Tired of chasing. Wide soundstage with adequate bass and comfort
Jun 22, 2019 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

vandaq

New Head-Fier
I have gone back and forth with a lot of headphones. Rarely they disappoint but I end up dissapointing and I eventually come back too my old AD700. Now I love these headphones but they end up lacking with bass which is probably a surprise too no one. But looking back, I have not looked specifically for soundstage? Or is it imaging. I won't pretend I know the terms here that are used. Or I know what makes me tick when it comes too sound. But I have gone over a ton of different headphones and especially IEMS over years now. My music taste lies around mostly electronic stuff, be it techno, ambient and the variations between that. I enjoy nearly anything but this is what I mostly listen too.

The thing that ends up disappointing me is that the headphones starts lacking the airy/big room effect and ends up feeling narrow. While they are superior for music compared too my AD700, it keeps bringing me back. And comfort plays a part too. I guess my head is kind of big because many headphones feels like they are either clamping too hard or the headband is pretty poor. Anyway...

Some headphones I have had/tried besides cheap or not worth mentioning.
Fidelio X2. For some reason I really despised these. Probably the biggest letdown I have had so far.
Hifiman HE-500. Great sound but clamp is unbearable. I never use these anymore
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus. Not that bad bass but overall the sound is pretty lacking and boring.
Acoustic Research H1. Probably my favorite outside of AD700 but they lack the soundstage/imaging I want. Also not such a good fit for me. But for music they are my favorite
HD660. Only tested these but they sounded very narrow, almost like there were some bad speakers on my head. Probably test bench I did.
Denon 7200. Great headphones but not what I am looking for either.

I have tried looking around and one obvious choice that sticks out is HD800S but I fear that is a bit too steep for me. That ends up costing me around 1400 euros. While I can afford that, I rather not go that far.
I have seen similiar suggestions like some Fostex one etc but they end up around the same price or higher.
I would say I ideally do not want too spend more than 600-800 euros. Will be powered my audio gd fun. Wish I could search myself up too an answer but I have spent so much time on this and I get nowhere. Hoping someone else can relate a bit too what I am asking here. If there is something I need too specify then please ask or point it out too me. And thank you so much for reading this and possibly giving me some help on this

Jun 22, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 25
Would have too be open. They look interesting but worried about that headband. Looks very similar too my AR-H1 which is a bit concerning. Reading some reports on them. I'm worried these will kinda blend in with that one and my he 500s. Really hard too say. But I wasn't really aware of this pair in particular. Seems a bit more on the expensive side here, around 900. Thank you for the suggestion, will look more into it for sure.

On another note. I wonder how the MDR Z7 would feel for me. They are available quite cheap but I am worried they will not feel as open as I would like in the sound. Same goes for the Nighthawks which I can also get quite cheap second hand. In fact, I can get both of these for under 500. But that is a bad idea. God I hate looking into this stuff sometimes lol.

Third edit actually but, I reckon the MDR Z7 and the nighthawks would be decent buys and pretty comfortable as well. But they are not entirely what I am after and would end up with the same feeling most headphones give me after a month..

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 25
Its been my experience that you get either big bass+small staging,or wide staging and neutral bass,until you get into $$$ headphones. The lone exception would be the X2,which you already tried and didnt like. That makes me wonder if its truly soundstage that youre after,or something different?

Jun 22, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 25
MrSpeakers Aeon Flow. Open or closed back depending on your needs.

Would have too be open. They look interesting but worried about that headband.

I havent tried the AFO,but the AFC is incredibly comfortable,but you wont like the bass. I reviewed it awhile back on my YouTube channel(link in signature)

Jun 22, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 25
Never heard them but aren't the Modhouse Argons (Mk3?) not supposed to have have very wide soundstage and tons of bass?

Jun 22, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 25
I'd give a look into the Audioquest Nightowl. They can be found for around $200 and can be run by pretty much anything.

Jun 23, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 25
Its been my experience that you get either big bass+small staging,or wide staging and neutral bass,until you get into $$$ headphones. The lone exception would be the X2,which you already tried and didnt like. That makes me wonder if its truly soundstage that youre after,or something different?
It is wide stage and decent bass. I would like too have everything but it is quite unrealistic. Most of the headphones that I have gotten lacks that. Ideally no clamping issues since that can really sour the experience and make it worse over time.

Jun 23, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 25
There is someone selling the Nightowl Carbon close to me. Same for the Nighthawks. But are they really what I am after? Then again that question is kinda difficult too answer considering how polarizing those Audioquest headphones are from the start. Something that makes this a bit more difficult for me is that I can't really specify the exact signature I am looking for. Be that bright, recessed or emphasized mids and so forth. For someone that has been interested in audio for years, I am quite the beginner in many ways.
But I feel pretty confident that I would want the big stage/big room feeling from them. And ideally they would have some bass and not sound so flat like my AD700. I have seen people recommend the AD900X I think for that specific request but I believe there is something better than that.

Jun 23, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #10 of 25
Is that the TC version?

There is someone selling the Nightowl Carbon close to me. Same for the Nighthawks. But are they really what I am after? Then again that question is kinda difficult too answer considering how polarizing those Audioquest headphones are from the start. Something that makes this a bit more difficult for me is that I can't really specify the exact signature I am looking for. Be that bright, recessed or emphasized mids and so forth. For someone that has been interested in audio for years, I am quite the beginner in many ways.
But I feel pretty confident that I would want the big stage/big room feeling from them. And ideally they would have some bass and not sound so flat like my AD700. I have seen people recommend the AD900X I think for that specific request but I believe there is something better than that.

If they are close to you could you audition them before buying? The Nightowls are very decisive and I don't know if they have the bass you are after. I would not buy them without listening first. Again please try to read reviews of the modhouse argons on youtube as well as on forums. They have a wide soundstage and bass.

Jun 23, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #11 of 25
They are certainly interesting. Loving the options you can choose and seems too have gotten a really good reception. I wonder big the soundstage really is. That it is a closed headphone is worrying but every sign is pretty positive. Pretty cheap price too.
I could possibly audition them however I am not sure how good that would be without any dac. My phone has let me down more than once before when it comes too these things lol. Appreciate the help though Robert. The argons are very interesting too me so far.

Jun 23, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #12 of 25
The Argon does have a wide soundstage and a lot of bass but neither felt like it had good quality, but rather relied on quantity. They are comfortable, but they stay very loose on the head.

Jun 24, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #13 of 25
If you want something that's HD800/S -like for less money you should get the Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 Ohm).
If you want something warmer / fuller sounding (but still neutralish overall - unlike those Fidelios) you should consider the AKG K712 PRO.

Jun 24, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #14 of 25
The Argon does have a wide soundstage and a lot of bass but neither felt like it had good quality, but rather relied on quantity. They are comfortable, but they stay very loose on the head.

I wonder, and I'm by no means an expert on this matter, whether the amp played a part in what you heard. Aren't they very power hungry? Probably a bit overblown but who knows.

Also I wanted to make a more general agument in favour of actually buying the HD 800S is how it would stop make you wondering about whether you should buy one. Might be worth saving up instead of buying something still quite expensive but cheaper but still feeling the itch to upgrade.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #15 of 25
The thing that ends up disappointing me is that the headphones starts lacking the airy/big room effect and ends up feeling narrow.

Because physics. The primary variable is that they're right there on your head, they're not speakers in a room in the same way that two speakers in a large room can't really sound larger than that room.

There are some exceptions of course like how enough acoustic treatment can make the bass drum sound like it's coming from inside the wall behind the speakers or how some headphones sound like they're larger than the space between the drivers, but you still end up with compromises to get either. Like really expensive speakers and sound treatment all over the room. Or losing bass on the headphone. Not that the bass really is just weak outright, but what is sometimes perceived as "weak" bass is "bass getting imaged farther from your head," but unlike with speakers, it's not getting any help from making you feel a kick in the chest nor any other benefit of having those soundwaves all over the room, so your perception of it is even weaker.

Best strategy is to get around physics and just use earspeakers instead of headphones. Look for an AKG K1000.

I have tried looking around and one obvious choice that sticks out is HD800S but I fear that is a bit too steep for me. That ends up costing me around 1400 euros. While I can afford that, I rather not go that far.
I have seen similiar suggestions like some Fostex one etc but they end up around the same price or higher.
I would say I ideally do not want too spend more than 600-800 euros. Will be powered my audio gd fun. Wish I could search myself up too an answer but I have spent so much time on this and I get nowhere. Hoping someone else can relate a bit too what I am asking here. If there is something I need too specify then please ask or point it out too me. And thank you so much for reading this and possibly giving me some help on this

Well if you just want huge soundstage there's no substitute for a K1000. You'll just have to hang around used gear sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back