for audio.
The DG, DX, D1 power headphones about the same.
The DX/D1 can do analog speaker 7.1, the DG analog speaker 5.1
The DX/D1 use the CMI8788 audio processor, the DG uses the CMI8786.
The DG & D1 are PCI, the DX is PCI-Express
They all come with Dolby Digital (Dolby Headphone surround sound).

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 22

Quote:
The DX/D1 are rated for full Blu-ray audio
The DG is half way between DVD & Blu-ray for audio.
The DG, DX, D1 power headphones about the same.
The DX/D1 can do analog speaker 7.1, the DG analog speaker 5.1
The DX/D1 use the CMI8788 audio processor, the DG uses the CMI8786.
The DG & D1 are PCI, the DX is PCI-Express
They all come with Dolby Digital (Dolby Headphone surround sound).

sorry i wasnt clear enough. i meant difference in soundquality

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
Sorry i wasn't clear enough. i meant difference in sound quality.

Sound quality with headphones, I'm going to guess all three Xonars are very equal.
And if you get the Logitech Z-906 and I'm guessing you going to use the digital optical connection.
there would be no difference in sound quality for the speaker sound.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 22
I love my Xonar DG. Battlefield 3 sounds amazing with the virtual 7.1 audio and I think that it has a pretty decent onboard amplifier. Sound quality wise, I recall reading almost everywhere that there's not much difference in sound quality between the 3. The Titanium has some software that would give you more options in some (Mostly older) games and that software is also emulated on the Xonar's pretty well. Thats about it.

When choosing a sound card I needed one that was going to use a PCIe slot but reading as how the DG and DX had almost identical SQ I said screw it, saved a few bucks, moved my GPU down a few slots, and slapped in my DG! Even with speakers (2 Philips bookshelves) the sound quality improvement is very noticeable. Explosions now have bass that I never knew existed. Rockets flying by feet away from you give me goosebumps and I have a better mental visualization of there sounds are coming from.

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
I love my Xonar DG. Battlefield 3 sounds amazing with the virtual 7.1 audio and I think that it has a pretty decent onboard amplifier. Sound quality wise, I recall reading almost everywhere that there's not much difference in sound quality between the 3. The Titanium has some software that would give you more options in some (Mostly older) games and that software is also emulated on the Xonar's pretty well. Thats about it.

When choosing a sound card I needed one that was going to use a PCIe slot but reading as how the DG and DX had almost identical SQ I said screw it, saved a few bucks, moved my GPU down a few slots, and slapped in my DG! Even with speakers (2 Philips bookshelves) the sound quality improvement is very noticeable. Explosions now have bass that I never knew existed. Rockets flying by feet away from you give me goosebumps and I have a better mental visualization of there sounds are coming from.

nice, thats exactly what i want to hear :D read some more reviews on newegg and other professional site reviews, seems good enough, ill buy this next weekend

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 22
Jan 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:

Guys Btw as u can see above there are different modes for the impediance on the ASUS Xonar DG. on the website for my Sony XB500 it says the impediance is 40 ohms. this means i can only go for pro-gaming mode that ranges between 32~64 ohms right?
 http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665774410#specifications

I believe these is some leeway on the gain setting, I think you can set it for whatever sounds good to you.
But the 32~64 mode is were the XB500 would normally be set to.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #13 of 22
Do these Xonar cards have a way in software to mute the headphone output?  I'll be alternately running headphones and the line-out jack to a speaker amplifier, and I'd hate to have to keep reaching behind the computer to plug/unplug the headphones.

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #14 of 22
With the DG, if you used the optical output to run a DAC then an amplifier, would you get any of the surround DSP effects like you would the X-Fi Titanium? I am currently in the same boat as the OP, I have HD595's though, and would like a solution that I can upgrade to later, which would be a DAC/ Amp (Fiio E17 maybe???).

Many thanks!

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
With the DG, if you used the optical output to run a DAC then an amplifier, would you get any of the surround DSP effects like you would the X-Fi Titanium? I am currently in the same boat as the OP, I have HD595's though, and would like a solution that I can upgrade to later, which would be a DAC/ Amp (Fiio E17 maybe???).

As far as I know, using the optical output on the DG bypass the DG's audio processing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back