Titanium coated drivers have harsh treble?
May 31, 2006 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Dr.Sade

100+ Head-Fier
Do all titanium coated headphone drivers have a shrill treble and sibilance - resulting in high frequency listening fatigue?

Bowed string instruments sound harsh and female voices hiss on the Koss
UR40 and the Ultrasone Pro 750/2500.

Do the other titanium coated headphones (Koss: KSC-75, MV1, PRO AAT, PRO AAAT; Ultrasone: PRO 750/2500/Edition 7; Goldring DR150) have the same issue?

Titanium coating seems bad for classical music but apparently good for rock
music.

May 31, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 19
I dont find that to be the case.
Note that the Koss cans can be very sensitive to amplification.

Garrett

May 31, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sade
Do all titanium coated headphone drivers have a shrill treble and sibilance - resulting in high frequency listening fatigue?

Bowed string instruments sound harsh and female voices hiss on the Koss
UR40 and the Ultrasone Pro 750/2500.

Do the other titanium coated headphones (Koss: KSC-75, MV1, PRO AAT, PRO AAAT; Ultrasone: PRO 750/2500/Edition 7; Goldring DR150) have the same issue?

Titanium coating seems bad for classical music but apparently good for rock
music.

They can be maybe a little bit harsh or bright in the beginning, but the Koss Pro4AA T not harsh or bright at all after break-in. http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181795 Also after they have been broken in for a few days the KSC 75's are not bright either. The MV1's and the Pro4AAA T's are still new. One poster on here "TheSloth" will be reviewing the MV1's soon. Another reader has auditioned the Pro4AAA T's and is possibly to be posting a review soon if memory recalls.

Hope this helps.

May 31, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TempestX
They can be maybe a little bit harsh or bright in the beginning, but the Koss Pro4AA T not harsh or bright at all after break-in. http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181795 Also after they have been broken in for a few days the KSC 75's are not bright either. The MV1's and the Pro4AAA T's are still new. One poster on here "TheSloth" will be reviewing the MV1's soon. Another reader has auditioned the Pro4AAA T's and is possibly to be posting a review soon if memory recalls.

Hope this helps.

It would be really nice if these other posters could compare the new
titanium Koss headphones to the Goldring DR150 while they're at it.

May 31, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I dont find that to be the case.
Note that the Koss cans can be very sensitive to amplification.

Garrett

Second that. However, if they are not properly driven they can sound a bit harsh, especially with dremel mod.

May 31, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #11 of 19
The fact that most recommended KSC75 mods increase the highs is a clear indication that there is no shrillness. It's rather too dark IMO, even when being kramered.

May 31, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #12 of 19
The titanium tweeters in my speaker system sound sweet!!(ok
frown.gif
I don't have cans with ti. to talk about.)

May 31, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 19
the DR150s have a "titanium film diaphragm". at first there is presence of sibilance but after 20-30 hours it all but goes away. the GRs are no where near harsh and have a slightly elevated bass and wonderful mids so i would say you can't make a generalization about titanium coated or "titanium film". perhaps it is the mating between the titanium and the magnet that is key.

i will say this, however - the DR150s are very source sensitive especially when it comes to amps. this is not necessarily a bad thing since it is kind of fun amp swapping and hearing the differences. fyi - they are a wonderful match with the Supermacro 3. also, another poster was floored when using his Lavry with the GRs.

May 31, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #14 of 19
Thinking out loud, but I wonder whether titanium-coated diaphragms are more reflective (of sound waves reflected back off the outer ear) than mylar/plastic/whatever?

Jun 1, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sade
It would be really nice if these other posters could compare the new
titanium Koss headphones to the Goldring DR150 while they're at it.

It would also be nice if the new Koss MV1 was compared to the new Sony
V/Z 900HD (uses SA1000 drivers 80K Hz); and if the the new Koss PRO4AAAT,
Goldring DR150, and Sony SA1000 were compared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back