Tired of your gear? Why? What happened?
May 19, 2018 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Headphoneus Supremus
Ever grow tired of gear you once excitedly read about in a review, saved for, purchased, tracked the shipping via the internet, pulled out and handled with white gloves, listened to in awe, only to find yourself putting the words "no longer want it" in a review and selling?

Share your cautionary tales to newbies before they break the bank!

May 19, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 5
This is the reason I have multiple different headphones and amps. When I grow a bit tired of one, I simply set ti aside and switch to something else for awhile. It seems to work for me. That said, this process simply causes me to buy more headphones, thus not solving the fundamental economic problem... I spend too much money on headphone gear.---)

Sep 23, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 5
I seem to be becoming an iem junkie. What I did this past weekend was buy some $6 iem from TJ maxx. The minute I listened to them I thought "this is garbage" put my regular iems back in and listen with joy.
I tossed out the garbage but kept the zipper case that came with them.

Sep 23, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 5
Ever grow tired of gear you once excitedly read about in a review, saved for, purchased, tracked the shipping via the internet, pulled out and handled with white gloves, listened to in awe, only to find yourself putting the words "no longer want it" in a review and selling?

Share your cautionary tales to newbies before they break the bank!

I'd be one of the exceptions to the epidemic of upgraditis here. I still have my HD600 and Cantate.2. The latter broke twice thanks to a power surge, picked up a back up amp, went back to using the very low noise Cantate.2 once it was working again.

That's not due to not catching up - I attend audio events in my area including the annual HiFi show (which took on more headphone gears since around 2014) and I still choose to stick with my gear. At best, I kind of want to get the HE400S since it's at a good price now, but HiFiMan parts support kind of sucks compared to Sennheiser, and that's one thing that's keeping me sane.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back