Tired of Beats and want a real headphone
Oct 28, 2011 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

ikenourmos

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I just joined and want to find the right headphone for me and I would love to hear from you guys

First I used to be Beats lover when they first came out and owned a Studio but it broke to pieces T.T
Then I found other brands which have better SQ for cheaper price but wow do they look ugly ... and I got tired from searching and ended up with Solo HD but after a week returned it because of discomfort and got Detox, the next day I returned it because they sounded like crap and amazingly uncomfortable. 
Now I want something that is comfortable to wear and pleasant to listen to when listening to any kind of music.
I liked Sonys XB700 and SA3000 in terms of looks but not really sure how they sound. (cannot find a store that have them in display)
So which of the 2 mentioned is good and comfy? and if there are better than these 2 pls feel free to advice me and i never used an amp so pls dont advice me sth need to be amped ^^
oh and for price range i would say max is 300$ (Beats fault ... my studio ... sniff sniff)

Oct 28, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 39
i own the  xb-700  and dont like how they sound , the bass is great tho   , not like they sound bad nopee just maybe coz i used higher phones so i found them  a downgrade

yesterday i tried the shure 840 and i really like them , they sound so clear  and the bass is great , over that they are comfortable and so cheap

other thing to advice the ultrasone pro 900 , they are so bassy and  so sound good ! they are 300 usd dollar so  around ur money    , they are comfort but not top comfort

you decide in the end  

Oct 28, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 39
so you used more headphones than I do lol
I didnt know shure made any headphones tho, i thought only mics ... (i guess u learn sth new everyday in life)
I always hear about Ultrasone, do pro900 need an amp to sounds good tho?

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #6 of 39

Quote:
so you used more headphones than I do lol
I didnt know shure made any headphones tho, i thought only mics ... (i guess u learn sth new everyday in life)
I always hear about Ultrasone, do pro900 need an amp to sounds good tho?

yah 

shure made some great headphones and some high end IEM  too ,  there is the shur940  their top product headphone but i didnt tried them yet 

from what i understand that you need a closed headphone that have a good mount of bass and comfort with great sound  without amp  that why i suggest some in that genre  so yah the ultrasone is so great headphones   without an amp ,  and i forgot to mention the denon d2000 its around the 250$ have great sound with good bass and so comfort and dont need amp too , so if you can give them a try it will be great 

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #7 of 39
I'm checking the D2000 now and it looks pretty nice
btw, I always hear about Open and Closed headphones... thats why I was confused when I looked at XB700 and SA3000.
is there really that much of a difference in terms of SQ???

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 39

Quote:
I'm checking the D2000 now and it looks pretty nice
btw, I always hear about Open and Closed headphones... thats why I was confused when I looked at XB700 and SA3000.
is there really that much of a difference in terms of SQ???

usually  open headphones are better than closed ones , coz they  more airy and easy to bring the good sound than the closed ones ,   not always tho 

and usually they need amp  ,  and that make a sense  coz they are open so you cant use them outside they will leak so much sound inside and in that why u need to use them in closed places like home or so , and they expect u to use an amp  

but the ultrasone and the denon are really great headphones without an amp and better than many open headphones , it just depend on ur ears and taste 

Oct 28, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #11 of 39

Quote:

usually  open headphones are better than closed ones , coz they  more airy and easy to bring the good sound than the closed ones ,   not always tho 

and usually they need amp  ,  and that make a sense  coz they are open so you cant use them outside they will leak so much sound inside and in that why u need to use them in closed places like home or so , and they expect u to use an amp  

but the ultrasone and the denon are really great headphones without an amp and better than many open headphones , it just depend on ur ears and taste 

I see, I still have much to learn then, I'm glad I asked here :)
So with open headphones anyone can hear what I am listening too apparently which can be annoying at some point.
My only safe option will be with closed ones and either Ultrasone and Denon. I'm surprised Sony isn't any good.

Oct 28, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #12 of 39
Open = Soundstage +
Closed = Bass +

There's nothing wrong with the XB500/700, they just sound a bit muffled. I love their bass impact. 
k701smile.gif

I haven't tried Denon but the Ultrasones are very nice for bass. They have S-Logic tech that produces a larger soundstage than in most closed headphones. It is noticeable and gives a '3D effect' when listening while still having great bass. Sort of a good compromise between closed and open cans.

Oct 28, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #13 of 39

Quote:
Open = Soundstage +
Closed = Bass +

There's nothing wrong with the XB500/700, they just sound a bit muffled. I love their bass impact. 
k701smile.gif

I haven't tried Denon but the Ultrasones are very nice for bass. They have this S-Logic tech that is like a compromise between open and close phones, by producing a larger soundstage than in most closed headphones. It is noticeable and gives a '3D effect' when listening while still having great bass.

hooo, sounds interesting 
I liked the XB series because of their amazing pillows-like cans but not sure about their bass, I tried the XB500 on bestbuy with my SE Arc and it was ok, i tried Skullcandy brown whatever edition and my ears are still bleeding, it had a very killer bass that i didn't had the time to notice the sound
I checked Amazon and Ultrasone and Denon looks good so far. still need to see more options to decide :)

Oct 28, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #14 of 39
I listen to a lit of rap on my Grado's and they are always good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back